Cachers into shooting sports

I chose other.

You lacked an obvious choise -

A lot of geocachers are into the outdoors.

A lot of outdoorsmen (and women) are into shooting sports.

There's a major connection.

I hope this doesn't turn into a flame filled anti/pro thread. icon_frown.gif

southdeltan

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

quote:
Originally posted by southdeltan:

I hope this doesn't turn into a flame filled anti/pro thread. icon_frown.gif

I give it one page before someone goes crying to a Mod that we're talking about Something Forbidden.

icon_rolleyes.gif

--------------------

You have the right to defend yourself, even when geocaching!

I'm about to take a pistol class via the community education program put on by the local U. I've always liked shooting. The reasons I shoot are not recognized by the BATF though. This is because I don't hunt and I don't shoot competetivly. I'm a plinker through and through. Turns out the best plinking guns are the ones banned.

Must be "Other"

Tools. Tools. Tools.

GPS and firearms are tools. Both need to be used outdoors and without using common sense, both are dangerous. I am getting the sense that geocachers are common sense people who enjoy Mother Earth and all that she has to offer. I also gather that cachers respect other people's wishes and desires and therefore, respect other opinions, even if they are different from their own.

See the happy moron

He doesn't give a da**

I wish I were a moron

My God, perhaps I am

Author Unkown

quote:
Originally posted by Cooter13:

Tools. Tools. Tools.

I am getting the sense that geocachers are common sense people who enjoy Mother Earth and all that she has to offer. I also gather that cachers respect other people's wishes and desires and therefore, respect other opinions, even if they are different from their own.

See the happy moron

He doesn't give a da**

I wish I were a moron

My God, perhaps I am

Author Unkown

That is the best I have heard in a while.

Cooter has definately hit the nail on the head.

We may tend to differ a LOT here on the forums, but all in all-- this statement rings SO TRUE.

48511_5100.JPG

Green acres is the place to be.....

quote:

I am getting the sense that geocachers are common sense people who enjoy Mother Earth and all that she has to offer.

Yyyyyup.

quote:
I also gather that cachers respect other people's wishes and desires and therefore, respect other opinions, even if they are different from their own.

Nnnnnnnnnope. In this respect, they're typical people. Just wait until this thread locks down because "guns have nothing to do with geocaching."

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by mckee:

quote:

I am getting the sense that geocachers are common sense people who enjoy Mother Earth and all that she has to offer.

Yyyyyup.

quote:
I also gather that cachers respect other people's wishes and desires and therefore, respect other opinions, even if they are different from their own.

Nnnnnnnnnope. In this respect, they're typical people. Just wait until this thread locks down because "guns have nothing to do with geocaching."

--------------------

Hey, mckee, that was what I was trying to say. You had to go one step further, didn't you! icon_smile.gif Well, I will take the backseat then.

48511_5100.JPG

Green acres is the place to be.....

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

I've always liked shooting. The reasons I shoot are not recognized by the BATF though. This is because I don't hunt and I don't shoot competetivly. I'm a plinker through and through. Turns out the best plinking guns are the ones banned.

Ditto on all points. I'd also add that besides plinking, I own guns for self/home defense. Nothing beats a pump shotgun for home defense, for this reason: you can cycle the action in another room and everyone in the house will hear it and know what that sound is and what it means...

--

Pehmva!

Random quote:

sigimage.php

I'm a Bullseye shooter and also shoot air pistol. RK, you should try air pistol. You can shoot in the house and it will really improve your trigger control. Shooting and caching are alike in several ways, non-players want to regulate them for one.

I like to zero in on things..............

4/1000 of a percent,in the bulls eye,guy.

Whiskey,women and fun,

forget the whiskey,forget the women get the gps and have fun

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS *GEOTRYAGAIN*

TAKE PRIDE IN AMERICA

http://www.doi.gov/news/front_current.html

**1803-2003** "LOUSIANA PURCHASE"

http://www.lapurchase.org

"LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION"

http://lewisclark.geog.missouri.edu/

Arkansas Missouri Geocachrs Association

http://www.ARK-MOGeocachersAssociatoin@msnusers.com

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ark-Mo-Geocachers

quote:
Originally posted by ScrubJ:

OK, so I'm a noob... Gun talk is banned here????

Bingo! No good explanation that I've heard, other than the abovementioned. Peole feel it's a legitimate tool for caching, while others disagree. Therefore it is forbidden to discuss it.

icon_biggrin.gif

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by ScrubJ:

OK, so I'm a noob... Gun talk is banned here???

Apparently so. Jeremy's last post on the topic is here.

Before anybody starts misrepresenting my opinions on this matter I refer to this quote from a previous post of mine on another thread:

quote:
Originally posted by Seneca (long ago thread):

I support the right to own guns (are you surprised?). I support the right to hunt (although I would never do so myself). I support the right to participate in gun related sports. In fact, my son is an avid archer and owns a weapon that I purchased for him which could easily kill if that was his intent. If you are carrying a weapon for legitimate hunting - no problem with me. If you are carrying a weapon for target practice - suit yourself.

Now the reason the "Gun" discussions are frowned upon by TPTB, is that the discussion usually becomes simple, geocaching unrelated, gun talk about the best way to “cock your glock”. Then someone says how they couldn’t possibly trek without their “Kel-Tec”. And then, I, (wanting to get in on the discussion), make my personal observation that people who have an irrational desire not to ever leave their home without equipping and preparing themselves to commit homicide, have “had their brains turned to mush from sniffing too much gunpowder”. Apparently some people don’t like this observation, and things get pretty heated.

The thread then gets closed either because the discussion has nothing to do with geocaching, or it gets a little too ugly. I’m not too sure which one.

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me. geol4.JPG

Regardless of whether you or myself are carrying or not, it is a choice that we have made. I hope that we can agree that not all have the same opinion on firearms, but we respect the other individual's right to have an opinion on the matter. The original post was regarding a possible corelation between those that geocache and those that shoot. I believe that there might be, however, I might be mistaken. Not to start a flame, but I do not ask what is in your house, so please, do not ask what is in mine.

See the happy moron

He doesn't give a da**

I wish I were a moron

My God, perhaps I am

Author Unkown

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

Now the reason the "Gun" discussions are frowned upon by TPTB, is that the discussion usually becomes simple, geocaching unrelated, gun talk about the best way to “cock your glock”. Then someone says how they couldn’t possibly trek without their “Kel-Tec”. And then, I, (wanting to get in on the discussion), make my personal observation that people who have an irrational desire not to ever leave their home without equipping and preparing themselves to commit homicide, have “had their brains turned to mush from sniffing too much gunpowder”. Apparently some people don’t like this observation, and things get pretty heated.

The thread then gets closed either because the discussion has nothing to do with geocaching, or it gets a little too ugly. I’m not too sure which one.

My suspicion is that it degenerates into playground scuffling because of responses to the trolling that magically appears, and Jeremy is tired of hearing about it. Just my suspicion. I'd love to see 3 or 4 pages dedicated to questions that are gun/geocache related, without it degenerating into name-calling or the best way to kill a threat.

I'm such a sad idealist... icon_frown.gif

--------------------

[This message was edited by mckee on September 02, 2003 at 08:39 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by clearpath:

I wouldn't. This website is dedicated to Geocaching. Take the misguided gun topic somewhere else.

icon_smile.gif

My suspicion is that it degenerates into playground scuffling because of responses to the trolling that magically appears....

icon_smile.gif

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by clearpath:

icon_smile.gif

Or ... This website is dedicated to Geocaching. Take the misguided gun topic somewhere else.

icon_smile.gif

The issue will always be kicked around, as some people think it's valid.

Thanks for bumping the thread!

--------------------

Clearpath. Guns and Geocaching are related in my neck of the woods. I live in bear and mountain lion country. When I geocache alone I always go armed. I wouldn't geocache without one. We talk about what we wear, what we eat, what we pack (survival gear), why wouldn't we talk about guns?

If you're scared of guns don't look here.

Or here

"When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pu**y." - General(ret) Tommy Franks

As has been stated before, I think that both hobbies are done in the same areas, generally, with the exception of urban caches. Both can be done safely and responsibly, or recklessly and irresponsibly. I know plenty of people who think that I am crazy for having an interest in finding little boxes full of dollar store items, just as plenty of people think I'm crazy for having an interest in firearms. If you don't like it, noone made you click on the thread. If I saw a thread related to something I have no interest in, I WOULDN'T LOOK AT IT.

"I'm 35 Years old, I am divorced, and I live in van down by the river!" - Matt Foley

Too many people to agree with and at least one jerk. icon_rolleyes.gif

I like to zero in on things. If I had the free cash and time, I would shoot sporting clays about two or three times a week. I make due with once a month, when I'm lucky. I'm not into killin things, but the people who do it responsibly are OK by me.

I disagree with TPTB that guns are not an issue to be discussed alongside geocaching. UNLESS that is, if you want to discuss the properties of a particular gun. There are plenty of other places to do THAT.

When safety is an issue, as it will always be in geocaching, then the gun debate will continue. Efforts to squash it will be resented.

Of course, you can talk about "anything" on the abject silliness thread. Much of the gun debate belongs on a thread with a title that is more appropriate.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

What about Mastadons and Buffalo and T-REX,them indians or Neandrathal dealt with them without guns so bears,mountian lions and the like are the same today if yu go out expecting danger then you will encounter it,if you seek a peaceful journey you can find that as well,

I can tell you about a three toed bear in Northern New Mexico that did not like man because he was trapped and got loose,

Ole three toes would not let man or beast in his territory so one day,without a gun me and Ole three toes had a talk and you know after that, I do not like many men or ........ either.

Ole three toes still lives there and I go visit when in his neck of the woods and though a avid Sportsman,gun owner,bow owner,and......all that too

Just ask Ole three toes, when you ask for it you get it and sometimes you do not even have to ask.

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS

*GEOTRYAGAIN*

TAKE PRIDE IN AMERICA

http://www.doi.gov/news/front_current.html

1803-2003

"LOUSIANA PURCHASE"

http://www.lapurchase.org

"LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION"

http://lewisclark.geog.missouri.edu/index

Arkansas Missouri Geocachrs Association

http://www.ARK-MOGeocachersAssociatoin@msnusers.com

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ark-Mo-Geocachers

GEO*Trailblazer, If you want to be a victim then go right ahead. On average in my state every year someone is killed by a cat or bear. If you choose to cary a whistle, bear repellant, or sing a happy song then by all means do it. Please give me some credit. I'm a soldier and risk assessments are a major part of my life. Check my stats, I've done a number of caches in Virginia. Did I carry a firearm there, no. I did a proper risk assessment of my environment. Do I carry while in a large group, no. I grew up in Mobile, Alabama and lived through Hurricane Cameille. Large numbers of people chose to not take any precautions because they had never experienced the force of a hurricane. The danger was real but they chose to ignore it. They paid the ultimate price. You may walk through the woods your entire life and never encounter a dangerous situation. I chose to be prepared for the dangers.

"When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pu**y." - General(ret) Tommy Franks

I don't care a whit whether you are pro or anti gun. Answer the poll if you like but quit carping about pro or anti gun rules.

Are you a geocacher and also a hunter? Yes or no. More opinions on guns should go elsewhere.

I'm an expert marksman, and I'm neither pro or anti gun. I do think that having a gun as an avatar is a bit much, if not intentionally provocative.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

icon_smile.gifThe two (shooting and geocaching) came about at separate times for me. I was shooting long before they even made a GPSr. The geocaching thing is just another reason to get outside and wander. I'm not real fond of the organized range kind of shooting. There is a nice range about 3 miles from the house run by the county but I don't have any interest in shooting there because they won't let me set up a pop can. (And yes, we bring our shot-up targets back with us plus other junk.) Hunted for a while but didn't get enough real shooting and they wanted me to keep buying a license every year even if I didn't get a deer. So now its just informal target shooting. No license needed.

What are you looking for?

quote:
I do think that having a gun as an avatar is a bit much, if not intentionally provocative.

Granted, this is your playground Jeremy, but it's no more provocative than any other avatar I have seen here. I don't see how a Goverment Model .45ACP as an avatar is any worse than a bucket of Doot or a cartoon illustration. Are the EOD avatars provocative? Variety is the spice of life....

I enjoy firearms and I enjoy geocaching. I guess the reason I enjoy both sports is because they allow me to enjoy the outdoors with my family.

Jeff

http://www.StarsFellOnAlabama.com

http://www.NotAChance.com

If you hide it, they will come....

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

What he / said.

I like the outdoors and hunting and fishing were where I started using my first gps. They all go hand in hand.

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

Caching without a clue....

Shooting dittos, umc! (and I bet I'm gonna catch a lot of grief for *that* remark)

Ya nailed it!

Patrick

carpe cerevisi

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

I don't care a whit whether you are pro or anti gun. Answer the poll if you like but quit carping about pro or anti gun rules.

Are you a geocacher and also a hunter? Yes or no. More opinions on guns should go elsewhere.

I'm an expert marksman, and I'm neither pro or anti gun. I do think that having a gun as an avatar is a bit much, if not intentionally provocative.

Thank you for weighing in and giving direction regarding acceptable discussion. I appreciate it, and I suspect others here do, too.

The avatars are personal things, but are far more interesting when changed from time to time. Statements? Of course they are. Provocative? Sometimes, sometimes not. That would be fodder for a different thread, I think. icon_wink.gif

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by 1911:

I haven't hunted in years due to the difficulty finding a spot to do it in this god foresaken state.I was lured to geocaching just for what it is.

I am an avid USPSA/IPSC competitor,nothing quite like run and gun shooting for me.

Which god-forsaken state? There are so many to choose from!

--------------------