Cache Loot

What do you do with your cache loot? Do you exchange it at other caches or do you have a Geocache Museum set-up in your basement or garage? What items do you keep and not exchange again?....Just wondering...

In His Service,

"He shall restore what he has stolen, or what was delivered to him for safekeeping, or the lost thing which he found. He shall restore its full value, add one-fifth more to it, and give it to whomever it belongs." Leviticus 6:4,5

I have a shelf that I bought on eBay on the wall in my office with all the really cool stuff I've found in caches (including a brain shaped stress ball, several army men, a giant penny, a shuttle craft from Star Trek TNG, and several of the area cacher's signature items.

The stuff that I don't really want to hang on to either goes into other caches or gets passed on to my kids or someone else (all the magnets I find go on the fridge).

It does amaze me, though, after a year at this and over 100 finds, my shelf which has 16 little shelves inside it is barely half full. It really isn't about the stuff after all.

BTW, nice to see another guy in our line of work here. Welcome to the family. icon_wink.gif

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

Depends. If it's something I like and find useful, I'll keep it. If it's something I think may be useful to someone else, I'll trade it, or use it to seed one of my caches.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

quote:
Originally posted by WARedBear:

Okay...let's take this a little further...what items do you like to retreive from a cache? I would like to find pathces (I collect them), pins and the like. What is you favorite? icon_confused.gif

I'll go for fridge magnets, McToys & keychains. Those are probably the last things most people want but hey...one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Personalized & signature items are neat but never seem to find many around here.

Definitely patches. Foreign coins are cool, but the best has got to be geocoins or nice personal sig. items. Out here, Marwagsalot leaves small aluminum safety whistles behind as sig. items and they have got to be one of the most sought after items by may folks. Always a pleasure when we see one in a cache because we know someone will be happy.

We're starting to carry along new punch-balls to trade out for nice hot-wheels cars for Mr. Bink. It's so fun to find a nice car for a 2-year old!

Nice topic (even though I'm sure someone will point out that it's "been done" before. icon_wink.gif ) It's always a good idea for this type of thread because there's always someone new reading and hopefully it gives some people some good ideas on what to hide or trade!

Our last batch of "sig items" were tagged compasses labelled "Team BigM's Prehistoric Cache Locator." They went fast, and hopefully those that got 'em found them to be "keepworthy." icon_smile.gif

If you hide it, they will come.

Grandmaster Cache

Tank at: FISH WHISPERER'S LAGOON

I keep very little of what I find.I have a basket in my home office for cache loot and recycle most of it to other caches. That may say something about the quality of what we use in this region. Of course there are those keychains that I find myself strangely attracted to; but they all end up in here. icon_biggrin.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

Personally, I like finding travel bugs, and obviously, they'll get left in another cache. Often times, if I do a trade in a cache other than a travel bug, I'll end up dropping off the "loot" from one cache into the next one I find.

I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should happen to get back before I return, please ask me to wait.

Most of the time, I'll simply trade for something else in another cache. I really like bringing things from other states and placing them elsewhere.. for example, I found a really cool shell in California and brought it back to a cache in Nevada... we never get stuff like that in our caches.

I tend to trade for 'valuable' stuff (batteries, Where's George dollars, geocaching patches, etc.), so it usually gets used. Occasionally I'll take something with the intent of placing it in another cache.

Peggy, on the other hand, like to take fun little trinkets, so now every flat surface in our living room (out of reach of the cats, at least) has foreign coins, silver acorns, yellow alligators and the like.

Ron/yumitori

Sometimes I will recycle the items I have traded out, but if I have convinced my 3 1/2 year old to go caching with me (not an everyday proposition) she gets to keep whatever single item she picks. If I end up finding a micro and she is with me, she gets to pick something out of my "swag bag". Therefore, even though I recycle some stuff, I am always running at a defecit as far as cache loot goes.

"Could be worse...could be raining"