Magellan GPS 310

Mad-Mac

anyone else use this device? Not nearly as good a my old, but broken 315. The minutes only got to the second decimal ie. xx* xx.xx instead of xx* xx.xxx. Is this a big deal? what if I hide a cache and I can only give the coordinates to second decimal place? does anyone care?

I responded in your other thread.

quote:
Originally posted by Mad-Mac:

anyone else use this device? Not nearly as good a my old, but broken 315. The minutes only got to the second decimal ie. xx* xx.xx instead of xx* xx.xxx. Is this a big deal? what if I hide a cache and I can only give the coordinates to second decimal place? does anyone care?

Yes, it do matter. It isn't nearly accurate enough of a coordinate for successful geocaching. However, the 310 has an option to use UTM. It is very accurate. Set your 310 to UTM. Then do a UTM to Lat/Long conversion and post the Lat/Long coordinates. When searching for caches, just reverse the process.

The 310 is a good unit. I used it for my first 40 or 50 finds. Its major drawback for me was the inability to upload/download data to my PC. I upgraded to a Sportrac Pro and gave my 310 to my daughter.

Happy caching!

I say this because I used the 310 on my early hides. I received a few complaints about the co-ordinates being off a bit. But what you must realize is that everybody's gps is not the same. The readings are almost always going to be alittle different. For an example, I hid a cache under a very large stone on the side of a hill in a ravine. This cache was completely covered by the terrain. I waited for roughly ten minutes for the co-ords. to lock in, yet I was missing that last number. Still I recieved alot of hits on this cache. Most cachers found it to be hard, but had no problems with the co-ords. There were a few people that said my co-ords were off, but there were some that said they were right on. So I believe you can do one of two things here. You can either by something new, such as a Garmin product or you can continue to hide using the 310, but explain to people what gps you are using and that the co-ords may be slightly off. A good clue always helped me out. I bought a Garmin Etrex and it is so much easier to use. Yet there are still some people out there that think they are always right with the co-ords and you are off. Don't sweat it either way. Put them out there and someone will find them.