2 way radios

Nope, never used them while caching. I can't really see a reason to break them out since we only have one GPSr. We do use them, (we have 2 sets) while out and about. The kids are finally old enough to explore on their own. They are great tools, I think I'll take them on our next trip to Vegas! More reliable than cell phones, I'd guess.

Og

Prophetically Challenged (or is that Pathetically?)

Our Rino's are the ultimate caching equipment, although we don't use channel 2. Our goal is to find the cache, to warn each other of muggles and if we get separated, to find each other again. We did use FRS radios before the Rino's arrived, but separate devices can get pretty cumbersome.

If you're a caching couple, radios are just about a must.

I take them sometimes, but we only really needed them once. It was a multi cache, where each leg had two sets of coordinates, one correct and one false. So we split the team to chase each set of coordinates and used the radios to keep in touch. If a team found the next stage, we'd radio the others to tell them to call off the search and to come to our coordinates. They really saved us a lot of time.

The other times we brought them along, we didn't use them because we never got far enough apart to need them.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

We use ours quite a bit. We always take our kids out caching with us. When the terrain gets too rough for the kids to traverse, my wife will often stay back with them, and I'll go find the cache and bring it back. The radios help keep us in touch if I am gone too long or whatever.

--RuffRidr

quote:
Originally posted by st_richardson:

BTW... There is a way to set them up to talk around a corner. I did it once as a kid. Anyone else out there done it?

I'd guess using a spring would probably work. As long as the string can vibrate the sound can keep traveling down to the next can.

----------------------------------------------------------------

"A noble spirit embiggins the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield

----------------------------------------------------------------

My wife and I use them quite a bit. Usually when we are caching, one of us will have the GPS and the other will be looking around and we'll get separated. She ain't real good at hollering and I ain't real good at hearing so we use them to keep in touch. Sometimes she won't want to climb that hill/crash that brush/walk in that/go through there so I go off and leave her on the trail and she helps me find my way back. They were a good investment.

Has anyone ever spoken over the radio with another cacher that you didn't take with you, or plan on meeting at a cache? I'd bring one if I thought I'd use it for something other than running down the batteries.

"I'm 35 Years old, I am divorced, and I live in van down by the river!" - Matt Foley

We fell into a situation where we could have used them last weekend...

We came up to some rougher terrain, so Puppy went up to scout while I stayed behind. I called up and asked if there was a way to get down the other side, and he said yes, and that it'd be easier for me if I went around the side of the peak. I went and traversed down that side of the peak, only to find that he was nowhere to be seen on the other side... and that I couldn't figure out a way to get back up, since the slope I came down was too steep, and the side up to where Puppy was was fairly sheer with maybe a platform every 4 feet, which was quite difficult for me to traverse to get back up. Of course, not knowing where he was, whether he'd gone up or down, I sat for a while, had myself a panic attack, got myself a case of heat stroke while already dehydrated... finally scrambled back up the cliff, and still couldn't find him... Then I heard him call to me from the woods, thank god. It didn't help that he was wearing his camo gear! (Turns out he'd called to me as an afterthought and said the way down was too steep... and didn't realize I was already on my way down and couldn't hear.) We never did find that cache... But now we know where it is! *laughs*

A great serial killer once said, "Beauty is only skin deep. Trust me, I've looked..."

More often than not, my wife will wait in the car with the baby (now 6 mos) while I grab a cache. The 2-way radio gives her huge peace of mind that I haven't broken a leg or been eaten by whatever roams out of her sight. icon_biggrin.gif It was well worth the $$ for them!

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

I always have a radio with me in the woods. It is very rare that I can get a cell signal so radio is about it. Helps a lot for night time land nav without a GPS as well as a safety backup. While I do have FRS & GMRS I normally carry a Yaesu VX-7 144/440 amateur with the car set to cross-band. I also normally carry a fire department portable with me.

VX-7R_thumb.jpg

quote:
Can someone explain what the difference in a FRS radio and just a 2 way like I have with 14 channels and a 5 mile range is? Thanks!

You have a GMRS radio, which requires a FCC license. A FRS radio has a two mile range and does not require a license.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

FRS=Family Radio Service and GMRS=General Mobile Radio Service. The GMRS usually requires FCC license and is a higher transmitting wattage, thus greater distance.

quote:
Originally posted by BullDogBob:

Can someone explain what the difference in a FRS radio and just a 2 way like I have with 14 channels and a 5 mile range is? Thanks!

"WITHOUT GEOGRAPHY YOU'RE NOWHERE....Jimmy Buffett

quote:
Originally posted by BullDogBob:

"WITHOUT GEOGRAPHY YOU'RE NOWHERE....Jimmy Buffett

FRS (Family Radio Service) Radio are limited to .5 watts of power and with a lot of luck you will get a 2 mile range. THe 5 mile radio GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) has more power and with luck you will get 5 miles on range, the GMRS radio also require a License to operate legally. The FRS does not require a license. On a side note, if you are planning on going over seas, the FRS and GMRS radio sold in the US are not allowed in most other countries, GMRS is not allowed in Canada for one.

My self I use a VX-7 and VX-5 ham radios. My girl freind and I are both hams, it is a very easy license to get and the cost is $10.00 for 10 years.

The range on FRS has little to do with wattage/power and a LOT to do with the antenna. It is against FCC regulations to alter the antenna, and that's why I never admit to doing it. But if I was going to, I'd make it a lot higher off the ground. This is made difficult since radios that are approved by the FCC for sale don't have external antenna jacks.

I like to have things that I might not need, extra batteries, a first aid kit, a two way radio... Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it! Of course I sometimes carry things that add up with in the weight dept, but the hiking with a heavy load keeps my legs the way my wife likes them. icon_wink.gif

So, I don't want anyone accusing me of straying off topic... I recommend taking a radio, in fact, perhaps we should compile a list of things we geo-types consider standard and when someone registers, the site sends them a document that lists them.

ie.. Channel 2 Code 0 is the standard GEO freq

What do you think? Might this warrant it's own thread for ideas?

Frank

Regarding these radios . . .

I have looked at many in Walmart, etc. Most seem to run off of a varying number of AAA batteries. I have found a set or two that run AA batteries. These, however, seem to be far more costly than most of the other models.

I would prefer a set of radios that run AAA batteries. Can anyone recommend a decent set that is inexpensive?

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

I think that's a great idea, I was thinking about putting together a list of pointers on what you guys consider good form and bad form, but if we put these two together in their own little faq type thing it would be really great for newbies...

----

Extra batteries for GPS, don't leave home without 'em.

I have them turned on when I go to a caching event. But otherwise I take them but keep them off while I cache solo. I don't bring along a cellphone, so if I get in trouble I have my frs atleast. And as pointed out above Chan 2 sub 0

I bought a GPS. Now I get lost with style.

I usually take a radio with me. We use them mosty for camping, hiking and sking. They're great for car to car communication while we're on our way to the campsite or slope. They're also great when hiking with the family since the kids like to get out ahead of the old man. Wish I had these when the Ski Patrol rescued me off the mountain with a broken collar bone. The kids were no where to be found, they were skiing ahead of me.

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

Henny Youngman (1906 - 1998)icon_cool.gif

We will be using radio's on the combined 1000th finds for Team Dakiba and the Ventura Kids. The grand event will take place on Sept 7th. We will be finding The Chamber of Secrets cache. Channel 6 subchannel zero will be the channel used. If you want to be part of this historic event, come join us.

Ventura Kid and Spider Dude

Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

I found that FRS/GMRS radios sound better(clear transmissions) when using same brands and models.

I've used a pair of Kenwood UBZ-LH14 at work for years. I use the privacy scrambling feature which sounds much clearer than the scramble on any Motorola's.

Even using different models of the same brand can lower sound quality. I have Motorola models T7200 T6250 and I returned the T6420. The T6420 had a very poor speaker.

I tested the range of the T6420 with my friends T6250. I made it out to 6.7 miles, across a valley, before losing understandable communication.

Anyways the T6250 sounded much better than the T6420. So I returned it and picked up a T6250.

The T7200 is the best of the Motorola. Best range with 2watts. Again sounds best with another T7200.

I still use the Kenwood at work. We don't exceed 1/2 mile away from each other. The Scramble feature is exclusive to brands. Since I have never seen another UBZ-LH14 being used by anyone else. I don't think anyone can eavesdrop on us.

39197_3500.jpg39197_3600.jpg

POWDER!!!!!!