Stirring the pot: Annoying Avatars & Cutesy Quotes

The images are not actually avatars. Avatars are currently disabled. There are certainly some annoying signature images. I got tired of them so I downloaded the Proxomitron, which can be set to kill all animated GIFs. There are some annoyingly large graphics and long signatures, but I hardly notice them anymore. Unfortunately, there is not much that can be done about them. Unless people come to their senses and realize how annoying their sigs are.

rdw

I usually disable my signature if I am posting more than one reply in any given string(although, I don't alwaysremember to shut it off.) Besides its no more irritating than the people who insist on using or trying to use ALL of the instant Graemlins in a single post. icon_rolleyes.gif

Lost? I'm not lost. At least I don't think I'm lost, well............OK, maybe just a little.

I usually disable my signature if I am posting more than one reply in any given string(although, I don't alwaysremember to shut it off.) Besides its no more irritating than the people who insist on using or trying to use ALL of the instant Graemlins in a single post. icon_rolleyes.gif

Lost? I'm not lost. At least I don't think I'm lost, well............OK, maybe just a little.

I just don't think that the broadband-endowed think about those of us who are lucky to get a 26.4Kbps connection from our home in the woods.

I love the folks here, but Puh-LEESE keep the sig logos small, unanimated, and PLEASE post LINKS to photos.

I'm not irritated at anyone in particular. I just think that all people always think about the bandwidth challenged.

---------------

Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

I definitely have a home in the sticks and the only way I’ll ever get a faster connection is if I use a satellite.

I don’t know, the avatars seem innocent enough. Let’s face it, we’re not discussing earth shattering matters here. Gotta admit though, some times when I’ve had a bad day and I’m just browsing the boards to relax, I’m not in the mood for the things, even my own.

creekbed%20logo%20original.gif

CreekBed.com

I usually only use my sig in the first post in a thread. But then....I'm not easily annoyed either.

_ __ ____________________________________________________________ __ _

On my first day of school, my parents dropped me off at the wrong nursery -- there I was, surrounded by trees and shrubs.....

I don't mind the signature quotes/lines - I get a laugh out of some of them (I particularly like Max Wedge's above.) I'd have something like that myself, but I haven't yet thought of anything humorous enough and geocaching related.

The pics do get annoying though, particularly the large ones. I've got a pretty good dial-up connection, but it still takes a while for them to load. At least its not as bad as some forums though - I used to frequent a board where the pics in signatures got so bad that they were disabled completely...

Honestly ... they are helpful in away ... if I'm scanning down a long string ... I can visually pick out my posts or someone else's posts that I'm looking for by that image ... but I can understand how much a pain in the butt it could be using a dial up connection. Of course you could just hit the escape key or the stop once it's loaded if you don't like the annimation. I like it personally .. but maybe I just don't have a life icon_biggrin.gif .... I know that when I'm overseas ... the connection I'm able to get when it's working in some places like Bolivia ... is slower than the first fax machines ... and sometimes I can only connect at 4:00 am ... But ... all I can say now is GOD BLESS THE USA AND CABLE CONNECTIONS!

348_2702.gif

Honestly ... they are helpful in away ... if I'm scanning down a long string ... I can visually pick out my posts or someone else's posts that I'm looking for by that image ... but I can understand how much a pain in the butt it could be using a dial up connection. Of course you could just hit the escape key or the stop once it's loaded if you don't like the annimation. I like it personally .. but maybe I just don't have a life icon_biggrin.gif .... I know that when I'm overseas ... the connection I'm able to get when it's working in some places like Bolivia ... is slower than the first fax machines ... and sometimes I can only connect at 4:00 am ... But ... all I can say now is GOD BLESS THE USA AND CABLE CONNECTIONS!

348_2702.gif

I especially hate the signature lines! I keep telling my other two personalities that they should take them off of our posts... or at least... between the two of them... decide on only one... but NOoooooo! So I live with it! What can you do?

Eagles may soar but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines!

The early bird gets the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese!

quote:
Originally posted by Max Wedge:

I usually only use my sig in the first post in a thread.

If you're doing that to help the bandwidth challenged, don't bother. Even if a webpage has 50 references to an image, your browser is only going to download that image once. And if caching (not the Geo.. kind) is turned on, that's the only time it will be downloaded for that session, if not longer.

PS_sig.gif

You want no images, limited smiley faces, and faster downloads?

Why I do believe that there is a usenet group that fits this description perfectly.

For the record, I'm on dial-up. The images and what-not people use in these forums don't bother me much because I read one thread while another is being downloaded in another browser window.

Were I paying something per bit, I'd be a little more concerned but with the all-you-can-eat plan most of us are on I'd say this shouldn't even be a blip on your annoyance radar.

quote:
Originally posted by JeepNAz:

There are still people with modems???? Do they have rotary phones too?

I actually still have a rotary phone, although I rarely dial with it. I just keep it plugged in in the bedroom so I don't have to walk as far to hang up on sales calls. I use a modem at home, too. And we don't have cable or satellite TV!

I kinda like the signature graphics and quotes. I do wish people would use links for photos.

25021_1200.gif

I put the sig image in MAINLY so I could easily identify my posts!!!

I sure wish the Avatars worked because then the image would appear down the lefthand side under our names and we could turn off the ones in our signature.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

If you want to turn off "avatars" you can always do this. Also, if you using anything slower than a 56K modem I'd highly suggest doing this for ALL of your web surfing.

In Netscape Navigator

Select Edit / Preferences

Select Advance

Uncheck "Automatically Load Images"

In Microsoft Internet Explorer

Select Tools / Internet Options

Select Advanced

Scroll down to Multimedia

Uncheck "Show Pictures"

- Lone Rangers

quote:
Originally posted by alienpuppy:

I like the images, but I think that they belong under the username in the left column. I wonder if when avatars are turned on, this is where they will be?

Signatures are OK, just so long as they are clearly separated from the reply, and not too long.

/AlienPuppy

The avatars were originally betwwen the user ID and the subtitle on the left. By subtitle, I mean Geocacher, Charter Member, Grand Exhalted Potentate, etc. The people at InfoPop are taking their sweet time fixing this problem. Maybe they are focusing on the crashes before taking on the avatar problem.

rdw

quote:
Originally posted by rdw:

.... By subtitle, I mean Geocacher, Charter Member, Grand Exhalted Potentate, etc. The people at InfoPop are taking their sweet time fixing this problem. Maybe they are focusing on the crashes before taking on the avatar problem.

rdw

All right! Brand name recognition! icon_biggrin.gif But joking aside ... good point. It seems to have bad moments and not so bad moments ... but never a session that goes without a hitch. On another note ... is it me or are more folks getting Avatars and Signature graphics confused ... even though it's pointed out over and over? Oh well ... since the avatars don't appear to ever going to "appear" ... it's sort of a moot point!

348_2702.gif

quote:
Originally posted by rdw:

.... By subtitle, I mean Geocacher, Charter Member, Grand Exhalted Potentate, etc. The people at InfoPop are taking their sweet time fixing this problem. Maybe they are focusing on the crashes before taking on the avatar problem.

rdw

All right! Brand name recognition! icon_biggrin.gif But joking aside ... good point. It seems to have bad moments and not so bad moments ... but never a session that goes without a hitch. On another note ... is it me or are more folks getting Avatars and Signature graphics confused ... even though it's pointed out over and over? Oh well ... since the avatars don't appear to ever going to "appear" ... it's sort of a moot point!

348_2702.gif

If you like to look at your own graphics, put them in your wallpaper.

If you want to get your image across, use a small graphic in your siganture.

If you want to bog down and annoy the BB which we are all so fond of, continue to spruce up your signature.

I've been wanting to use this one for a while.

hamster.jpg

.. / .... .- - . / .--. --- . - .-. -.-- / - .... .- - / -.. --- . ... -. .----. - / .-. .... -.-- -- . .-.-.- / .. ..-. / .. / .-- . .-. . / . -.. .. - --- .-. / --- ..-. / .- / .--. --- . - .-. -.-- / -... --- --- -.- / .. / .-- --- ..- .-.. -.. -. .----. - / .- .-.. .-.. --- .-- / .. - --..-- / .- -. -.. / .. ..-. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -.-. --- -- .--. .-.. .- .. -. . -.. / .. .----. -.. / -.-- . .-.. .-.. --..-- / .-..-. .... . -.-- / .. - .----. ... / -- -.-- / .-- .- -.-- / --- .-. / - .... . / ..-. .-. . . .-- .- -.-- .-.-.- .-..-. / -.--.- ... .... .- .... . . -. / - --- -. ... . -.--.-

quote:
.. / .... .- - . / .--. --- . - .-. -.-- / - .... .- - / -.. --- . ... -. .----. - / .-. .... -.-- -- . .-.-.- / .. ..-. / .. / .-- . .-. . / . -.. .. - --- .-. / --- ..-. / .- / .--. --- . - .-. -.-- / -... --- --- -.- / .. / .-- --- ..- .-.. -.. -. .----. - / .- .-.. .-.. --- .-- / .. - --..-- / .- -. -.. / .. ..-. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -.-. --- -- .--. .-.. .- .. -. . -.. / .. .----. -.. / -.-- . .-.. .-.. --..-- / .-..-. .... . -.-- / .. - .----. ... / -- -.-- / .-- .- -.-- / --- .-. / - .... . / ..-. .-. . . .-- .- -.-- .-.-.- .-..-. / -.--.- ... .... .- .... . . -. / - --- -. ... . -.--.-

.- .-.. .-.. / .--. --- . - .-. -.-- / ... .... --- ..- -.. / ... - .- .-. - / --- ..- - / .-- .. - .... / ... --- -- . - .... .. -. --. / ... .. -- .. .-.. .- .-. / - --- ---... / .-..-. - .... . .-. . / .-- .- ... / .- / -.-- --- ..- -. ..-. / .-.. .- -.. -.-- / ..-. .-. --- -- / -. .- -. - ..- -.- .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.- .-..-.

-... - .-- --..-- / .. .----. -- / ..-. .. .-. . -- . -.. .. -.-. / --- -. / -. .- ...- .. -.-. .- -.-. .... .

[This message was edited by para2medix on April 07, 2002 at 04:52 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Eric O'Connor:

I've been wanting to use this one for a while.

hamster.jpg

-.. --- / -.-- --- ..- / . -..- .--. . -.-. - / -- . / - --- / - .- .-.. -.- / --. --- .-.. -.. - .- .. .-.. ..--.. / -. --- / -- .-. .-.-.- / ... --.- ..- .. .-. .-. . .-.. --..-- / .. / . -..- .--. . -.-. - / -.-- --- ..- / - --- / -.. .. .

2573_200.jpg

...- /  .--- -... .- --.- .-. . /  ...- ... /  . -... .--. -..- .-.. /  .--- ...- -.-- -.-- /  ..- -. .. .-. /  -. /  --- .... . .- ...- .- - /  ..-. .-. .- ..-. -. --. ...- -... .- /  .--- ..- .-. .- /  ..- .-. /  .... . ...- .- -. --. .-. ..-. ..--.. 

12077_700.gif