Accidentally Found Non-released Cache

Pantalaimon

On September 29, 2002, me and my Geocaching-mates found a cache hidden very near a "leg" of the multi-cache we set up.

See, the idea of the multi-cache is that the finder moves the cache, making the cache increase in legs with each find.

Anyway, on the above date, while doing cache maintenance (which entails finding each new leg of the cache) I stumbled upon a small army container hidden near my cache. It had prizes, and explanation sheet, and a log book in it, but no contact advice. Not even the Geo-name of the person who hid it.

My question is this: How do I log my find?

It's been almost 2 months now, and the person who spent the time hiding this cache still hasn't registered it. There was no information in the cache leading to another leg, or that indicated it was the final stop in a multi-cache, and more importantly, there is still no other logs (but mine) in the logbook.

Does anyone think I should register this cache and explain the circumstances? My girlfriend argues that course of action, but I don't want to ruin anyone's cache.

I'm just afraid they hid it, and now they died in some freakish accident and will be unable to register the cache. (The cache is in Worcester, Massachusetts, in case the person who hid it is reading this.)

Advice please?

Cachito ergo sum.

I Geocache, therefore I am.

Pan

My initial response would be to give the moderators the co-ordinates, and see if any one has attempted to place a cache there.

It may be that the cache was placed, and logged, but for whatever reason was not authorised. The cacher might have decided (again, for whatever reason) to not pick up the cache...

1. They might try to get it authorised again icon_smile.gif

2. They might want to change the details before doing the above icon_smile.gif

3. They might be really lazy icon_mad.gif

4. They might have had a horrible accident icon_redface.gif

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

quote:
Originally posted by dave and jaime:

can you even be sure that this person is a user of this site?

Oh, well, then there's that! icon_redface.gif Didn't even occur to me, as I've never really investigated the alternatives. dave and jaime have a good point. But even if the box is part of another game/subset, it's odd it hasn't been visited, isn't it?

Charlie

"One should never begin a journey by heading in the wrong direction."

I'm pretty sure the person is a user of the site. I say that because the person who hid it put in a laminated copy of the Geocaching sheet that you're advised to hide with each cache.

Oh, and did I mention it says "GEOCACHING.COM" on the outside of the container.

I see no reason why this cache would not have been approved by TPTB, its on public land, near a neat-o monument.

And, although it was humorous, my girlfriend's name is not Lyra. icon_smile.gif

Cachito ergo sum.

Pan

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Perhaps they were using one of the other geocaching websites (they do exist) or perhaps it was a Letterbox (was there a stamp?).

_"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm_

The REAL BrianSnat would never post that message without reading the rest of the thread!

quote:
Originally posted by Pantalaimon:

I'm pretty sure the person is a user of the site. I say that because the person who hid it put in a laminated copy of the Geocaching sheet that you're advised to hide with each cache.

Oh, and did I mention it says "GEOCACHING.COM" on the outside of the container.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Who Are You, & What Did You Do With The *REAL* BrianSnat?

Duh. Hey, sometimes I don't read everything in the thread. Thank's for setting me straight Mopar!

Now here are my theories:

I placed the cache and was really drunk and forgot about it.

An illegal immigrant from Saudi Arabia placed the cache and was deported before he could post the coordinates.

Elvis placed the cache and is afraid to admit it because of the publicity storm that would follow.

Being serious for a moment, if its been two months and you haven't seen the cache on this site, or the others, go ahead and post it. I know of some people who wait a while after planting a cache before posting it, but 2 months is an awful lot.

It seems to me that something happened the the hider, or he just plain forgot about it.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

Good theories all. (Except for that Elvis one. That's ridiculous. Everyone knows Elvis hates visiting Massachusetts.)

First, I'm pretty sure it wasn't a letterbox, because there were no stamps, and the log book is overly tiny.

Second, I don't think it's a multi-cache or cache that you need to figure out coordinates for, because there is a name of the cache on the homemade magnets inside, and I've done a search for it and have come up empty.

I guess I'll continue to wait, and I will contact the Admin for some advice.

Cachito ergo sum.

Pan

quote:
Originally posted by LarsThorwald:

By the way, your girlfriend's name doesn't happen to be Lyra, does it? icon_wink.gif

I'm not Pantalaimon's girlfriend. I don't even live near him (I'm in VA, he's in MASS). Oh yeah, I'm also a guy. icon_eek.gif

Always wear proper caching safety equipment!

60748_1200.jpg

I was a bit confused by the reference, but now I see. He's my demon. I understand, now.

In one of the summaries that the Google search pulled up, I found this:

"Lyra has to complete a complex and challenging quest on which the survival of not just one but a multiplicity of worlds depends."

Kinda adds a little significance to my geocaching screen name, huh?

Always wear proper caching safety equipment!

60748_1200.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Pantalaimon:

The owner of this cache has been located and I've relinquished all claims in deference to them.

Pan

Cachito ergo sum. I Geocache, therefore I am.

was this cache placed with the intention of not posting it to a site, but to advertise its location in other caches?

SR and dboggny.

9372_2600.jpg