CamelBacks and similar: need info on quality, care, and cleanliness.

Sissy-n-CR

I've been seeing a lot of references to Camelbacks and, I suppose, work-alikes.

What's the quality of these things? Do they last? Am I understanding correctly these things can be user repaired, fixed, or parts swapped out?

What about care? How do you clean these things? How often? I'm hesitant say, but what about "back wash?"

Answers, Markwelling, and/or good unbiased site is appreciated.

CR

72057_2000.gif

I found the Camlbak bladders hard to keep clean, harder to dry and I didn't like the plastic taste that seemed to get in the water. I replaced all my Camlbak bladders with Platypus hydration bladders. They don't impart an odd taste and have a ziploc opening on one end, making washing and drying it a snap. I was concerned about the ziploc closures leaking, but they haven't yet (I've had them about a year).

You can use the Platypus with any pack, but it's best if the pack is hydration compatable.

Backwash hasn't been an issue. At least I haven't noticed any "floaters" in my water.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

The new camelbak bladders have a larger opening, making it easier to clean and fill than the old ones. My huaman has a peak bagger, and loves it, says it is more comfortable than any of the others that were tried. icon_razz.gif When my human lets my have a drink I don't notice any plastic taste, maybe they have changed plastics. icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by marwagsalot:

When my human lets my have a drink I don't notice any plastic taste, maybe they have changed plastics. icon_rolleyes.gif

What "taste" critique can you expect from a dog that drinks from toilet bowls? icon_biggrin.gif

I just ordered my peak bagger Saturday, so I'll see if my sense of taste is any different.

I did order the bladder dryer, also. (A frame you insert to hold it open to dry.)

DustyJacket

...If life was fair, a banana split would cure cancer.

I have the new wide mouth bladder on my Camelbak MULE, and did notice some plastic taste for the first few uses, but the taste is unnoticeable now (or maybe plastic is an acquired taste?) The drying frame is good to have if you choose not to store the empty-but-still-wet bladder in the freezer.

As for durability of the MULE, I have the military/industrial version which has a more heavy duty construction than the consumer version, but costs more and doesn't have some of the extra internal organizer doodads (technical term)

Groundhound

and 5 of them are Camelbak. We have two Military HAWGs, one Military MULE, one Military SABER, and one civilian MULE. I will not mention the others since they are inferior. Leaky mouthpiece, hard to clean/dry... etc.

To see a Camelbak Military HAWG, look here:Camelbak HAWG with gear.

This is the pack and accssories I carry ALMOST every time I go out. It is also part of an interesting thread where you might get other ideas.

The fit and finish of the military products is first rate. The plastic taste goes away soon. The large-mouth bladder IS NOT hard to clean and/or dry. These are tough products made for combat. Having been in that field, I would say with confidence that I wish I had a HAWG when I was there. I have tried several others. For my purpose, the Camelbak military products are first-rate.

Good luck in your choice.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

I have two MULES and I have zero complaints (got the second updated version because I liked the slightly larger size, and style). I use mine primarily for skiing and mtn. biking and they have both held up very nicely. I worked for a retailer that carried them, and I never saw a single one come back with a defect or being broken.

Cleaning them is actually pretty easy, just a few drops of dish washing liquid, shake it around and rinse. I think it is important to let it dry fully and I usually hang mine up so everything can dry, propping the bag open with a clothes pin. I've heard that if you do forget to clean it, and it gets a little scummy inside, just put in a bit of bleach and rinse well.

The only time you notice a plasticy taste is at first use. It either goes away, or you become accustom to it.

The price is steep, but if you've got the cash to burn, I think it's well worth it.

I've used the Peak Bagger with the wide-mouth bladder and am extremely happy. The Peak Bagger is one of the largest Camelbaks (for gear storage) so if you don't need a whole lot of room you may want to get a smaller model.

The PB does the trick for weekend treks (say...2 nights) with enough storage and lash points to attach all the bring-alongs. My only niggly item is the waist belt. For heavier loads it would be nice to have a more substantial belt with padding. However, I believe the design of the PB was targeted for day-hikes or, at most, a light overnight.

With the loads that I have carried, I have yet to find a seam rip or failure of any kind. I expect the military models to be virtually indestructable.

Cheers,

BP

I'm happy with mine: it's light, comfortable, easy to clean and the plastic taste does disappear quickly.

But the one thing that bugs me is the lack of insulation on the hose, causing it to freeze when the weather is cold enough icon_mad.gif

I guess I could just place vodka in there to remedy that icon_biggrin.gif

A cache a day keeps the blues away...

Camelbak Trans Alp. Hold 100oz liquid, easy access to the bladder by means of of zip door, ventilated back pad so your back don't get as sweaty, and lots of storage space and straps, with a built in pack cover in case it rains. Put it on and it stays in place and it's very comfortable.

I've been using camelbaks for about 5-6 years and I'm not the most careful with the bladders. I've never had one puncture and I've only had one get nasty green inside once.

If you just keep water in them, it's not to much trouble keeping them clean. If you start filling them with sports drinks or anything else, that's when you have to watch for growth and slime.

Camelbak used to sell a cleaing kit with a long brush you could use to clean the drink tube. You can also buy a bladder hanger that holds the bladder open so it dries completely.

Hot water and dish soap can take care of most nasties. The newer bladders have nice big openings so you can get a bottle brush in there to scrub all the corners. If it get's really nasty, drop a little bleach in there but just make sure to rinse it well.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

I've got a MULE, and love it!

Plenty of space for all my cache goodies/tools.

Only thing I dont like about it is that the chest strap is not long enough (& I'm NOT that big in the chest either icon_frown.gif), and the cheesy waist belt.

Also found the loop andle on top of the pack to be a nuisance as it tends to lay forward and rub across my neck. I did find that I can tie it down with the two zippers for the top compartment.

I LOVE all the rings and loops on the shoulder straps! I can clip my cell phone and two or three GPS's on at once..

As to the bladder, I used SOBE in it the first few times I ever used it, so the plastic taste wasnt noticable at all. As to drying, I stick a baster with a bulb on it, and a large wooden spoon in it to keep it open to dry....

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

http://www.ttora-ne.mainpage.net/

quote:
Only thing I don't like about it is that the chest strap is not long enough (& I'm NOT that big in the chest either ), and the cheesy waist belt.

Is that so? Not to be a pain... But, you must understand that this item was designed for the military. They have a very strict size requirement. So, even though you may not be large by public standards.... Are you within military standards?

Just something to think about. As I said... The camelback was not meant for the public, but the military.

Zahrim....

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night.

Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

I have a HAWG and it's great. I question it's size though because it really cannot hold much. I think I would get the Rim Runner or something in between next time.

Of course this has never been an issue for me since most hike's don't require more than a few hours worth of equipment.

They are not that hard to clean. Once you hang them all the water goes out. I must admit that the very last bit of water does collect in that flap above the opening. That is a pain to get out.

Peace!

Sygyzy

I love to run with my Camelbak.

A great thing to do during the summer is to freeze the water in it. You just throw the whole thing in the freezer. Then it melts while you are out for several hours. It's great-ice cold water even on the hottest days and you gotta an air conditioner on your back.

Only problem with freezing the whole thing is if you run, or bounce around a lot. What happens is the bottom of the chunk of melting ice in the bag creates a razor sharp bottom edge as it erodes. This sharp bottom eats right through the bottom of the bag. This is what happens with the plastic bags-those like thick freezer bags. The great news is-Camelbak sells a polyeurthane bladder that is impervious to the sharp edge of the ice.. thus, you can freeze it will! I've used the this Camelbak version for about a year and haven't had it pop-no sign of wear

Oh yeah

Thanks everyone!

I've been eyeing the military grade HAWG which seems completely different than the civilian version except in basic size and shape. Plus, unless I'm missing something, the military grade is insulated and the civilian is not. I could be wrong and would like clarification.

The HAWG seems about the right size for the stuff that I'm carrying now in a bookbag. icon_rolleyes.gif

I appreciate all of the input and if there's anything else to add, feel free.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by -=(GEO)=-:

I'm happy with mine:

But the one thing that bugs me is the lack of insulation on the hose.

The military version HAS an insulated hose. In fact, it is also colored. I have seen black, green, and tan. I like tan for the desert, helps keep it cooler. It doesn't often freeze here. You might prefer the black.

I suggest E-mailing Camelbak to see if you might get one. I believe I have seen them under ascessories on the mil-side of the web site. Try this link:Camelbak Accs.

They are cheaper at the Fort Bliss PX, so look in a PX if you have access. Good luck.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
Originally posted by Zahrim:

Is that so? Not to be a pain... But, you must understand that this item was designed for the military. They have a very strict size requirement. So, even though you may not be large by public standards.... Are you within military standards?

Just something to think about. As I said... The camelback was not meant for the public, but the military.

_Zahrim....

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night.

Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."_

Actually, camelbak was designed by a mountain biker for mountian bikers. It started as a simple IV type drip bag inside a make shift back pack. The whole point was so that you wouldn't have to reach down for your water bottle while on the trail. Other uses expanded from that.

george

39570_500.jpg

I'd go with the Peak Bagger. I don't care for the Mule since it looks like I'd constantly overload it. Judging from the number of them I saw at the Grand Canyon last year, CamelBak is the most popular brand.

The Peak Bagger has the most storage of any of them. You can usually get them on Ebay for around $70-$80. The stores around here want $125.

Avoid the auctions by "savers72"!!! I just checked and they want thirty dollars for shipping and handling.

I'd go with the Peak Bagger. I don't care for the Mule since it looks like I'd constantly overload it. Judging from the number of them I saw at the Grand Canyon last year, CamelBak is the most popular brand.

The Peak Bagger has the most storage of any of them. You can usually get them on Ebay for around $70-$80. The stores around here want $125.

[This message was edited by CreagerStone Family on February 04, 2003 at 10:05 AM.]

I guess what I really need to do is gather all of my gear, go get the stuff I want to add to it--like 50' 1/2" rope, 100 1/8" line with throw bag, and more--lay it all out and see if it'd all fit. Sissy is probably going to want one, as well, so a lot of the stuff can be divided between the two of us with me carrying the bulk of it.

CR

72057_2000.gif

Ahhh, so now you need TWO!!! Funny how that works. Recently, I bought a military-quality MULE from Team Shuey's online store. (hey, why not support a geocacher who gives us discounts?) While I was there, I also picked up a little 50 ounce WaterPro. That way, if I am out with my daughter, she'll have her own water source. And, if I'm on my own, I'll have my choice of Camelbacks depending on whether I'm traveling light or taking a longer hike.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

If there's no accounting for stupidity, then why do I need to file a tax return?

_Zahrim....

Actually, yes, I am within military standards, if you wanna call being a former Marine within standards. icon_biggrin.gif

I have like a 34" waist, and about a 42" chest.

Very average sized, yet I am hard pressed to latch the chest strap even over a lite jacket. The waist strap seems to be in an awkward place when used. I DO understand that it is placed high to probably clear a MOLLE setup...

I got my MULE from Shuey also....

Semper Fi!

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

http://www.ttora-ne.mainpage.net/

I'm pretty much decided on a military grade CamelBak from Shuey, but got another question. Will the 7.62mm ammo can (the standard smaller one) fit inside a MULE or a HAWG comfortably? That's our cache repair kit.

Another question for the military HAWG owners, does it have inside compartments or pouches?

TIA

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

I'm pretty much decided on a military grade CamelBak from Shuey, but got another question. Will the 7.62mm ammo can (the standard smaller one) fit inside a MULE or a HAWG comfortably? That's our cache repair kit.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/72057_2000.gif

NO chance.

george

39570_500.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

Will the 7.62mm ammo can (the standard smaller one) fit inside a MULE or a HAWG comfortably?

MULE no way, but I think it would fit in a HAWG. I know it will fit in a BlowFish, because I have carried several in mine and still had room for snack, poncho, first-aid kit, powerbar etc.

We have a military outfitter here in Atlanta called "Brigade Quartermasters", and they carry the military Motherlode in stock. I went and looked it over, and these are my impressions.

First off, this thing is HUGE. Much bigger than the HAWG (which I have the commercial version of). I rarely carry enough stuff to fill the HAWG, so this one's far too big for me.

There are a lot more external attach points for things, which is nice. The whole back panel is filled with 'biner loops.

The general construction of this thing is very rugged. The fabric appears to be heavy cordura-type stuff rather than the ripstop nylon of the commercial versions. The zippers are under flaps so they're not visible when zipped shut. All of the stitching is overengineered and not likely to come apart before the pack itself does.

The reservoir and hose are made of a brown/tan plastic, not the usual blue, and the fittings are more rugged-looking. The hose is insulated. The reservoir compartment is zippered rather than velcro'd shut like my HAWG's.

There are a few subdivisions in the inside compartments, along with some nice pockets with elastic snap-straps to hold equipment in place.

I wish I could see a military HAWG in person, since I think that's what I really want, but all BQM carries is the Motherlode.

--

Scott Johnson (ScottJ)