Magellan Meridian Case

I don't know about the rest of you Meridian owner's out there but I have been looking for a case for mine to attach to my pack for over a month now. I searched online and in local stores with no luck. Even read a post here on attaching cases to your pack, but was no help. Because of the Meridians larger size I was unable to find any cases it would fit into. Other than the one Magellan made for it that was just too large and didn't lend itself well to attaching to my pack strap. It is so large I store my GPS in it with 4 extra batteries and a pen.

Well I'm happy to tell you all, that may have been experiencing this same problem, that EMS has come to our rescue, or mine at least. I was in today doing my normal weekly looking around when I came upon just what I had been looking for, a case that appears to have been made with the Meridian in mind. It is the same shape and size as the Meridian and comes with a pack strap-attaching clip. It also has a smaller front zipper pouch that looks like just the right size for an extra set of AA's.

It is made by EMS and is called a "Cell Phone Case". But also says on the tag "Padded protection for your phone, GPS or radio". It is black and was $8.00. It may say it is a cell phone case, but after looking at numerous cell phone cases to find a case for my Meridian and having no luck, they were all way too small, I know better. It is a Meridian GPS case for sure.

I was so happy to finally find one I felt obliged to share my great find with others.

SilverRubicon

I would have provided a link if I had found or purchased it online. I found and purchased it at an EMS store locally. If you like I can provide you driving directions. icon_biggrin.gif

Stunod has graciously provided a link for those wanting to see it or wanting to purchase it online.

Thank you Stunod.

SilverRubicon

Hey GEO, when are you & Brogan goin night caching again?... icon_smile.gif

I REALLY wish Magellan would make a Meridian case based on their neoprene Sportrak case.. icon_frown.gif

I REALLY like that case for my ST Map. I protects the receiver at ALL times, even when you're holding it in your hand and fall on your face or @rse... icon_smile.gif

Also lets me read it and usethe buttonswithout unclipping it from my Camelbak strap.

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

http://www.ttora-ne.mainpage.net/

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker7M:

I REALLY wish Magellan would make a Meridian case based on their neoprene Sportrak case.. icon_frown.gif

Art

/

Agree completely. Have one for my Pro. At first it looks like it won't work because the Meridians are pear-shaped--fatter at the bottom. But I think it would work if the case slipped on from the top. Just need a very secure fastening system at the bottom.

don

Sorry for not getting back to you Cracker7M and Jamie Z before now. I will take some photos of the clip mechanism tonight and try to get them posted here for everyone to see.

The clip looks like it should work quite well. It is hinged on one side and you squeeze the other side to open it. The locking side locks with two tabs that should hold it very secure without any issues of it accidently opening.

The only potential issue I can see is it is only going to fit over a one inch wide strap. So if your pack strap is larger and does not have any one inch webbing for attaching things the clip may not work for you. But you can remove the clip and use your own attaching hardware to the one inch loop that the clip attaches to on the case.

Well hopefully I can get some good pictures tonight that will show what I have tried to discribe above. It is perfect for my Gregory which has webbing on the pack straps.

SilverRubicon

Here are SilverRubicon's pics:

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

[This message was edited by Stunod on April 02, 2003 at 07:40 AM.]

[This message was edited by Stunod on April 02, 2003 at 07:42 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker7M:

looks like that clip was designed just for webbing on pack straps...

Wow.. Cool, since that was just about what I was looking for. All the cases I've found have belt loops, which don't work for pack straps.

I might have to get me one of those. $9 you say?

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

I might have to get me one of those. $9 you say?

Jamie

Actually it is only $8.00. But if you have been looking for one like this as long as I have, it is well worth it.

I have since attached it to my pack and it fits and looks great. The clip was perfect for attaching to my webbing and makes for a very secure attachment. I can't wait to try it out this coming weekend.

SilverRubicon

quote:
Originally posted by Leahi:

Sweet, is it waterproof?

Not waterproof as the closer is a zipper and is on the top of the case. But the case is made out of nylon so I would expect with a good waterproofing spray it could be very water repellent. Plus is you have a Meridian, it is waterproof anyway so not a real big concern.

SilverRubicon

The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that it has a zipper on the top...even with the recessed screen, there is a chance for scratchmarks on the screen everytime you take it out or put it back in the case. A flip-top Velcro opening would be less prone to cause screen scratches, and allow quicker access to the GPS.

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that it has a zipper on the top...even with the recessed screen, there is a chance for scratchmarks on the screen everytime you take it out or put it back in the case. A flip-top Velcro opening would be less prone to cause screen scratches, and allow quicker access to the GPS.

I agree. I have the "Ultimate GPS Case" and it has a nice velcro flip top. Very easy to open and close with one hand. The only thing I don't like about it is the belt loop...I would prefer a clip like this one has.

homer.gif

quote:
Originally posted by headmj:

I have been using the ultimate GPS case as well. It works fine with the way I attach it to a pack and I frequently use the belt loop when I am hiking without a pack. The d rings allow for a lot of different attachment possibilities.

How do you attach it to a pack? Do you run a strap thru the belt loop? How does it "ride" for you?

I don't mind wearing it on my belt...due to the stiff frame of the case, it rides close to the hip and doesn't flop around. I just feel uncomfortable undoing my belt in the parking lot of some forest preserves...

homer.gif

The Ultimate case looks and sounds nice. However, it looks a little to bulky for what I wanted. Since I wanted my GPSr on my pack strap, which will be on my chest, I wanted the smallest case that my Meridian would fit into. This Ultimate case just looks a little too much to be hanging off my chest while I hike.

SilverRubicon