||||| Could Geocaching Save an Obese Generation? How Much Have You Lost? |||||

I came across an Activity Calorie Calculator tonight, which shows Orienteering as being able to burn 529 calories in 1/2 hour for a 240 lb. male. That seems like a really good number. That's similar to snow shoeing, playing hockey and vigorous stationary rowing.

I have read other threads here which mention substantial weight loss as being a positive benefit of geocaching.

Maybe there is some validity in this notion?

Could geocaching save an obese generation?

Lost?

I eat chocolate donuts while reading the forums.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

I went to the Dr. last month for suspected Lyme disease...negative...thank god. I figured he's probably ask me where I had been that I thought I my have contracted Lyme disease so I took a printout with me from geocaching.com...my Dr. was fascinated with geocaching and now recommends it to all of his patients that have weight problems or just need to incorporate exercise in their lifestyle.

"The more I study nature, the more I am amazed at the Creator."

- Louis Pasteur

I'm a pretty big guy (check the pic in my profile), and I have only been doing this for a couple of weeks. But in those few weeks I have noticed (so has my wife)that I am losing weight, My waist pack keeps needing re-adjustment. But I am not eating junk, I'm eating healthy, and drinking tons of water! My energy level has also sky rocketed!

We're not addicted...we can cache...er I mean quit anytime we want.

I guess I'm just a wierd person (ok I know it, not just guess it), but I don't ever seem to lose or gain weight... if I lose 2 pounds today, I'll gain it back tomorrow. If I gain 5 pounds today, I'll lose it tomorrow. My activity levels vary from week to week, but every time I step on the scale I see the same weight. So, I guess I haven't lost anything while geocaching, but as BassoonPilot suggested, I may be extending my expiration date some. Perhaps there should be a 'how many years did you add to your life thread...'

I've been geocaching about a month and have been on a diet for 2.5 months, so I can't directly attribute my total of 27lbs weight loss to geocaching, but since I've started caching I've easily walked/hiked 10 miles or more that I wouldn't have otherwise, biked 15-20 miles, and crawled over a lot of rocks and jumped a few streams.

Now I've just got 50lbs more to go icon_rolleyes.gif

Geocaching beats the hell out of a treadmill, that's for sure.

I hope so, Canadazuuk, I really hope so. Hubby and are neocachers and took up the hobby around about the same time we decided to lose some weight. I don't know that any of the weight we have lost (about 5 kilos each) can be directly attributed to caching - but it certainly does get us out of the house, climbing hills, scrambling through bushes and whatnot. Unlike plain old hiking or (shudder!) jogging - caching has a purpose and reward. Treasure!

I'm guilty as the next person in trying to figure out the absolute closest spot to park before I head out looking for a cache. Most caches I've looked at are less than 1km away from parking. (Hanging head in shame).

I'm thinking of planting a "Get Out and Walk, Dammit" cache that would be at least 5K from parking as encouragement to myself and others to get out and get moving. I'm also hoping to get out and do Cymbc's 24 K Bow River Ride cache very soon.

quote:
Originally posted by cmpalmer:

but since I've started caching I've easily walked/hiked 10 miles or more that I wouldn't have otherwise

Now that I can relate to. Before caching, my wife and I would ocasionally take a 2 mile walk through our neighborhood for exercise. It seemed like a lot at the time and we rarely did it during the winter (too cold). Now those two miles seem so easy I'd hardly break a sweat! Winter? I'll get outside in 20 degree weather to find a cache whereas I wouldn't leave the house before!

I personally like the caches with a bit of a hike to them. There are a lot of urban caches in my area that are practically drive-up caches so I don't get to find many of the ones with some distance. I need to set out to find more that require some distance to find. I just recently hid my first cache and it requires a 1/3 mi. walk from the parking to get to the cache location.

Don't know exactly how much I've lost cause I don't have any scales, but people have been telling me I've lost weight. All this since February.

Last week I even invested in a Mt. Bike, so I'll be burning even more fat.

Thank God for Geocaching. And Thank Jeremy.

If you get lost while geocaching, don't worry. Someone else will get lost while geocaching and find you. icon_wink.gif

With all this talk of calories, perhaps Garmin and Magellan will be persuaded to add a calorie counter feature for its new GPS products. icon_wink.gif

Imagine all the implications for future caches. For example, the cache hint could be something like "...go 2300 calories West..." icon_biggrin.gif

--CoronaKid

I've gained about 15 pounds in the little over 1 year time period since I started caching. Sad, but I now am that 240 pound guy. Can't blame it on the caching at all, other than maybe a couple of times I did short caches on days when I would have done longer hikes.

I might end up dropping a little this weekend trying to place a cache. There's a spot I've been meaning to hit for months, just a few miles from the house. It will only be about a 5 mile hike as I recal, one way of course. The 4,000 feet of elevation gain on the sunny side of the hill should kick up the calorie burn however.

Depends on what kind of caches you hunt, how much you walk, what kind of terrain you are climbing, and what kind of food you eat.

What is good about geocaching as an activity is that its fun, gives you reward for your walk, is variable, and given the range of caches from VERY easy 0.5/0.5's to 6/6's its something that most people could do at least as part of a more active lifestyle.

Would not count on any activity to be the be all and end all of the obesity problem.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nebraskache/

Dont forget, your weight may stay the same, or it might actually go UP.

If you excersize, you loose fat, hence weight....

BUT, once you loose that fat, or if you have no fat to lose, you then GAIN muscle, which weighs more than fat....

This might be why people who have a little fat, dont notice any weight loss....You're converting the fat to muscle...

If you're really concerned about losing the fat, rather than weight, you should be looking at body fat numbers, rather than your weight loss...

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

www.pirate4x4.com

Did a tough Cache today Hot & Humid, took 45 minutes of Bushwhacking, made the find. Went out for lunch, had 2 Nathan’s Franks with a Medium size order of Fries and a Diet Coke of course, then headed over to TCBY for a Medium cup of Chocolate Chip Mint Ice Cream. I think Mosquitoes (The Official New Jersey Bird of Prey) removed the only weight I lost today. icon_biggrin.gif

"Deep in the Heart of Jersey"

i have gone from large size shirts to medium. i have gone from XL pants to L. i have taken 4 inches off my waist.

i have not lost a pound. i'm assumng that i have traded fat for muscle mass.

parenthetically, i am posting much faster times in my races even though i train less, because i'm out geocaching.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

I've been geocaching for about 17 Trafalmadorian fetoffs (2 earth years), I've lost about 685 miskates (45 earth lbs.), but that's not the real story. The real story is I am much healthier, spend more time outdoors, have much more energy and have a real good tool for fighting stress (which can lead to depression) and it is something that Sugar and I BOTH enjoy. Trafalmador wasn't nearly as much fun. The only exercise I got there was during the Inter-demensional Olympics when I got to play on the Herne Team (I was a really good deidlemurd).

This 'flying saucer' situation is not at all imaginary or seeing too much in some natural phenomena. Something is really flying around. The phenomenon is something real and not visionary or fictitious. - Gen. Nathan Twining Chief of Staff, US Air Force, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

I know for myself and a few other cachers in my area, geocaching has definately contributed to a busier, healthier level of activity... For myself, caching is an extra activity I can do to keep the cardio up, though I have yet to see waste size reduction or anything dramatic...

As for the webcaching sport, I don't think it burns to many calories. There are a lot of webcachers though. Anyone can tell you that.

I just told my hubby this last night...

Ok I was just trying to justify my addiction!

But I am trying to add to the GPS when we jump out. Meaning if we are .30 miles away we will jump out instead of .25 miles away like last week...I am trying to up the jump out point!

quote:
Originally posted by yummykaz:

But I am trying to add to the GPS when we jump out. Meaning if we are .30 miles away we will jump out instead of .25 miles away like last week...I am trying to up the jump out point!

That's Good!!! And stay away from those lame drive-by caches. They're as bad as jelly donuts!!! icon_biggrin.gif

19973_600.gif

The adventures of Navdog, Justdog, and Otterpup

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

I never lost weight geocaching but I dropped 15 lbs on Atkins.

As well as shortened your lifespan considerably.

I think most of us don't get the full benefit because we're looking to park the vehicle as close as possible. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker7M:

BUT, once you loose that fat, or if you have no fat to lose, you then GAIN muscle, which weighs more than fat....

This might be why people who have a little fat, dont notice any weight loss....You're converting the fat to muscle...

If you're really concerned about losing the fat, rather than weight, you should be looking at body fat numbers, rather than your weight loss...

Art

http://www.yankeetoys.org

http://www.BudBuilt.com

http://www.pirate4x4.com

I just felt the need to clarify here, I usually do when I see this statement. You were pretty close, but a bit off on some of that.

Some people will gain weight, and yes hopefully that is due to increased muscle mass due to the increased activity level. But you really don't convert fat into muscle.

You only lose fat, it doesn't magically change into something more useful. Everyone that has started caching who was not very active to begin with will build new muscle because they are actually using the muscles that they were neglecting before. The fat is burned as a result of building muscle.

Also, having a greater muscle mass helps burn more fat, because muscle requires more energy to maintain.

I do agree that it is more important to look at your percent body fat numbers rather than just your weight.

The Physical Education teacher in me was just jumping up and down yelling "let me talk!" when I saw the post. Good luck on all your caches and keep it up. The health benefits are definitely here.

Signature? I don't need no stinkin signature!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

I came across an Activity Calorie Calculator tonight, which shows _Orienteering_ as being able to burn 529 calories in 1/2 hour for a 240 lb. male. That seems like a really good number. That's similar to snow shoeing, playing hockey and vigorous stationary rowing.

I have read other threads here which mention _substantial weight loss_ as being a positive benefit of geocaching.

Maybe there is some validity in this notion?

Could geocaching save an obese generation?

Goodafternoon,

yes my wife and I began the geocaching in an effort to increase the level of outdoor physical activity and as an added benefit of weightloss. We have encountered very few other geocachers but it would appear these local geocachers are also seeking the weightloss benefit.

quote:
Originally posted by Perrin:

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker7M:

Art

http://www.yankeetoys.org

http://www.BudBuilt.com

http://www.pirate4x4.com

I just felt the need to clarify here, I usually do when I see this statement. You were pretty close, but a bit off on some of that.

Some people will gain weight, and yes hopefully that is due to increased muscle mass due to the increased activity level. But you really don't convert fat into muscle.

You only lose fat, it doesn't magically change into something more useful. Everyone that has started caching who was not very active to begin with will build new muscle because they are actually using the muscles that they were neglecting before. The fat is burned as a result of building muscle.

Also, having a greater muscle mass helps burn more fat, because muscle requires more energy to maintain.

I do agree that it is more important to look at your percent body fat numbers rather than just your weight.

The Physical Education teacher in me was just jumping up and down yelling "let me talk!" when I saw the post. Good luck on all your caches and keep it up. The health benefits are definitely here.

Signature? I don't need no stinkin signature!!!!

I think we all knew what cracker was saying there! ;-)

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a cache.