Does it really matter if caches are in parks?

Guest DaveA

I am fairly new to geocaching. I am seeing some pretty clear trends with caching though. The biggest one is that they seem to have to be in a park of some sort or be in an area of natural beauty.

How many people could care less where the cache is as long as it is a clever hide? This is how I feel. I would have no problem if a cache was hidden in a back alley under a dumpster. I can see where I will get quickly bored with the "go to a park ,walk a trail, look under that fallen tree, take a prize from the cache that I put in it because otherwise I would have had to throw it away and sign my log book and say nice things about how beautiful the cache area was."

Don't get me wrong, parks are a natural cache location. I think caches should be in every park. It is the monotony of nothing but parks that seems like it will get old.

I think microcaches cleverly hidden in plain view of lots of people are a more interesting idea, what do you guys think?

Guest ClayJar

There are many different types of geocachers. For example, I'm one of the "the harder the hike, the better" outdoorsy types. I'm always looking for the strongest terrain, and if it makes me go home sore, I'm extremely pleased (it's really hard to make me sore hiking). I have never looked for any urban microcaches. I went right by two in one cache trip I made, but instead of stopping and logging two more finds, I drove another hour or so and set up camp (literally) at the next cache-holding park on my itenerary.

Now, then, I know several people who would love to have lots of urban microcaches to find, and who may only occasionally go for even a 2/2 hiking cache. Their preferences are the antithesis of mine, but that is the natural dichotomy of geocaching. There are people in the middle who will look for anything, but there are people with distinct preferences when it comes to hunting.

If the hike is less than a mile, I think I'll have to start doing it left-handed. "It's the only way I can be satisfied. If I use my right, it's over too quickly." (For all you barbarians [um, I mean, um, nevermind] who don't follow the quote, go out and buy The Princess Bride: Special Edition, released September 4, 2001, and pay special attention to Inigo Montoya on top of the Cliffs of Insanity. icon_wink.gif)

Guest ClayJar

There are many different types of geocachers. For example, I'm one of the "the harder the hike, the better" outdoorsy types. I'm always looking for the strongest terrain, and if it makes me go home sore, I'm extremely pleased (it's really hard to make me sore hiking). I have never looked for any urban microcaches. I went right by two in one cache trip I made, but instead of stopping and logging two more finds, I drove another hour or so and set up camp (literally) at the next cache-holding park on my itenerary.

Now, then, I know several people who would love to have lots of urban microcaches to find, and who may only occasionally go for even a 2/2 hiking cache. Their preferences are the antithesis of mine, but that is the natural dichotomy of geocaching. There are people in the middle who will look for anything, but there are people with distinct preferences when it comes to hunting.

If the hike is less than a mile, I think I'll have to start doing it left-handed. "It's the only way I can be satisfied. If I use my right, it's over too quickly." (For all you barbarians [um, I mean, um, nevermind] who don't follow the quote, go out and buy The Princess Bride: Special Edition, released September 4, 2001, and pay special attention to Inigo Montoya on top of the Cliffs of Insanity. icon_wink.gif)

Guest brokenwing

at this is just us. If you want to put a cache behind a dumpster, go ahead. Some people will come regardless of where it?s at. Just don?t expect us to stop by!

Good luck,

Brokenwing

Guest Markwell

While it's true that most cache are in nature parks, of course it is not necessary to be there. There are times when I've found an urban cache to be more of a challenge and sometimes more fun. You just have to look around to find the different styles of caches that you want.

Of the caches I've hidden or found, 3 were urban caches (including two microcaches), 1 was a virtual cache (I really didn't like it), 25 were "Trail and Tree" caches of various levels of difficulty and enjoyment, and 3 were "other."

Of the "others", two were placed by the same cacher, one in a war memorial park and the other on an island that you needed a rowboat to get to.

Predominently, the caches are trail and trees, but that doesn't mean that they all have to be just the plain old hike either: one was a level 5 difficulty multistage, and three had theme contents that really made the planning stage fun.

I guess what I'm trying to say in these ramblings is that, yes, caches are predominantly Trail and Trees, but good planning on the cache hider can make even T&T caches interesting.

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 03 September 2001).]

To each his own. I found one on Saturday that was not in a park, it was in the shrub under a strip mall sign. I parked within 3 feet of it and just reached out and picked it up, big fun there icon_wink.gif

I like a cache hunt where it takes time to reach your goal and you need to make decisions along the way. Sometimes I hunt for caches without using a map which makes the drive to the cache part of the hunt, that is a good way to spice up the easy ones, especially if you don't know the area. I also like caches in parks with lots of trails and none of them go in exactly the right direction so you have to keep choosing. The best cache to me is one with a long hike on twisting trails with lots of trail changes and they will only get you near the cache but you have to find your own way the last 500-1000 feet. 500 feet can be a very long ways in the right terrain!

Rusty...

------------------

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

To each his own. I found one on Saturday that was not in a park, it was in the shrub under a strip mall sign. I parked within 3 feet of it and just reached out and picked it up, big fun there icon_wink.gif

I like a cache hunt where it takes time to reach your goal and you need to make decisions along the way. Sometimes I hunt for caches without using a map which makes the drive to the cache part of the hunt, that is a good way to spice up the easy ones, especially if you don't know the area. I also like caches in parks with lots of trails and none of them go in exactly the right direction so you have to keep choosing. The best cache to me is one with a long hike on twisting trails with lots of trail changes and they will only get you near the cache but you have to find your own way the last 500-1000 feet. 500 feet can be a very long ways in the right terrain!

Rusty...

------------------

Guest Markwell

quote:
Originally posted by rusty:

I like a cache hunt where it takes time to reach your goal and you need to make decisions along the way. I also like caches in parks with lots of trails and none of them go in exactly the right direction so you have to keep choosing. The best cache to me is one with a long hike on twisting trails with lots of trail changes and they will only get you near the cache but you have to find your own way the last 500-1000 feet. 500 feet can be a very long ways in the right terrain!

When you decide to cache in the Chicago area, I have the PERFECT cache for you. Your description almost sounds like you've visited it already. The Saw Wee Kee Cache is the one that made me finally go out an buy a compass!

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

When you decide to cache in the Chicago area, I have the PERFECT cache for you. Your description almost sounds like you've visited it already. The Saw Wee Kee Cache is the one that made me finally go out an buy a compass!

Actually my daughters have been bugging me to go shopping in Chicago. We only live 150 miles away and have never been there. I think that sounds like a great cache to try if you only have time for one or two. It sure sounds better than walking from one clothing store to another icon_smile.gif

Rusty...

------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Actually my daughters have been bugging me to go shopping in Chicago. We only live 150 miles away and have never been there. I think that sounds like a great cache to try if you only have time for one or two. It sure sounds better than walking from one clothing store to another icon_smile.gif

Rusty...

------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Geoffrey:

Hi Rusty, That must be Geocache by CHARLTON

(Michigan) last found 9/1/2001 (By you)

This one is allmost too easy, being under a Mall sign:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3489

Drive right up to it, and reach out to grab the cache box.

BINGO! That's the one. I'm from the west side of the state and have never really explored the area over there except down the expressway, I was very impressed with the quality and quantity of parks in the area. "Tree Cemetary" is my favorite cache so far and there were several others that I really enjoyed. I couldn't believe someone would hide a cache under a sign with so many other great spots so nearby.

Rusty...

------------------