Fantasy Football

Um, that is a strange draft. Let's see Oakland Def and Trung Canidate in the 1st round? Tomlinson doesn't go til #11? Granted I didn't look at the scoring rules so I'll just put it down as unconventional

Success is not measured by the position one has reached in life, rather by the obstacles overcome while trying to succeed.

- Booker T. Washington

quote:
Um, that is a strange draft. Let's see Oakland Def and Trung Canidate in the 1st round? Tomlinson doesn't go til #11? Granted I didn't look at the scoring rules so I'll just put it down as unconventional

OK, you are joking right? Or are you? If not, that is REALLY screwy and shows why I use pay to play leagues! No scoring system could explain that! But you are joking right? RIGHT?!?!?! Ack! Wondering if this is a joke or not!

pokeanim3.gif

Not a joke icon_eek.gif

Here's the first 2 rounds:

1.01 Holmes, Priest (RB-KC)

1.02 Moss, Randy (WR-Min)

1.03 Faulk, Marshall (RB-StL)

1.04 Williams, Ricky (RB-Mia)

1.05 Portis, Clinton (RB-Den)

1.06 McAllister, Deuce (RB-NO)

1.07 Oakland (DEF-Oak)

1.08 Vick, Michael (QB-Atl)

1.09 McNabb, Donovan (QB-Phi)

1.10 Canidate, Trung (RB-Was)

1.11 Tomlinson, LaDainian (RB-SD)

1.12 Brady, Tom (QB-NE)

2.01 James, Edgerrin (RB-Ind)

2.02 Culpepper, Daunte (QB-Min)

2.03 Gonzalez, Tony (TE-KC)

2.04 Taylor, Fred (RB-Jac)

2.05 Green, Ahman (RB-GB)

2.06 Harrison, Marvin (WR-Ind)

2.07 Owens, Terrell (WR-SF)

2.08 Price, Peerless (WR-Atl)

2.09 Gannon, Rich (QB-Oak)

2.10 Dillon, Corey (RB-Cin)

2.11 Alexander, Shaun (RB-Sea)

2.12 Brooks, Aaron (QB-NO)

This looks like it was an auto draft so that probably explains a lot of it.

Success is not measured by the position one has reached in life, rather by the obstacles overcome while trying to succeed.

- Booker T. Washington

quote:
not a joke....just think how well you would have done in this draft.

But I like to draft against people where they ALL have good drafts! I like competition!

Ack! a D in the first round! Insane! 3 QB first round? Does Yahoo scoring give QB major points? Canidate at 10???? That should be a late round back-up or trade bait pick. Tomlinson at 11?????? He should be in the top few! Likely 1st even, although Holmes is looking OK for now (I hope he is, I have him in 2 keeper leagues)!

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Originally posted by bigcall:

Not a joke icon_eek.gif

Here's the first 2 rounds:

1.01 Holmes, Priest (RB-KC)

1.02 Moss, Randy (WR-Min)

1.03 Faulk, Marshall (RB-StL)

1.04 Williams, Ricky (RB-Mia)

1.05 Portis, Clinton (RB-Den)

1.06 McAllister, Deuce (RB-NO)

1.07 Oakland (DEF-Oak)

1.08 Vick, Michael (QB-Atl)

1.09 McNabb, Donovan (QB-Phi)

1.10 Canidate, Trung (RB-Was)

1.11 Tomlinson, LaDainian (RB-SD)

1.12 Brady, Tom (QB-NE)

2.01 James, Edgerrin (RB-Ind)

2.02 Culpepper, Daunte (QB-Min)

2.03 Gonzalez, Tony (TE-KC)

2.04 Taylor, Fred (RB-Jac)

2.05 Green, Ahman (RB-GB)

2.06 Harrison, Marvin (WR-Ind)

2.07 Owens, Terrell (WR-SF)

2.08 Price, Peerless (WR-Atl)

2.09 Gannon, Rich (QB-Oak)

2.10 Dillon, Corey (RB-Cin)

2.11 Alexander, Shaun (RB-Sea)

2.12 Brooks, Aaron (QB-NO)

This looks like it was an auto draft so that probably explains a lot of it.

- Booker T. Washington

OMG That is the most screwed up draft I've ever seen! Trung is a decent pick.....AROUND THE 8TH ROUND! I have never seen a d selected till about the 9th.(which is still too early IMO). I can't believe LT fell to the 11th.....What the hell are these people thinking??? (Shaking my head)....

quote:
posted August 04, 2003 09:09 AM

I have started a Fantasy Football leage for us geocachers I need 12 other playes please join at yahoo.com games fantasy football

the leage id is #271292 the pasword is "gps"

Name of the leage is Geo-Cachers. It is a free yahoo leage.

Thanks, deepinwoods

Thanks deepinwoods; I'm in. Cookin wit Geofire is all set to go. I'm in a yahoo league at work so signing on to another one makes life simpler. I just won't pay2play so I passed on CarleenP's league.

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

Right up front - I'm very upset by many things in this thread!

So what I have to say will undoubtably be flamed by some of you. So be it. None of this has anything to do with geocaching so feel free to email me personally -I'll be glad to take up the issues one on one.

This is a long response but I'll try to make it as short as possible but I have lots of points to cover.

deepinwoods posted an offer for anyone interested in a yahoo fantasy football team. Most of the replies on here are not pertinent. I resent that you took his friendly offer and turned it into a "bashing" place. Thank you deepinwoods - I may actually go for a second team.

Yes, we know that "according to the experts" yahoo football can't compare to ESPN or other paid fantasy leagues. Well, duh, probably not. But many different types of people have different reasons for joining different leagues. What is right for you is not neccessarily right for us. So - leave it be. I didn't join your ESPN league the first time around and I'm not going to do it now. Personally, after all of the slams and rudeness, I would not WANT to be on a league with the "experts". I want to enjoy the fun of a fantasy team without being ridiculed by "those that know better". Hey - maybe

I don't know what I'm doing! Maybe I just want to explore and try this out! And I don't want or need your "expertise" telling me what I'm doing wrong - I'll find out by myself!

If I want to be humiliated - I'll post a log on the forums here, and let you all tell me what an idiot I am!

Now - onto football:

Speaking only for one of the teams in that league let me tell you a

little bit of what I'm thinking:

#1 bigcall:

You are not a team on this league -

I find it highly objectionable that you are "stalking" or "lurking" on this league and are pulling information from it to post

on the forum and to make fun of. I think your integrity and morality on doing this leaves a whole lot to be desired. I hope you geocache

with higher standards than you play the "game" of fantasy football.

Personally - I feel like my privacy has been violated. This is my team - my league and you are spying, taking information that you should not be privileged to have and generally being a jacka**s. I've contacted our "commissioner" and hope that steps will be taken to bar your entry into our league.

#2 Any opinions that any person has as to the worth of a "fantasy" football player is only that - THEIR opinion! You may not like my player - I may not like yours. Don't second guess me - it's MY choice.

Unless you're getting paid to draft players in the NFL, my opinion is just as good as yours - if you are getting paid to do this - let me know, then maybe I'll listen to you!

quote:
by Spzzmoose

.....What the hell are these people thinking??? (Shaking my head)....

#3 Directly to Spzzmoose -

I hope you shake your head until it falls off your shoulders! And then go to Dallas - I'm sure they'll be glad for all of your suggestions.

"Geocaching expands your horizons - not your butt!"

Cachecrazies, I think you are right to a certain extent and I apologize if I offended you. I also think it is great that there have been some free leagues set up so those that don't want to pay to play are able to do so.

One thing I want to point out is that the culture of Fantasy Football is often full of "trash" talk. Basically players love to pick on other teams and drafts. This is particularly true among those who have played for some time. Generally, it is nothing personal. Anyway, I agree that we got out of hand on it here since this is not a fantasy football forum involving long time fantasy players (it would be appropriate on say the ESPN forum though, where this thread would be tame in comparison to others). I for one certainly didn't want to personally offend anyone. I guess I was just in my football thinking mode instead of geocaching mode. I sincerely apologize.

pokeanim3.gif

[This message was edited by carleenp on August 06, 2003 at 07:53 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by cachecrazies:

_Right up front - I'm very upset by many things in this thread_!

ROTFLMAO!!! cachecrazies, you wouldn't last 10 secs in most of the fantasy sport leagues. The talk in this thread is MILD compared to the trash that is usually thrown around. I for one love the the trash talk'n. Grows some balls and wipe the tears out of your eyes you pathetic piece of crap. (Sorry, just getting warmed-up for all the other LOSERS in my football league). Prepared to get beat like a rented mule.

My comments were pure trash talking in response to someone else bragging about their team on this thread earlier. It got me curious so I looked it up - not that hard to do since the league ID was posted previously.

Perhaps this was a bit much for your tastes, but that's the way the FFL game is usually (and preferrably) played. I would expect the same if I was bragging about my team (which of course I will do icon_wink.gif )

Can't really say I'm sorry about it though since I was very careful not to bring in anyone's name or their specific picks. As far as I'm concerned this was just an observation of a public draft. Not a lot of integrity or morality issues involved here so, to steal a line from Stripes, "lighten up Francis"

- Booker T. Washington

quote:
One thing I want to point out is that the culture of Fantasy Football is often full of "trash" talk. Basically players love to pick on other teams and drafts. This is particularly true among those who have played for some time. Generally, it is nothing personal.

First of all - thank you for your acceptance and awareness. I took nothing personal.

One of the fun things we were looking forward to was the ability to joke with, trash talk, pick on and razz our other teams in the league. That ability is diminished if you think that it might be copied and "posted" to the general geocaching community. What I might say in our football league may be a totally different thing than I would want posted on the forums.

I feel that geocaching is geocaching - and fantasy football is a totally separate thing and objected strongly to bigcall's invasion of privacy on the football part. And of course, to Spzzmoose's ridicule.

quote:
Can't really say I'm sorry about it though since I was very careful not to bring in anyone's name or their specific picks. As far as I'm concerned this was just an observation of a public draft. Not a lot of integrity or morality issues involved here

Well -Integrity and morality starts by not publicly posting supposedly private information.

Trash talk your own teams - not ours!

You're not in our league - your comments are NOT welcome. As far as I'm concerned - you have no right to even look at our draft choices. Even if you have the PUBLIC right to know - you have to give us 3 days notice and pay for certified copies! We'll do our own slamming in our own time - and we prefer to do it within ourselves. You have your league - we have ours. Do we have to get a pit bull to keep you out?

So what are you still doing checking out the "cheap" Yahoo leagues? Go trade some more players on your own team. You're waived in this league.

Last I checked, this was a GEOCACHING forum - not FFL forum. Bashing of another (completely separate) event is completely uncalled for. If you choose to trash talk, do it among your own league where it is expected - not on the GC forums.

Spzzmoose:

quote:
OMG That is the most screwed up draft I've ever seen!

I personally joined the "free" FFL in order to learn how to do something that just might be fun - similar to the reasons I tried caching. You can try to sound as high and mighty as you would like, but there was a day that you were green & I'd be willing to bet you didn't jump right into the "big leagues," nor would you have appreciated being laughed at by strangers. I'm the first to admit that I don't know a dadgum thing about a FFL - why the hell do you think I joined a free one??? But guess what - I'm in it to have fun, and you have NO RIGHT to try to take that from me.

CLEARPATH:

quote:
ROTFLMAO!!! cachecrazies, you wouldn't last 10 secs in most of the fantasy sport leagues. The talk in this thread is MILD compared to the trash that is usually thrown around.
& bigcall:
quote:
Perhaps this was a bit much for your tastes, but that's the way the FFL game is usually (and preferrably) played.
I repeat - this thread is NOT a FFL thread - take it to where it belongs.

bigcall:

quote:
As far as I'm concerned this was just an observation of a public draft.
This is not a "public" league, nor was it a public draft. Just becuase someone was thoughtful (and trusing enough in fellow cachers) to openly invite everyone to join the league, it does not give you free access to come observe us purely to have some entertainment at our expense.

You can say what you will, but it shows a great deal of immaturity to continue attacking people personally ("you pathetic piece of crap") where it does not belong. I am looking forward to the "trash talk" that comes with the game - that is part of the enticement, getting crazy & letting loose - but I look forward to doing it in an environment where I am comfortable & among friends, not on a thread that really has nothing to do with football, and especially not in an environment where I have to wonder who is watching me, waiting for me to do something stupid so they can humiliate me behind my back. This seems similar to the crap on the playground at my kids' school, certainly not something I'd expect from the caching community - a place that I had come to feel comfortable in at one time.

I guess one big question comes to mind: If your league is so interesting & you are so good at what you do, why are you wasting your time watching us? It calls to mind a bully who can't hold his own with someone his own size so decides to pick on the little kid....

A bend in the road

is not the end of the road...

Unless you fail to make the turn.

OK everyone. Easy.... As the Commisioner of the league at the center of this controversy, I feel partly responsible for this argument. Let's clear a few things up:

1. I started the league because I've been playing Fantasy sports since 1994 and love playing.

2. The league is composed of my relatives, buddies, and some cachers who joined at my invitation in the thread that Carleenp linked to above.

3. It is in fact a public league. Anyone who wants to can watch, comment on, dismiss, or insult the league. It goes with the territory. No one is lurking.

4. That is not to say that I approve of the comments made by others about the draft savvy of my father (Trung Candidate), but I realize that IT IS JUST A GAME AND IS NOT MEANT TO BE PERSONAL.

5. I appreciate those league members who voiced their concerns here and stood up for the league. We do have people who have never done this before and obviously, not everyone has the same strategy when they head into the draft.

6. The opinions posted by others who are not in the league, are not meant to be mean spirited. Simply trash talk. Maybe tinged with jealousy that they didn't sign up for this league where their superior intellect would have helped them rout us. (a little trash talking on my part)

7. I'm super excited about the season to begin not only our league but the NFL. The whole idea of fantasy sports is simply to let people enjoy the league as a whole and root for players that maybe are not on your favorite team. Heck, I got McNabb and I can't stand the Eagles.

8. Good luck to everyone...no mater what league you play in. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by WackyCachers:

I guess one big question comes to mind: If your league is so interesting & you are so good at what you do, why are you wasting your time watching us?

Oh, thats an easy one ... we don't draft until Aug. 26th so we are all practicing our trash talking on you bunch of wussies. (except for Stormshadow, at least he gets it). Seriously, have fun and don't forget to talk trash. icon_biggrin.gif

Hey - I don't have any trouble trash talking OR being on the receiving end of it BUT I don't want anything I've posted on our league page to be copied to the gc.com forums without my knowledge. If I want to post something here - I will! If I intend it to be solely for our league members, then I expect that to be appreciated. Two different areas - that was the whole point I objected to and wanted to point out. No one likes the possibilty of a few of their words taken out of context and made public. Everyone can be made to look like an idiot at some time or other. My times may come more often than others!Honor my "league" privacy - that's all I'm asking!

But fair's fair. Are you wimps on the paid leagues gonna post your draft picks and STANDINGS here for all of us to see and make fun of your stupid choices? icon_eek.gif or are you gonna keep it private 'cause you might be embarassed? Give me your password - I promise not to make you look idiotic in public icon_biggrin.gif

And by the way - give me some good tips on Defensive players - the ones I have suck!!

Boy..did you take that the wrong way! To be successful in ff takes hours of studying and analizing teams, players, stats ect... Those of use who do their homework know that trung hasent even won the starting job yet! (leading, but not won). Savy owners also know that you pick you d after you get your starters. This is defidentaly the norm! To see such an unusual draft is defidentally weird! Thats all I was commenting on and I didn't know the league had a bunch of rookie owners. In no way did I mean to insult anyone! Just a little trash talk. If you took offence to that you'd be torn up in my leagues. Tell the rooks to do a google search on ff. There are a billion sites that might help them out! icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by Spzzmoose on August 07, 2003 at 06:00 PM.]

quote:
Spzzmoose:

I repeat - this thread is NOT a FFL thread - take it to where it belongs.

Ummm...check the name of this thread!

Ummm...checked it out 3 times now - still looks like it says "Fantasy Football" to me. What's it say on your screen? And by the way, that was my main object - leave my ff in my ff league - keep it out of the gc.com forums. Take it to where it belongsI repeat - this thread is NOT a FFL thread - take it to where it belongs.

Now I want to know - are you RK in troll form? 'Cause your definately inflaming me!

If not - you must be my husband - and I want a divorce!

Just to clear something up. Fantasy Football does = FFL to most. Although I suppose it could also be equated to ESPN's Fantasy Football Live and the acronymn maybe came from there.

Anyway, this is a fantasy football/FFL thread, but I agree it is not a fantasy football forum. I don't care if people want to trash talk here, that is each person's own business and I won't pass judgment. I decided to stop trash talk here since I figure my football mode of thinking is much different from my geocaching mode.

Regardless, let all have fun in our leagues. Looks like there will be some good trash talk in ours'!

I for one am seriously ready for some football!

pokeanim3.gif

Thanks for clearing that up for cachecrazies, carleenp! icon_smile.gif I know she thought I was flaming her but that was not the case. I explained why I made my comments and the logic behind them. I even offered some sound advice...to look up some ff sites; a lot of them are free and can really help out a rookie. It WAS a strange first two rounds! Draft was kind of early too. I hope no one gets hurt in the preseason like what happened to Jamal a few years ago. Someone in my big money league actually drafted him in the fourth! Talk about flame on!! icon_biggrin.gif The problem with such an uniformed draft is that a few teams will really, really suck and the owners will lose interest pretty quickly, making the league less enjoyable for the rest of the owners. No hard feelings cachecrazies and hit that waiver wire HARD if your team isn't doing well. I've seen many a season saved by doing just that! icon_smile.gif Good luck to you also! E-mail me if I can help. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Someone in my big money league actually drafted him in the fourth! Talk about flame on!!

That happened in my local money league too where we all draft in person (but I think it was an earlier round)! And it was after he went out! Talk about a room full of flames and in person! We almost felt so sorry for the poor guy that we thought about letting him re-pick... But of course, we didnt!

Now, no one take this for trash talk, because it wasn't this year! I just wanted to share!

pokeanim3.gif