Search And Rescue (SAR) GeoCachers.....

Just being nosey - are you a member of EPCSAR? Team Squad51 used to leave EPCSAR stickers, etc in our caches until we ran out of them. One member of our team used to run independent fundraisers for EPCSAR, trying to help pay for the new comm vehicle...wonder if they ever got it??? We were promised the first ride! LOL icon_biggrin.gif

Just being nosey - are you a member of EPCSAR? Team Squad51 used to leave EPCSAR stickers, etc in our caches until we ran out of them. One member of our team used to run independent fundraisers for EPCSAR, trying to help pay for the new comm vehicle...wonder if they ever got it??? We were promised the first ride! LOL icon_biggrin.gif

I am a member of NJSAR, but I am also a new geocacher with a bad case of cache fever(57 caches in less than two months). I find myself doing all kinds of foolish things. Going after a cache alone with little more than a GPS and a cheat sheet in areas I don't know, climbing up and down steep ledges instead of using a trail to save time, running to find caches in the midst of a heat wave and generally throwing caution to the winds. I'd like to know if there have been many SAR incidents involving geocachers, or am I the only head case out there. I cringe at the idea of a geocacher and SAR person causing a scandal by his foolish obsession creating a major incident. At least as I exhaust the local caches, I am forced to plan more and do less adhoc caching, but I find myself in more areas I am unfamiliar with and this carries it's own hazards.

I remember that last fall one of our local geocachers and SAR volunteers, Skibum, introduced other SAR volunteers to geocaching while looking for a missing person. If I remember, the missing person was an outdoors-type with an interest in the internet, so they checked the cache logbook in the area he was thought to have frequented on the slight chance he might have written a note there.

He hadn't, and unfortunately the story did not have a happy ending. His body was eventually discovered; an apparent suicide.

Nah, i'm with Group 3 Search And Rescue (G3SAR), with the Civil Air Patrol. Have worked with the EPCSAR guys quite a bit, good bunch of people. In the process of getting a few more members of my team addicted to this game. We're currently plotting some SAR related caches, such as on the side of a cliff, or multi-day hike caches. Should be fun. [: )