Cache in, Trash Out Motto.

I see alot of Geocachers sign off with this line, but to be totally honest, I wonder how many cachers actually come out of a cache area with anything but what they went in with. I see many caches along the way that it seems nobody still cares about humping out the trash in the surrounding area. Now I understand that in some places you couldnt carry enough garbage bags, but many have had some cans or candy bar wrappers right next to the cache, but nobody has taken the time to take it with them. Please everyone take something out of the area, and dispose of it, and this problem could lessen. I would love to save the world from its Trashy problem, yet I am only one person in a fruitless crusade. Seeker BP

I notice that there's a Cache In, Trash Out paragraph on the main www.geocaching.com page that says:

"Next time you go out to hide or seek out a cache, bring a trash bag along with you! Help clean up our world's forests one cache hunt at a time. If you have a camera, email us a photo of your cleanup and we'll create an online album to share our efforts."

However, I haven't been able to find the link to that online album. Has no one sent any pictures?

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

Great pictures! My son recently saw some garbage clean up crews (from the local prison) on a roadside and asked if they were trashing out! I explained that they were getting their exercise and cleaning up.

We carry bags with us when we hunt and/or hide caches so that we can trash out. Obviously, some places need more attention than others, but we do carry out more than we carry in most of the time.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I admit I do not do it on every cache hunt, but I do it quite often.

I have to keep in mind that what I take must fit in a garbage can.

I am a pretty active geocacher and with recycling at home..that leaves me with a half a garbage can to fill up.

There were times I hauled allot of trash from cache sites and It I had to take two garbage cans out for pickup.

Well an extra garbage can is not cheap.

With all the hunts I do each week, I am not able to cache in and trash out as much as I would like.

Two more things to say and then I will shut up.

I went caching up in the Columbia River Gorge area last Sunday (Dividing river between Oregon and Washington for the non-locals) and I was prepared to cache in and trash out. And I am quite proud to report that I did not find one piece of trash. And I looked quite a bit by a couple of the caches that I placed. I couldnt find a match stick, cigarette but, gum wrapper, nothing.

I am quite proud of the area and the people that work their butts off to keep it clean.

point number two http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=22638

See my log for 5/26/02...

Now that is what I call Caching in and trashing out.

I have to admit that I've done very little caching in, trashing out.

One reason for that is that about 1/3 of my finds have been while I was riding my bicycle or motorcycle, and I don't have the ability to carry trash bags (full or empty).

A few times, I've picked up some trash on the way out, but I can only grab as much as I can carry with my hands. A couple of cans or bottles and that's it.

The rest of the time? I forget, or I'm lazy. I haven't carried trash bags with me.

So far, in my 53 finds, I've only found one cache that had trash bags in it for trashing out activities. I took a bag and managed to only find an empty beer can and a styrofoam cup. (ironically, the bag blew out of the back of my truck somewhere on the way back from the cache icon_frown.gif )

What I found amusing is that in the logbook of that cache, several people mentioned taking a plastic sack (with a Smokey the Bear logo on it) but it's not clear whether they used them for trashing out. I think a number of them simply liked the bags.

The cache in, trash out aspect of this activity should be emphasized more. Like Zuck said, there are no pictures anywhere to look at of folks trashing out.

I'm willing to bet a majority of geocachers don't even know what cache in, trash out is.

Jamie

I have to admit that I've done very little caching in, trashing out.

One reason for that is that about 1/3 of my finds have been while I was riding my bicycle or motorcycle, and I don't have the ability to carry trash bags (full or empty).

A few times, I've picked up some trash on the way out, but I can only grab as much as I can carry with my hands. A couple of cans or bottles and that's it.

The rest of the time? I forget, or I'm lazy. I haven't carried trash bags with me.

So far, in my 53 finds, I've only found one cache that had trash bags in it for trashing out activities. I took a bag and managed to only find an empty beer can and a styrofoam cup. (ironically, the bag blew out of the back of my truck somewhere on the way back from the cache icon_frown.gif )

What I found amusing is that in the logbook of that cache, several people mentioned taking a plastic sack (with a Smokey the Bear logo on it) but it's not clear whether they used them for trashing out. I think a number of them simply liked the bags.

The cache in, trash out aspect of this activity should be emphasized more. Like Zuck said, there are no pictures anywhere to look at of folks trashing out.

I'm willing to bet a majority of geocachers don't even know what cache in, trash out is.

Jamie

We do try to trash-out while geocaching but like others, sometimes we forget to take bags so it's limited to one or two items. I need to just keep some trash bags in our goody bag so we have no excuse.

However, we're getting ready to place our first cache (it's taken awhile but it's finally coming together) and we've decided to take responsibility for the area in and around our cache site. Part of the delay in getting it placed was asking permission and then submitting a written request to the county park system. They have been very receptive to the idea of geocaching (the county naturalist has placed one cache already and is planning a second) so we definitely want to maintain a good relationship with the county park system. Obviously, we won't object to others helping out with clean-up but we will make it part of our regular cache maintenance. The area isn't terrible but I was surprised to see how many cans and bottles were lying around once we really started looking.

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

quote:
Originally posted by GeoStars:

... The area isn't terrible but I was surprised to see how many cans and bottles were lying around once we really started looking.

The kids constantly amaze us by finding things that we do not see at all.

Generally we fill up one of those blue plastic bags from the grocery store as our goal. A couple of places could use a lot more help than that, but that's generally not the case for us. Nancy did go back to one cache and fill up 2 big black garbage bags though.

What gets me mad is the amount of trash within 30 feet of a garbage can in the parking lot! icon_mad.gif

quote:
Originally posted by GeoStars:

... The area isn't terrible but I was surprised to see how many cans and bottles were lying around once we really started looking.

The kids constantly amaze us by finding things that we do not see at all.

Generally we fill up one of those blue plastic bags from the grocery store as our goal. A couple of places could use a lot more help than that, but that's generally not the case for us. Nancy did go back to one cache and fill up 2 big black garbage bags though.

What gets me mad is the amount of trash within 30 feet of a garbage can in the parking lot! icon_mad.gif

I beleive the folks out here in the Bay Area are doing a find job with the Cache in Trash out motto. I geocache almost every day and when i'm out in our wilderness parks I see little trash, but when I do it goes directly in my almost empty backpack I carry. I have yet to be in a cache area where there was enough trash to fill up even a small bag. Normally just a few really old beer cans or broken glass. Keep up the good work for those of you who follow the CITO motto.

Team SuperGenius

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!