Nuclear Submarine

The current USGS aerial photos used by ExpertGPS shows a nuclear submarine at N30 42.629 W81 22.949. This is the mouth of Nassau Sound (no not the Bahama's) this is near Kings Bay Georgia and Fernanadina Beach Florida in Northeast Florida. Kings Bay only houses the nukes and I have seen them going in and out of their numerous times. The JFK is stationed there. If you have ExpertGPS or access to current USGS aerials give it a try.

On the other hand, you have different fingers.

15777_2200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

http://www.lostoutdoors.com/map.php?map=30.710483,-81.382483&t=1&z=1&s=2&id=&mark=30.710483,-81.382483,255,0,0,7,* to make it quick and painless to take a look.

And if you look at the topo version of those coords you'll see that they are dead center in the channel too. Wouldn't expect anything less from a nuke captain.

The Bohican

--

Not Necessarily Interesting News

quote:
Originally posted by Team Bohica:

[And if you look at the http://www.lostoutdoors.com/map.php?map=30.710483,-81.382483&t=2&z=2&s=2&id=&mark=30.710483,-81.382483,255,0,0,7,* of those coords you'll see that they are dead center in the channel too. Wouldn't expect anything less from a nuke captain.

The Bohican

Yea they must have one of them little GPSr thingies to keep them on track. I bet it's a little yellow etrex, whatcha think.

15777_2200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Dale_Lynn:

Do you really think they use a $150 GPS?

duh!

Dale

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm Diagonally Parked, In A Parallel Universe.

--------------------------------------------------------

I guess they never make jokes in your Parallel Universe.

15777_2200.gif

I was a sonar technician on USS Topeka SSN754, the GPS systems on the submarines are a little more advanced than our hand helds. Here are some other TOPO's of submarines

This is a boomer being pushed to a pier in Bangor, WA 122.72812W 47.7462884N

This is a Fast Attack in Dry Dock Point Loma, CA 117.2347458W 32.6878294N

This is a Boomer under construction at Electric Boat in Groton, CT 72.0834573W 41.3478007N

This is the first Nuclear Powered vesel USS Nautilus in Groton, CT 72.0883139W 41.3871094N

It's a nuke alright, but can't be my #2 son's boat, as he's on one out of Guam at this time. #1 son will soon be on a surface ship out of Hawaii once he finishes his tour in Iceland.

I know, from Iceland to Hawaii.... hey, he was born on an island (Puerto Rico) while I was stationed there in the Navy so he comes by it honestly...LOL.

icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

It almost has to be a nuke, since the United States only has one non nuke left. And since it's coming out of Kings Bay that makes it almost certainly a trident, since they are the only subs permanently stationed there. The picture is definitely of a Trident, but in my five years on a fast attack, we ported in Kings Bay twice.. So keep looking