Question on Members Only caches

dogsoldier

I'm debating whether or not to pay the $30 to be able to access "members only" caches. When it comes right down to it, I'm probably willing to pay the $30 even if there aren't member caches, just because the free things on the site are well worth it. But...is there any way to know how many "members only" caches are out there? I'd like to have some idea about how many more caches I can expect. I live in the Denver area.

That's been the line from the get-go. There's no guarantee that there will be any member caches at all, nor that they will be of higher quality.

If you decide to pay, do it because you want to support the site, or because you like the Pocket Queries (customized cache reports e-mailed automatically to you).

And while your at it I'd like a stack of 20's tall as me. icon_biggrin.gif

Really, it's about supporting the site. And then YOU can be the first to place a members only cache and ask only that people trade up or even and no McToys.

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

I feel much more like I do now than when I first got here.

Dog,

I don't know about your area, but there aren't any member caches in my 100-mile radius.

I paid my $30 cuz this is a cool site... and I had the extra cash. My situation is a little different now, and I may forego the paid membership next year, although I'd miss the pocket queries.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

I paid my $30 cuz this is a cool site... and I had the extra cash. My situation is a little different now, and I may forego the paid membership next year, although I'd miss the pocket queries.

I went for the $3/mo paypal method, its less painful and I hardly feel woozy afterward. icon_smile.gif

The closest members only cache to you is Geode Cache. It's about 40 mile south of where you are.

I became a member more for to support the website and to keep the pop-ups away. Since then the pocket queries have come in very handy.

The Church says that the Earth is flat, but I know that it is round. For I have seen the shadow on the moon and I have more faith in the Shadow than in the Church.

- Ferdinand Magellan

There are no Member Only caches within 100 miles of my home, yet. But the Pocket Query feature is great. I get an e-mail each week with coordinates for the caches I choose, ready to download into my Magellan 315. (Use EasyGPS along with the Query feature).

I suggest you pay the $30, then use the Pocket Query. To find Member Only caches, just select that box only, and if one comes up the program will e-mail you the results.

FWIW

I went ahead and paid the $30 and have not regretted it. I just checked the cache locator, and there is exactly one member's cache in a 100 mile radius of my home.

If gaining access to the member's cache were my only reason for divvying up my hard-earned cash, then I would certainly have to be disappointed. But, like the others who have responded to this thread, there are other benefits that are to me worth the price of admission.

I don't use many of the benifits of being a member...I just want to support the site. I have about 5 MOCs due to newbies not being responsible...I figure if you pay the 30.00 then you are responsible...could be wrong...but won't be the first time.

El Diablo icon_biggrin.gif

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

I went for the $3/mo paypal method, its less painful and I hardly feel woozy afterward.

But that's more money. $36 per yer versus $30. I don't know about you, but I'd rather pay $30 for something than $36. I'm just not sure my part-time employment gives me the freedom to pay for something I *really* don't need.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by st_richardson:

It's extremely nice, however, to have the pocket queries. They let me download info to my palm and not have to print and carry all the printouts caching with me.

A couple folks mentioned pocket queries as being a benefit.

I have not paid for a subscription. I download the pages to a Pocket PC and avoid the paper issue that way. Sure, there is a slight scroll I encounter because of the left side bar, but frankly, I only pull it out when I am in need of looking at descriptions. If I really were bothered by this, I could re-orient the screen.

Supporting the site is a fine reason for membership, but pocket queries seem to be just like Member Only caches . . . interesting, but hardly worth the expense.

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

This site needs to "market" Pocket Queries better. From the descriptions on the site, one would think they just create a LOC file you can put on your Palm. In fact, they are power searches that each automatically run as often as once a day (you get five as a member). They allow you to search by type (want to ignore virtuals?), found/not (by you or by anyone else), which have travel bugs, which are less than a week old, etc. You don't need a Palm to use them, just the free EasyGPS software.

I have one query set to tell me daily what new caches are near my home, one for near work, and others to watch for new caches in areas I plan to visit soon.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

"It doesn't take a nucular scientist to pronounce 'foilage'." --Marge Simpson

I thought the $30 was worth just supporting the site. Come to find out the pocket queries are pretty cool, too!

I use one to query for traditional caches, one for virtuals, one for multi's, and one for letterboxes--all within 120 miles and I haven't found. I then go in a bulk change the GC designation on virtuals to VC, MC for Multi's and LB for letterboxes. This way I can tell what kind of caches it is from the waypoint name on my GPS.

Alos, I upload the file to MSS&T to see what caches I can go after.

Then on Tuesday, I have a query run on all of the caches I've found and I upload that to MSS&T so I can get a visual representation of where I've been.

This has taken quite a bit of workload off. I can see where I've been and see what to go after and not worry about the dang lag from the site maps.

Now, if I could automate THAT a little bit, I'd be happy.

icon_wink.gif

But, like I said, I paid my $30 just to support the site.

CR

72057_2000.gif

I paid to support the site and think that its a very small price to pay for so much fun. I just placed a MOC in my area and put alot more effort into setting it up (2weeks) and making it very interesting. I think it helps in several ways 1st you may get some to sign up as members and we ALL benifit. 2nd you can trust that items such as travel bugs will not go MIA and the quality of the cache should stay nice. Maybe Im just hoping this is the case but from seeing most members in here I think Im right.

Joined to get the downloads of caches onto my PDA and to support the site. If you have a PDA or you can use the other format, these are truly worth the money.

MOC's are cool in that you can try a new format and be sure that serious cachers are going to find it first, but they aren't what they are cracked up to be. Let mine go public. Its still so tricky that most of the cachers in the area haven't gotten it yet...Not that I brag.

remybussi.gif By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I. remybussi.gif