Someone Stoled My Ammo Box!

I stopped at one of my Caches today after the last 2 visitors said it required maintaince.

Someone actually stoled the Ammo Box! The Ammo box was actually inside another container for camo. They left the Cache and all its contents inside ziplock bags, stuffed it into its camo, and took it! This ever happen to anyone else?

I am glad that I was alone and did not bring one of my friends that is interested in learning about the "Sport". That sure would have made an impression, huh? Oh well, live and learn I guess!

If the person that took it happens to read this, am I mad at you? No, because I am a really nice guy. (I am slapping you on the wrist though, but you just can't see.) I am actually embarrassed for you! If you really need a 4$ Ammo box that bad, let me know and I will buy you one if you give mine back so I dont have to re-paint another.

I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else!! It's just kinda annoying, you know? (Rant Off!)

Laugh now, but I've got plenty to do when I'm the last person on the planet

quote:
Originally posted by Team WO9LF:

I stopped at one of my Caches today after the last 2 visitors said it required maintaince.

Someone actually stoled the Ammo Box! The Ammo box was actually inside another container for camo. They left the Cache and all its contents inside ziplock bags, stuffed it into its camo, and took it! This ever happen to anyone else?

I am glad that I was alone and did not bring one of my friends that is interested in learning about the "Sport". That sure would have made an impression, huh? Oh well, live and learn I guess!

If the person that took it happens to read this, am I mad at you? No, because I am a really nice guy. (I am slapping you on the wrist though, but you just can't see.) I am actually embarrassed for you! If you really need a 4$ Ammo box that bad, let me know and I will buy you one if you give mine back so I dont have to re-paint another.

I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else!! It's just kinda annoying, you know? (Rant Off!)

I've not seen that. Maybe they considered the ammo box to be a 'trinket'? Did they trade up? icon_wink.gif Did they sign the log book? (took cache box, left McToy, signed log book)

Hang in there, I don't think this kind of behavior is common (I hope).

Keep on caching,

Bluespreacher

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer

quote:
Originally posted by Team WO9LF:

I've not seen that. Maybe they considered the ammo box to be a 'trinket'? Did they trade up? icon_wink.gif Did they sign the log book? (took cache box, left McToy, signed log book)

Hang in there, I don't think this kind of behavior is common (I hope).

Keep on caching,

Bluespreacher

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer

Do you suppose if you painted the cache up with hearts and smiley faces that someone would be less likely to purloin it? Maybe some glitter.

I know it defeats the camo purpose... but at least it might stay there. No guy (and I expect it's probably males who do a majority of plundering and swiping) would want to run around with a girly looking box.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

Do you suppose if you painted the cache up with hearts and smiley faces that someone would be less likely to purloin it? Maybe some glitter. ...

Jamie

Hey that might work. Maybe write some directions on the outside, also. You know guys never take directions. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

Do you suppose if you painted the cache up with hearts and smiley faces that someone would be less likely to purloin it? Maybe some glitter. ...

Jamie

Hey that might work. Maybe write some directions on the outside, also. You know guys never take directions. icon_wink.gif

Caches are stolen all the time. In your case, the theif obviously wanted the ammo box, since they left everything else behind.

I've yet to have a cache stolen (knock on wood) and I've I've been using ammo boxes for most of my caches for a while now. To reduce the possiblilty of my caches being targeted by someone who specifically wants to bag an ammo box, I stopped describing the cache container on my cache pages.

At $3.99 each, I don't understand why would anybody bother stealing the things, but they sometimes do.

Hey, if you're reading this and thinking of stealing someone's ammo box, just send me an e-mail and I've give you one. I know my wife would be very happy if all the basement shelves dedicated to storing empty ammo boxes are freed up

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on July 26, 2002 at 03:35 AM.]

Lots of good comments!

**Maybe they considered the ammo box to be a 'trinket'? Did they trade up? Did they sign the log book? (took cache box, left McToy, signed log book)**

That thought actually ran through my head..That would be funny, wouldn't it?

**Do you suppose if you painted the cache up with hearts and smiley faces that someone would be less likely to purloin it? Maybe some glitter.**

I was actually thinking of a bright Pink. This Cache is located in a place in which you have to walk along a street and through a parking lot for about 75 yards to get to the trail. I am sure it would take a very secure man to try that!

Directions icon_smile.gif hehe

The paint job was nothing great.... just the name of the Cache, Team WO9LF, and Geocaching.Com stenciled on all sides. It's just the principle I guess.

I check my other Cache this afternoon, and all was good, so I am hoping that this is a one time thing, and I just happened to be the lucky guy!

Lots of good comments!

**Maybe they considered the ammo box to be a 'trinket'? Did they trade up? Did they sign the log book? (took cache box, left McToy, signed log book)**

That thought actually ran through my head..That would be funny, wouldn't it?

**Do you suppose if you painted the cache up with hearts and smiley faces that someone would be less likely to purloin it? Maybe some glitter.**

I was actually thinking of a bright Pink. This Cache is located in a place in which you have to walk along a street and through a parking lot for about 75 yards to get to the trail. I am sure it would take a very secure man to try that!

Directions icon_smile.gif hehe

The paint job was nothing great.... just the name of the Cache, Team WO9LF, and Geocaching.Com stenciled on all sides. It's just the principle I guess.

I check my other Cache this afternoon, and all was good, so I am hoping that this is a one time thing, and I just happened to be the lucky guy!

I am new to this hobby but from all I have read it sounds like it is one that is full of honorable and decent people. It is unfortunate that a few out there might be a little less respectful than most.

Maybe the answer is to stamp some sort of brand or other identifyer into the bottom of the box or engrave a serial number into the inside or something. Something that would not be easy to fully remove. It could be that some out there might be too lazy to make their own cache boxes. So they steal other peoples and maybe paint over the markings. I have thought of building capsules out of PVC materials and painting them up nicely etc. Something custom. However your topic here is one of my concerns. Maybe it would be a good idea to engrave a good identifying serial number so that if a box or capsule is stolen an alert can be posted and the thief can be identified if he reuses the box for another cache. While the point is true that most of these things are not expensive, or even that difficult to fabricate or obtain, it would be nice to be able to identify those who violate the honor and respect that most people in this hobby seem to examplify.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Caches are stolen all the time. In your case, the theif obviously wanted the ammo box, since they left everything else behind.

I've yet to have a cache stolen (knock on wood) and I've I've been using ammo boxes for most of my caches for a while now. To reduce the possiblilty of my caches being targeted by someone who specifically wants to bag an ammo box, I stopped describing the cache container my pages.

At $3.99 each, I don't understand why would anybody bother stealing the things, but they sometimes do.

Hey, if you're reading this and thinking of stealing someone's ammo box, just send me an e-mail and I've give you one. I know my wife would be very happy if all the basement shelves dedicated to storing empty ammo boxes are freed up.

quote:
Originally posted by st_richardson:

'Scuse me while I go clean my monitor. I should know better than to read these threads and drink coffee at the same time.

evilrooster

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-

quote:
Originally posted by st_richardson:

'Scuse me while I go clean my monitor. I should know better than to read these threads and drink coffee at the same time.

evilrooster

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-

Originally posted by wmas1960:

Maybe the answer is to stamp some sort of brand or other identifyer into the bottom of the box or engrave a serial number into the inside or something. Something that would not be easy to fully remove/QUOTE]

I am kinda thinking about doing that to the new one I place out there, as well as the 2 in use on my other Cache. I think I will stamp them in a not-so-obvious spot with the last 4# of my drivers license or something. I figure that if it should happen again, and then I or someone else finds that box at a later time, at least we would find out who is responsible. Of course, it wont work too well unless the Cache is placed in my local area where I may happen to find it.

I am not really hell-bent on finding the offender since I have better things to worry about then a 4$ ammo box, but I figure that if this starts to become a regular occurance, at least it might give us a chance to find out who is responsible. It's kinda sad that we should even have to consider such things as ID'ing an ammo box as "Ours". icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by wmas1960:

Maybe the answer is to stamp some sort of brand or other identifyer into the bottom of the box or engrave a serial number into the inside or something. Something that would not be easy to fully remove/QUOTE]

I am kinda thinking about doing that to the new one I place out there, as well as the 2 in use on my other Cache. I think I will stamp them in a not-so-obvious spot with the last 4# of my drivers license or something. I figure that if it should happen again, and then I or someone else finds that box at a later time, at least we would find out who is responsible. Of course, it wont work too well unless the Cache is placed in my local area where I may happen to find it.

I am not really hell-bent on finding the offender since I have better things to worry about then a 4$ ammo box, but I figure that if this starts to become a regular occurance, at least it might give us a chance to find out who is responsible. It's kinda sad that we should even have to consider such things as ID'ing an ammo box as "Ours". icon_frown.gif

My wife's first cache was hidden under a trail (in a swampy area). The container was a pink backpack with a Kerropi frog on the back in bright green. I went out to find it (after she hid it) and because it was leaking I had to bring it back out of the park. Talk about the strange stares on my way back to the car. icon_razz.gif

Whatever you do, don't lock the ammo box or bolt it or chain it to anything. From previous caches, non-cache finders will bash the lock, cut the chain, or otherwise cause havok trying to get to the contents. I suppose they perceive there is something of value inside.

All I can say is if its way out in the woods, I prefer the ammo box. If it is in a local park, use a plastic container. Many folks here wrap their caches in black trash bags. I can't condone it but I have noticed that people tend to ignore "trash," (which is a sad social situation) ad it is effective as a way to curb cache theft or accidental discovery.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

My wife's first cache was hidden under a trail (in a swampy area). The container was a pink backpack with a Kerropi frog on the back in bright green. I went out to find it (after she hid it) and because it was leaking I had to bring it back out of the park. Talk about the strange stares on my way back to the car. icon_razz.gif

Whatever you do, don't lock the ammo box or bolt it or chain it to anything. From previous caches, non-cache finders will bash the lock, cut the chain, or otherwise cause havok trying to get to the contents. I suppose they perceive there is something of value inside.

All I can say is if its way out in the woods, I prefer the ammo box. If it is in a local park, use a plastic container. Many folks here wrap their caches in black trash bags. I can't condone it but I have noticed that people tend to ignore "trash," (which is a sad social situation) ad it is effective as a way to curb cache theft or accidental discovery.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

At least they left your logbook.

When I had a cache stolen (the only one I had in an ammo can, as it turns out), I was more upset about losing the logbook and cache camera than the box itself.

Just the idea that people are willing to steal is bad enough, but to know that they likely tossed stuff into the trash, while ruining everyone's fun is even sadder. icon_confused.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

At least they left your logbook.

When I had a cache stolen (the only one I had in an ammo can, as it turns out), I was more upset about losing the logbook and cache camera than the box itself.

Just the idea that people are willing to steal is bad enough, but to know that they likely tossed stuff into the trash, while ruining everyone's fun is even sadder. icon_confused.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

i placed a cache near a waterfall in an ammo box. i had a reply that the stuff was gone so i went to check it out. when i got there all that was left was a ziplock with the logbook and pen and a couple small trinkets. one of the last logs in the book was: "TOOK YOUR STUFF, THANKS!" that kind of chapped my hide.