X-rated pop-up

ron50eli

If you are doing it the old fashion way, not running any of the pop-up stoppers, remember: The fastest way to close the window on top is

(That his hold down the ALT key and hit the F4 key. NOT the F and 4 keys)

Works wonders for the evil multiple popups. Also works for the ones that pop up in your task bar and then move themselves off the screen so you cant click on the X close. ALT-F4 will take care of any window on top, even if it is moved off the screen. (Windows boxes of course. I assume Mac's have a key combination as well.)

66427_2800.gif

We have an HP. We also have pop-up killer. This is a full screen website about sex chat. Just an FYI. I'll try the altF4 next time. Acually I'll write it down, as I know that I'll forget what it is. It doesn't happen very often. But when it does it makes me icon_mad.gif

We have, as I mentioned before, all the securities too! Thanks for input.

rocker51 icon_smile.gif

The popup you are seeing is coming from "spyware," which is software that is installed with another program that runs in the background and generates the popups as it watches you surf. Normal virus scanners do not remove it, because (theoretically) you installed it voluntarily.

Go to www.lavasoft.de and download Ad-Aware, a free program that will remove the spyware for you. I use it regularly, and it works very well.

quote:
Originally posted by ron50eli:

We have, as I mentioned before, all the securities too!

I hate to say it but......The pop-up ads are not coming from this site. They are coming from software that has installed itself in your computer.

Do what the others here have recomended and scan you hard drive. There are too many ways for this type of software to sneak in for me to list here.

So just check for ad-ware and spy-ware. That should get you moving in the right direction.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

I was getting a pop up from Messenger service, this is how to stop that in XP. Go to Settings->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services and find the service called “Messenger” in the list. Double click on it and change the startup mode to “Manual” then click the stop button.

Ad-Aware is great, and you should get it NOW. First time I ran it there were more than 40 bits of spyware found.

We're also on Earthlink, and their POP-UP BLOCKER eliminates 99% of pop-ups. I really no longer get them at all!

Charlie

"One should never begin a journey by heading in the wrong direction."

quote:
Originally posted by LarsThorwald:

Ad-Aware is great, and you should get it NOW. First time I ran it there were more than 40 bits of spyware found.

To be fair, most of what Ad-Aware reports as "found" is actually cookies for various ad providers. Unless you're ultra-sensitive about your privacy, those usually aren't too harmful. It's the stuff that's not cookies that you need to worry about.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

To be fair, most of what Ad-Aware reports as "found" is actually cookies for various ad providers. Unless you're ultra-sensitive about your privacy, those usually aren't too harmful. It's the stuff that's not cookies that you need to worry about.

Yes, but to be doubly fair, unless you really LIKE targeted ads and tracking by folks like DoublClick, it's still nice of Ad-Aware to let you know who's watching you, and letting it remove everything it finds is the easiest and surest way to use it.

ron50eli, When you run ad-Aware (which is free, by the way) look carefuly at the list of things it says it's found...if you tend to download a lot of stuff from the net, or click "OK" a lot when you get install security warnings, you may be suprized to find how much of what you you've agreed to install is ad-ware and spy-ware.

ApK

Mozilla, the latest version of Netscape (built on Mozilla, anyway) and - my choice - Opera all have built-in pop-up blocking.

But has already been stated, Groundspeak does not use any pop-ups, so it is most likely some piece of spyware on your system.

-----

Memory is a prism through which yesterday's light is passed.

What's been posted so far about pop-ups is true and the discussion is right on. However, I'm sensitive on this issue as I hate pop-ups and pop-unders so much that they make me want to damage my computer, so I'm going to make an official announcement on this issue: icon_biggrin.gif

• Groundspeak does not and will not ever use pop-up or pop-under ads.

I also made this post on a similar topic a few months ago.

-Elias

I recently came across this freeware program (the creator will accept donations) that finds and removes a lot more than Ad-Ware does.

Was an easy download and got rid of a nasty spyware program called CometCursor and another I've forgotten the name of.

I'm not connected to the product...it just worked well for me.

CB

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. So many. Yikes. I do want to make one thing clear tho. I'm not accusing Groundspeak for the pop-up. Not at all. Like some have said, must be something we have in our system. The only thing I'm saying is that only one, just one site comes up every now & then & it's a sex chat. So Please groudspeak don't think I'm blaming anyone here. I appreciate all comment & will try some of them.

Again thank you very much for your input & help.

Happy & Safe Caching

rocker51.

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Please no one yell at me or any crude remarks. I just trying to learn. I just got it again along with another one. They are tnyw.com I pressed alt-F-4 then I got spyonyou.com....so i pressed the same again. Then it all went away. I will try the other suggestion. And yes, Groundspeak does not have pop-ups. I agree... So like many have said must be something in our system. I know I repeated that, but I want to clear the air.

rocker51

quote:
Originally posted by cachebaby:

I recently came across this freeware program (the creator will accept donations) that finds and removes a lot more than Ad-Ware does.

[Was an easy download and got rid of a nasty spyware program called CometCursor and another I've forgotten the name of.]

We use to have comet cursor. But not anymore. Thought it was neat. Hummmmm...Could it be hiding???

rocker51

I'm not connected to the product...it just worked well for me.

CB

quote:
Originally posted by ron50eli:

We use to have comet cursor. But not anymore. Thought it was neat. Hummmmm...Could it be hiding???

Most programs that install spyware will not remove the spyware even when you uninstall the original.

-----

Memory is a prism through which yesterday's light is passed.