Beware Sumac

I'm suffering my 2nd round of sumac outbreak this month thanks to those who have planted their caches in or around poison sumac in North Texas. Next time I'm taking a plant book so I can at least recongize it and turn around when I see it. Perhaps some cachers need that same book. Two out of thee people are allergic to it, and 15% of them have serious reactions, enough to close down breathing. BEWARE!!!

Trinket Towees

When I was in the Army I worked on a base in southern Ontario for a while. The base is COVERED in poison ivy. Parts of the base are quarentine because of the PI!

Apparently back in the 50's or 60's a defence experiment was done to breed the meanest strain of Posion Ivy known to mankind!!!

The idea was simple: Plant PI around your base so that when the enemy attacked they would have to attack through the PI. The next day you could guarantee they were ineffective because you'd have battalions of itchy scratchy soldiers.

A very unique form of BIOLOGICAL WARFARE!!!!

Unfortunatly the PI spread out of control. I remember walking through FIELDS of it! One morning we were on patrol and were walking up this steep hill. The sun was coming up and as it did I noticed the morning dew glistening off the distinctive 3 leaves of PI... FOR AS FAR AS THE EYE COULD SEE!!! I prayed to god that I wouldn't slip and fall on this steep bank!!!!

Another time I really had to take care of some personal business so I grabbed a shovel and some paper and headed into the woods. I could NOT find a safe place to do my thing so finally, I had to stop where I was and pray that I didn't fall over!!!

Whenever we came in off exercise we would walk through vats of chemicals to get the PI off our boots. Even then guys would get it. We had to do PI checks every day. I had a rash that they thought was PI. Every morning for 3 days I got to leave my company in the field with their field rations and take a truck into the main part of the base. I would have a nice hot shower while my cloths were washing in the PI washers. I'd then have a great breakfast and then head over to the MIR where a young female medic would rub cortezone (spelling) cream on the rash, which just happened to be on the inside of my legs just above the knees!!! icon_smile.gif

Needless to say, I wasn't exactly upset about having PI. Fortunatly for me it wasn't PI and was probably a heat rash. I knew a female who had sexual relations with a fellow soldier who she didn't know had PI. She ended up in the hospital with INTERNAL PI icon_frown.gif {I'll leave that up to your imagination.}

Thankfully there are no caches in Southern Ontario anywhere near this base. If there ever is one I'll be sure to visit it and I'll warn people if I see PI there!!!

Remember... Leaves of Three, let it Be!!!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

When I was in the Army I worked on a base in southern Ontario for a while. The base is COVERED in poison ivy. Parts of the base are quarentine because of the PI!

Apparently back in the 50's or 60's a defence experiment was done to breed the meanest strain of Posion Ivy known to mankind!!!

The idea was simple: Plant PI around your base so that when the enemy attacked they would have to attack through the PI. The next day you could guarantee they were ineffective because you'd have battalions of itchy scratchy soldiers.

A very unique form of BIOLOGICAL WARFARE!!!!

Unfortunatly the PI spread out of control. I remember walking through FIELDS of it! One morning we were on patrol and were walking up this steep hill. The sun was coming up and as it did I noticed the morning dew glistening off the distinctive 3 leaves of PI... FOR AS FAR AS THE EYE COULD SEE!!! I prayed to god that I wouldn't slip and fall on this steep bank!!!!

Another time I really had to take care of some personal business so I grabbed a shovel and some paper and headed into the woods. I could NOT find a safe place to do my thing so finally, I had to stop where I was and pray that I didn't fall over!!!

Whenever we came in off exercise we would walk through vats of chemicals to get the PI off our boots. Even then guys would get it. We had to do PI checks every day. I had a rash that they thought was PI. Every morning for 3 days I got to leave my company in the field with their field rations and take a truck into the main part of the base. I would have a nice hot shower while my cloths were washing in the PI washers. I'd then have a great breakfast and then head over to the MIR where a young female medic would rub cortezone (spelling) cream on the rash, which just happened to be on the inside of my legs just above the knees!!! icon_smile.gif

Needless to say, I wasn't exactly upset about having PI. Fortunatly for me it wasn't PI and was probably a heat rash. I knew a female who had sexual relations with a fellow soldier who she didn't know had PI. She ended up in the hospital with INTERNAL PI icon_frown.gif {I'll leave that up to your imagination.}

Thankfully there are no caches in Southern Ontario anywhere near this base. If there ever is one I'll be sure to visit it and I'll warn people if I see PI there!!!

Remember... Leaves of Three, let it Be!!!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

This is one of the reasons that I always wear long pants when going after a geocahce, I'd rather have to sweat a little than have to experience poison ivy again. I've found military fatigues in very lieghtwiehgt material and a buy kahki color to avoid the rambo look when I am caching in local parks.

quote:
Originally posted by laraley:

heh, heh, heh, evil wicked laugh. I am NOT allergic to those plants. Never have been.

Unless you are almost 60, cross your fingers and don't gloat. It is quite common for people with a exceptionally low reaction to urushiol (that nasty poison oil in these plants) to suddenly develop a fairly severe reaction somewhere between their late 20's and late 50's. It might be hormonal, there is actually a binding protein involved, or it might be slight enzyme variations, but it happens.

I once saw a camper learn this first hand. She attempted to show off her immunity by squating in a large poison oak bush and answering the call of nature. By Sunday night, she was a truly, and I mean truly, miserable camper.

Sometimes, Fortuna smiles on us... icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by laraley:

heh, heh, heh, evil wicked laugh. I am NOT allergic to those plants. Never have been.

Unless you are almost 60, cross your fingers and don't gloat. It is quite common for people with a exceptionally low reaction to urushiol (that nasty poison oil in these plants) to suddenly develop a fairly severe reaction somewhere between their late 20's and late 50's. It might be hormonal, there is actually a binding protein involved, or it might be slight enzyme variations, but it happens.

I once saw a camper learn this first hand. She attempted to show off her immunity by squating in a large poison oak bush and answering the call of nature. By Sunday night, she was a truly, and I mean truly, miserable camper.

Sometimes, Fortuna smiles on us... icon_wink.gif