What do you do for a living?

Guest Peter Scholtz

although i see a wide variety

the two types that i see most are computer related fields

and people that work in environmental/geological/forestry type fields

2 opposites really

the already outdoors type person and the people who are cooped up dying to get out

i think its good to see such diversity

myself i used to be an industrial painter/sandblaster (watertowers)

after a bad fall some years back i really have had a tough time with a new career

i really liked what i did and dont seem to be able to find the same happiness in other work

so currently i make radiators for mercedes and bmw less than rewarding but its a job

I am an Army Trained Mechanic. I repair anything mechanical. From auto to industrial. Also Repair Power Generation Equipment.

AVID Long Distance Backpacker. As my nick implies. Just finished 500+ miles of the Appalachian Trail This summer. Had to stop before I was done due to injuring my knees. Bhines You prolly see plenty of us in the ER there in Franklin. Might have seen me.

Will hopefully be startin College this spring at Penn State to get my Computer Science Degree and then on to bigger and better things.

------------------

athiker

Guest Ramness570

Gee I feel so low tech!

I'm a police dispatcher for a small city police department.

------------------

Brian & TabascoX

Senior Memeber Southeast Xterra Club

Geocaching since October 2000.

Captain grubber is a rn on a neuro-critical unit in a major hospital in our state. Sargent grubber(me),is a nursing supervisor for a behavioal health unit(psych unit)in a smaller hosoital in our state. Private First Class is a student in an area school.

Wow, this is sooo interesting!

I am a speech/language pathologist with the school system. I am currently on sabbatical (first in 23 yrs!) and working on a MED in Educational Technology. Love these computers! My husband is a supervisor with a large soft drink company. We are brand new at this... actually I'm the one who discovered it, and he is beginning to see the light!

------------------

Guest Reservoir Dog

Retired military (30+ years) between jobs. Just completed a seasonal stint with The Bureal of Land Management inventorying reservoirs in Wilderness Study Areas on Public Lands...best four months of my life! That's where I really got hooked on GPS'.

It's great to be part of an interest group that is so diversified and dedicated.

Hey...I love you guys!!! icon_smile.gif

------------------

Terry (Reservoir Dog)

Guest Reservoir Dog

Retired military (30+ years) between jobs. Just completed a seasonal stint with The Bureal of Land Management inventorying reservoirs in Wilderness Study Areas on Public Lands...best four months of my life! That's where I really got hooked on GPS'.

It's great to be part of an interest group that is so diversified and dedicated.

Hey...I love you guys!!! icon_smile.gif

------------------

Terry (Reservoir Dog)

quote:
Originally posted by Peter Scholtz:

Not sure if this topic has been covered before, but I'm curious as to what work everyone does?

Director of Technology for Arel Learning Solutions, a provider of media-rich enterprise communications systems. And Geocacher wannabe!

Guest itsmagic

A surveyor/engineer who has been positioning with GPS since 1984 in the oil and gas industry.

It's great to be able to use it for fun.

[This message has been edited by itsmagic (edited 30 September 2001).]

Well, the T of the team is Tom, and he's a copier/office machine repair person.

M - Michelle, which is me - I'm a network consultant. I setup and maintain NT networks, Cisco routers, and Cisco IP telephone systems.

A - Alyna, she's 6, and has no other job than to play, eat and enjoy school. icon_smile.gif

Well, the T of the team is Tom, and he's a copier/office machine repair person.

M - Michelle, which is me - I'm a network consultant. I setup and maintain NT networks, Cisco routers, and Cisco IP telephone systems.

A - Alyna, she's 6, and has no other job than to play, eat and enjoy school. icon_smile.gif

Guest rediguana

Have done web development and small business IT consulting over the past few years but got bored of it. Finished a BSc (Management Science) a few months back to add to a BCom (Information Systems), and am also doing a GradDip in Emergency Services Management. Looking at moving into Risk Mgt/Emergency Mgt/ Civil Defence etc. Have a love hate relationship with technology, partly why I have moved away from general IT, but will still use my knowledge in the fields of risk/emergency mgt. Still a geek at heart, play with Linux, etc. Like outdoors, mainly golf and hiking. Cheers Gav

Guest TresOkies

Software Geek. Mac/Windows/Palm/WinCE.

Recently moved from Austin, TX to the wilds of western Oklahoma. Currently employed by Palm Inc.

-E

------------------

--

35°32.981 98°34.631

Guest rockdog200

Dir of Plant Operations in a small Hospital.

Hiker

R/C Racer

Caver

and many other things

------------------

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficently talented fool.

Guest Team Rotty

am a huge sissy

My owners:

The smaller one is a Human Clinical Trials coordinator for a very large pharmaceutical company. ? air race pilot

The bigger one is 18+ years in the Coast Guard in NYC (been busy lately), and a professional search planner. - air race pilot.

Guest Team Rotty

I am a 3 year old Rottweiler. Everyone thinks we are tough dogs! But I am a huge sissy

My owners:

The smaller one is a Human Clinical Trials coordinator for a very large pharmaceutical company. ? air race pilot

The bigger one is 18+ years in the Coast Guard in NYC (been busy lately), and a professional search planner. - air race pilot.

Guest dave351

I am a Model maker for a HMD (head mounted display) company. At work we are a completely paperless shop. No drawings just models in cad.

My wife Cat61 is a manufacturing engineer for Data Linc (industrial hardwire and wireless modems)

We like to say at the shop "If you can think it up...We can build it?.

After hours and at home I get to make things for play. We have even made some stuff for geocachers. http://dave351w.tripod.com/daveslife/id17.html

Guest genegarris

I am a chiropractor... and former government IS director.

Notice how most of the geocachers that have posted their occupations and careers are problem solvers?

I think that the geocaching is particularly attractive to people that solve problems and get things done.

Guest schedule1

quote:
Originally posted by sivad:

I work for the Mississippi State Parks..the one I waor for is Wall Doxey I am the maintenance Supervisor there.

"For all the wander are not lost...for we have GPS in hand...

ICQ# 112703193

Yahoo IM....sivad_40

just got the gps a few days ago. was turned on to this by an account of mine. i live in holly springs and look forward to finding your cache soon. i would have been earlier but have been busy placing other caches in ms. check em out!!!---schedule1
Guest RedwoodRed

Another female wearer of many hats:

First: Mother of two young sons (ages 8 going on 32 and 4.5 going on... well, getting on my nerves) which is a full-time job...

Then: Small business entreprenuer/Web Developer (better designer than programmer!) which is becoming full-time...

And: Full-time (30 hours class time per week) student majoring in CIS and Multimedia Design.

Also: Assistant instructor at College of the Redwoods Del Norte in both CIS and Multimedia departments, part-time...

I actually make money at the second and fourth jobs... and they now pay for my hobbies, of which geocaching is only the newest.

------------------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

http://www.queenofheartscastle.com/home.htm

http://www.beautywithattitude.com

http://www.w6hy.org

Guest boatbubblles

i am a dairy consultant... i take milk samples from each cow on the 19 dairys i test ( 3500 cows in all that are tested each month in my area ) and send them to a lab to be check for fat and protien and germ count. then i have a lap top computer that i take to each dairy and track each cows progress, how much milk they give, when they go dry, when they calve, if they have a female calf track her geneology. i am an independant contractor.

i have really enjoyed this thread...

if i remember correctly i am the only one in the farming and dairy-beef industry

save a cow... drink milk

[This message has been edited by boatbubblles (edited 09 December 2001).]

Guest boatbubblles

k for fat and protien and germ count. then i have a lap top computer that i take to each dairy and track each cows progress, how much milk they give, when they go dry, when they calve, if they have a female calf track her geneology. i am an independant contractor.

i have really enjoyed this thread...

if i remember correctly i am the only one in the farming and dairy-beef industry

save a cow... drink milk

[This message has been edited by boatbubblles (edited 09 December 2001).]

For the last three years I have been a 9-1-1 Emergency dispatcher for the county I live in.

For the three years before that I was an Air Traffic Controller in the Military (Unfortunatly the civilian sector was not ready to hire when I got out)

In a month (Should be less) I will transfer from communicaitons to the streets as a deputy sheriff

Taz

Full time dad and husband. Part time CPA and investor. Part time community volunteer with the elderly and pilot for Angel Flight.

Sarina is a FULL TIME bundle of four year old engery!!!!

Guest mikechim

I'm 25, have no job, and am currently living with my parents ( yes ladies you know you all want me icon_smile.gif) I'll be all about it when I hit your state....

------------------

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."

[This message has been edited by mikechim (edited 25 November 2001).]

Guest mikechim

I'm 25, have no job, and am currently living with my parents ( yes ladies you know you all want me icon_smile.gif) I'll be all about it when I hit your state....

------------------

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."

[This message has been edited by mikechim (edited 25 November 2001).]

Guest Morseman

Hi, a new geocacher here. Only one, easy, cache found so far.

For a living, I work in the energy industry with a company called Powergen (we own a couple of USA Utilities, but are about to be bought by a German Utility) as a Technical Consultant.

Basically, I was an Electrical Engineer, then I persuaded people to change from gas or oil to electricity, then I helped Powergen (when it was first started 11 years ago) to gain and retain Industrial and Commercial customers) and now I sort out the mess when things go wrong. icon_wink.gif

My other interest is Amateur Radio, though I've taken the antennas down, and dismantled the shack, though I was heavily into APRS which is related to geocaching by the use of GPS receivers and programs to plot stations on maps.

de Dave (G0DJA)

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

[This message has been edited by Morseman (edited 25 November 2001).]

Guest Morseman

Hi, a new geocacher here. Only one, easy, cache found so far.

For a living, I work in the energy industry with a company called Powergen (we own a couple of USA Utilities, but are about to be bought by a German Utility) as a Technical Consultant.

Basically, I was an Electrical Engineer, then I persuaded people to change from gas or oil to electricity, then I helped Powergen (when it was first started 11 years ago) to gain and retain Industrial and Commercial customers) and now I sort out the mess when things go wrong. icon_wink.gif

My other interest is Amateur Radio, though I've taken the antennas down, and dismantled the shack, though I was heavily into APRS which is related to geocaching by the use of GPS receivers and programs to plot stations on maps.

de Dave (G0DJA)

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

[This message has been edited by Morseman (edited 25 November 2001).]

Manager of Critical Care and Pulmonary Services. One of the rare females icon_smile.gif Bought my husband a Garmin GPS II Plus for Christmas last year, thought it was "extravagant"...now I use it more than him!

Manager of Critical Care and Pulmonary Services. One of the rare females icon_smile.gif Bought my husband a Garmin GPS II Plus for Christmas last year, thought it was "extravagant"...now I use it more than him!