Menu options

Guest Craig

It would be nice to know if you can get to a cache in a wheelchair. I have twin boys with dwarfism, and they are in wheelchairs. They would enjoy going geocaching with me. Thire are only a few cache around us. So we end up having to drive 100 miles or more to geocache.

Craig

Guest PneumaticDeath

Well. in threory a terrain 1 cache is supposed to be handicapped accessible, but I've almost never seen it used that way.

I think it's unlikely that you're going to find many. I think it would be best if you created some. I don't know much about dwarfism, so I don't know how much mobility they have, but here are a couple of ideas that might work:

If the boys can use GPSR and move themselves around, then maybe you can hide one, note the location, and then later (next day) take the boys to the general area and let them use the GPSR to find it. Make good use of clues and puzzles.

If it's not possible for them to hunt it on their own, enlist the help of other local geocachers to help out. Have them hide something appropriate, and send you the co-ordinates.

I suspect that caches that are wheelchair accessible will be more likely to be looted, because that accessiblilty also probably means visibility (if you can find a way around this, that would be cool.) So I doubt that these caches would be around in the long term, but might last 2-3 days.

Hope you find something that works. This sounds like a great activity for them.

-- Mitch

Guest Markwell

Oddly enough, we have three in my immediate vicinity that are handicapped accessible, one setup by me and two by separate cachers in the area. It can be done, but there needs to be a little creativity on the hiding spot.

I would also suggest looking specifically for caches that are "urban" caches - in major city areas. While not foolproof on the terrain it has better luck than one in a Forest Preserve. Also, I would guess that most micro-caches would be in areas where discretion is needed. Possibly because it is trafficked by a lot of people.

While those two suggestions will not guarantee accessibility - I think they'd have a better shot.

Jeremy - any chance on limiting search to specific ranges of terrain or difficulty combinations?