Words with which to kill a thread

I've noticed that on several occasions when a thread has beat to death that someone invariably adds something to the end of their post like "this thread needs to die" and there is always at least one person who will make another post. Is this normal?

What's your favourite end of post plea?

quote:
Originally posted by ZingerHead:

archived.

Jeremy.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.

I like that but I also like:

Discuss geocaching and don't be a hairless rat.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

Caching without a clue....

whoooly crap, when I saw hydee post before me I figured I posted in the wrong thread. that was scary.

What the heck are you doing in here anyway?

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

quote:
Originally posted by ZingerHead:

archived.

Jeremy.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.

I like that but I also like:

Discuss geocaching and don't be a hairless rat.

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

There are only two kinds of people in the world.

I think that the term Enouououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououououogh Already!!! is a little more appropriate don't you???

Pet peeve: Seeing someone try to get the last word by telling everyone else to shut up!

I once tried: "When I want to continue a discussion, I respond to what the previous person said. When I want to end a discussion, I say nothing." That of cours e didn't end the discussion, but at least the person who said "Shut up" or words to that effect didn't get the last word.icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

In answer to Jomarac's original question, Is this normal? The answer is: It SHOULD be normal. We should all make it a MISSION never to let someone who tries to kill a topic have the last word. If they want it to end, they should not say anything.icon_razz.gif

Why do we want to end someone else's topic?

[This message was edited by Loonie Easter Bunnies on June 25, 2003 at 11:54 PM.]

I once started a topic on the Canada forum, and in the five days it was on the forum it got NOT A SINGLE REPLY. Anyone who thought that topic was worthless did a very effective job of letting it die.

If a topic is exhausted, let the regurgitated drivel stand there - it's a lot better discussion killer than a "shut up" would be. If it's your OWN topic and you don't want the regurgitated drivel to be the last word on your topic, either try to re-stimulate the discussion, or let it stand there for a dece nt length of time and then add something so bland no-one would bother answering it, so it can die on your note instead.

Words bring a topic to the top of the forum. Silence kills it..

[This message was edited by Loonie Easter Bunnies on June 26, 2003 at 12:23 AM.]

Although the words 'end this thread' don't appear in the post, the meaning is clear -- this one is quite good:

"Any thread with Wham! references and goats deserves to be 7 pages. I'll be in the Men's room if you need me....."

(TMAN264)

Shortly afterwards Jeremy gave it a:

"Closing the thread. For good."

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

quote:
Loonie Easter Bunnies wrote:

You guys are a couple of:

Now that's just mean.

icon_eek.gif

Now I know why I don't come to these forums too often. The likes of Loonie Easter Bunnies and Company just out to attack, attack, attack!

Team Og Rof A Klaw writes in the add 5 words thread:

quote:
...someone, please euthanize this thread...

Doesn't seem to be working to well though. icon_biggrin.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

quote:
RobertM wrote:

The likes of Loonie Easter Bunnies and Company just out to attack, attack, attack!

Maybe she's been watching just a little too much Monty Python and she thinks she's a killer rabbit.

BTW: I like the 'euthanize' this thread comment.

quote:
canadazuuk wrote:

We'll have to get Svend Robinson to introduce a private members bill seeking to legalize euthanasia...

That is, if you can get him away from the local rest stops. icon_eek.gif

Did I say that?

Really though, let's get this thread back on track shall we?

I found a few:

quote:
Wow. 11 pointless posts before the actual question was answered. Maybe 5 posts in all with any substance to the actual topic.

Since the question has been answered I'm closing this thread.

quote:
Since this has run its course I'm closing the thread.

quote:
Rather than continue this inane discussion, I'm closing this thread.

Just do a search for 'closing this thread'.

But that's not what you are asking? I will have to do another search when I awake.

quote:
Canadazuuk wrote:

Just do a search for 'closing this thread'.

But that's not what you are asking?

No it's not. The question is not for quotes of the thread being closed but quotes requesting for the thread to be closed.

Some of the closing this thread posts are quite funny though. I suppose we could include both here.

quote:
Originally posted by RobertM:

The likes of Loonie Easter Bunnies and Company just out to attack, attack, attack!

No, in fact I was defending. Did you SEE what those two DID to embarrass and taunt me? Actually it was Canadazuuk who did it but Jomarac chimed right in.

(If anyone who wasn't there last night finds my rats offensive, please let me know WELL WITHIN the 24-hour expiry so I can delete them - thanks! icon_smile.gif Hairless rats actually are very friendly and sweetnatured pets.)Ó

[This message was edited by Loonie Easter Bunnies on June 26, 2003 at 06:53 PM.]

quote:
Loonie Easter Bunnies wrote:

please let me know WELL WITHIN the 24-hour expiry so I can delete them

Boy, I've noticed that you sure don't have a problem editing your posts to say something significantly different, hours after you first posted something. That's just rude -- especially after people have responded to your original post (please don't argue that no one has responded to this post -- I know that already).

If people are to take you seriously perhaps you should consider what you are wanting to say and get your thoughts sorted out before you post them. Editing your posts a few minutes after posting them to correct spelling or grammatical errors is no big deal (I believe you have 6 or 7 minutes after making a post to edit without 'This message was edited...' showing up) but changing the meaning or thrust of the post several hours later is just not cool. If you realize after making your post that you have something more to say, or you want to recant what you said, post a new message. This is one reason why I don't like posts being editable for 24 hours -- it allows far too much abuse.

If you're going to play ball, at least play fairly.

Regarding "Did you SEE what those two DID to embarrass and taunt me?" -- please don't cry about taking a few hits when you yourself are pretty good about dishing them out -- you got just a small taste (a very small taste) of what's possible -- if you can't take this, then maybe you shouldn't be in the forums at all.

Did you see the movie 'A League of Their Own', where Tom Hanks played the manager for the womens baseball team -- my favourite line was "Are you crying? Are you crying? ARE YOU CRYING? There's no crying, there's no crying in baseball!". That was great, and that's what I'm talking about here.

You know how things can get in these forums. If you dish it out, you're going to get it back.

If you're not up to it, then stay away.

oh man is this gonna be cominininininininininininininininininiininniinininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininininining to an end?

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

[boy, I've noticed that you sure don't have a problem editing your posts to say something significantly different, hours after you first posted something . . . at least play fairly

When I edited a couple of my posts (other than very minor edits like you said) I thought I made it clear when and why I added or changed something so that it wouldn't confuse anyone. Will try to pay more attention to this next time. Isn't the edit there to allow you to reconsider? - if anyone replies, their quote preserves your original words. For example, if I write something just before heading to bed and wake up the next morning realizing people might take it too seriously, I can add a smile or try to lighten up the wording. Or if I realize I made a terrible mistake I can change it. Or if I think something may not be clear I can add more to clarify. Or if after this is on the page I see it's longer than your post that I'm replying to, I can shorten it. icon_smile.gif

Regarding crying, I guess I should have woken up the next morning and added a icon_wink.gif to "did you SEE what those guys DID ..." icon_smile.gif

I'm not clear on what it is that you were upset about (have been away for three days and just saw your post now), but will contact you by e-mail to try straightening it out. Also was not sure whether RobertM was joking; it wasn't until I read his comment that it occurred to me people not accustomed to rodent pets might find those photos offensive - they were put there in a spirit of keeping it lighthearted.

[This message was edited by Loonie Easter Bunnies on June 30, 2003 at 06:46 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Loonie Easter Bunnies:

Isn't the edit there to allow you to reconsider? - if anyone replies, their quote preserves your original words. For example, if I write something just before heading to bed and wake up the next morning realizing people might take it too seriously, I can add a smile or try to lighten up the wording. Or if I realize I made a terrible mistake I can change it.

The tongue sets many forests afire.

quote:
Chris&Cindy wrote: The best is no words at all, it will fall off the page and pass into memory then fade away forever...until the next idiot replies and brings it back like a bad case of Herpies.
I agree that not replying is the best way to end a thread, but we're not looking for ways to end a thread -- the question here is:

"What's your favourite end of post plea?"