Stats page down?

So what I did was do each of my new caches in the "lost log" area and it picked them up one at a time. Might not be worth the time and trouble if you have a whole bunch of them to enter, but it only took a minute or two to do seven.

Might be worth a try.

icon_razz.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

quote:
Originally posted by Breaktrack:

So what I did was do each of my new caches in the "lost log" area and it picked them up one at a time. Might not be worth the time and trouble if you have a whole bunch of them to enter, but it only took a minute or two to do seven.

Might be worth a try.

icon_razz.gif

I tried that and it didn't pick them up. I'll give it another shot.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

It appears, for whatever reason, that the server that the stat site is on can no longer get access to the logs. The URL that it is using is fine, so it is either some kind of domain name resolution problem, or that server is being blocked from accessing the geocaching.com site. It will be sad to see that aspect of the sport disappear... icon_frown.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

I haven't. He is obviously tired of being bugged and I didn't want to make matters worse. I figured just posting the information here would eventually catch the eye of someone in the know. icon_smile.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Hmmmm, it seems you are right, but I swear it was working a couple of days ago...LOL.

I just tried to add another one through the "Missing Log" function and it did not work... I gave out of date advice.... I shall refrain from posting for a week to compensate.... er, well, how about four days, no, two days....dang, I'll try not to do this one post, how's that... icon_biggrin.gif

I've heard that geocaching.com will block sites that datamine this one for too much information. Certain sites in my opinion should get cart blanche to do this.

The long and short of it is that this sport is growing. If geocaching.com is going to be the mothership some way needs to be arrived at for others to use the site to keep local interest going.

Wherever you go there you are.

I just noticed there is a message on the stats page saying stats are down and he is trying to work out the details with geocaching.com.

I hope this gets worked out.

-------------------------------------

Hope is the destination that we seek.

Love is the road that leads to hope.

Courage is the motor that drives us.

We travel out of darkness into faith.

-=The Book Of Counted Sorrows=-

I've wondered about that site. I really don't use it because the stats are so out of whack. I was already over 60 or 70 finds and really didn't want to go throught the trouble of hunting down the missing caches. Besides, unless everyone did it, it wouldn't matter if mine were right.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea. As it is, I now look at everyone's profile to see how many they have. It's kind of fun to see how I'm gaining on people and so forth.

I know on one side there are those who like to have the stats, while on the other, for what ever reason, don't want to give it up. The result seems to bring to two very much at loggerheads and that's no good.

Now, I'm no programmer or anything, but here's my thought:

Maintain the list of finds based on the cacher, not the cache.

Do a one-time data transfer--probably in chunks over several days--of every cacher with their finds. Build a cache DB with position, size, type, etc.--basic information. Then you would have a data base linking each find to it's cache. Plus you should have enough information to crunch the numbers anyway you want.

Maintaining sync:

Everytime a find log is made to a cache, the email notification, that is sent out anyway, is BCC'ed to the other site. Then other site parses the email and adjusts it's DB. If the site gets a cache ID that is not in it's DB, then it requests that cache page only to get the proper information it needs.

Correcting mistakes:

If someone finds that their find count is off, they need to be able to correct it. The way it is now, you have to find the missing log. I think I have a better solution. In exchange for not data mining the site, GC.com creates a simple page that lists a user's caches found and date they were found. The site parses only that page to sync that person's stats.

I think if we have a less painful solution by cooperating that results in a much more accurate site, I think you'd have something.

Note: With amost 100,000 members, you'd probably want to restrict it to only those active in the past year and that have at least 1 find. No sock puppets!

I do realize the find count for a particular cache may be off with this scheme. This scheme is really for the accuracy of the cachers' find count and creating an accurate leader board.

Thoughts?

CR

72057_2000.gif

It would be good for both Dan AND geocaching.com to keep that stats page alive. Something like a GPX data feed being sent on Jeremy's timetable, so that the geocaching.com site is not impacted. Dan's site would be more accurate than the current scheme, and GC.com would not have an extra load placed on it. Everybody wins...

I think Dan's website has proved to be an invaluable resource to geocaching. I use it all the time to keep track of the caching activity that goes on in my state. I like reading about what others could or could not find, especially the ones I enjoyed locating myself. Sure beats setting up a huge watch list.

Not sure why Geocaching.com hasn't created something similar. I know they are not too keen on rating geocachers, but I think everybody would enjoy finding out who found caches in their little neck of the woods.

Hope they don't pull the plug too long.

quote:
Originally posted by The Boonie Man:

I think Dan's website has proved to be an invaluable resource to geocaching. I use it all the time to keep track of the caching activity that goes on in my state. I like reading about what others could or could not find, especially the ones I enjoyed locating myself. Sure beats setting up a huge watch list.

Not sure why Geocaching.com hasn't created something similar. I know they are not too keen on rating geocachers, but I think everybody would enjoy finding out who found caches in their little neck of the woods.

Hope they don't pull the plug too long.

Why hasnt Geocaching.com taken the lead in the stats stuff to begin with?

I look at the stats as well to see who is and isnt caching in the last few weeks.

The charter membership stuff was worth it to me for the mobipocket queries. It would make it evenmore worth it to others I'm sure, if a very current stats page was kept onsite!

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Cachin's a bit sweeter when you've got an Isha!

That is the part I used and miss now. In the good old days I used to use "Read the latest cache logs" on geocaching.com to see both what caches are being found and who is finding them for my area. But as geocaching grew more popular they would be off the list before I could read it. So I used Dan's site to see what was going on. I don't care about the number found. But now there is no way to see what local cachers and caches are doing.

...if GC.c provided the local stats like Dan does to members only, I think they would need to move to a larger space to accomodate the servers they would be able to afford. Maybe even a garage for the hummer. icon_wink.gif Ooops, wrong name again...mosie is going to be po'ed.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

quote:
Originally posted by spinwebby:

We have a number of people that are volunteering to help and we have had communications with Dan, but gc.com is not responding to us.

I'm not sure who's who or even who Dan is, but I can tell you that this is the first I've heard of this. If an IP is blocked for some reason, the block message contains the e-mail address of who to contact to correct the problem. That address goes to me, and I haven't received any e-mail about this issue.

So I guess I'm not sure how we're not responding. If anyone wants this issue addressed, please feel free to e-mail admin at Groundspeak and I'd be happy to look into it.

-Elias icon_confused.gif

The stats page has brought a lot of enjoyment to many geocachers. (See the MANY posts above and all the other times this has come up in the forums). Why don't you either develop one yourself or let other sites take care of it for you??? Infosponge proposed a reasonable solution in his earlier post. Listen to us Jeremy. We are some of your best customers.

Just like with other monopolies...a little competition would fix all this. It was so amazing how reasonable my local cable company became when another company was allowed in. Something to think about.

Geocaching.com's mandate, as it were, is to build and promote the sport of geocaching. I've noticed at least in my local area that media coverage seems to be very interested in the competitive aspect. When I was #1 in the Bay Area (however brief that stay may have been), I was contacted by a local newspaper reporter who ended up doing a story on geocaching. I can only guess that geocaching.com is worried about having this aspect of the sport being in the hands of some other site. We've seen similar things before. Buxley's Maps and blscearce's palmable geocaching come to mind.

--

I'm off in my own little world. That's okay, people know me here.

quote:
Originally posted by MaxEntropy:

Does anyone else have this problem?

When I try to list my caches on the cache list page, I can never get any to show up.

It always displays no caches found the defaults to Cincinnati where I've never been.

Mickey

Max Entropy

It's a little tricky. Enter your username in the appropriate box, then change the pull-down menu that's set to Cincinnati to 'Any'. That will give you all your logs. From there, you can select a state or country if you wish to get more specific. Or you can select just some of your logs (Found ones, for example) by making sure the correct boxes are checked and then clicking Go.

Keep in mind that the various fields act as if they are linked by ANDs. In other words, if you enter your name and the state of Washington without first setting city to Any, the result will be an empty list, since the software will try to find logs that are both in Cincinnati and Washington state.

Ron/yumitori