Ammo Box vs. Tupperware

I've recently found a source for ammo boxes where they cost less than quality Rubbermaid/Tupperware containers. Ammo boxes (.50 cal) are also a perfect size for a Geocache and have a much better seal than most plastic containers. My concern is long term durability of ammo boxes. I noticed rust on some of the boxes in my recent shipment. Of those of you who've found ammo boxe caches that have been outside for a while, what is your opinion of them? Do they seem to rust easily?

P.S. Don't tell me about "Gladware". I've found it doesn't seal well and fails after a short period.

I paint mine! When you get them, scratch them just a bit with sandpaper and put a good coat or two of paint on it. It should be fine for years outside. All the ones I have found have been in fine condition. I love amo cans for cache containers...they are much more durable and cost effective than anything else I have seen.

for all the ones ive found, that werent mine, had been painted. its a good idea to paint them even if they arent rusty so some non-geocacher doesnt stumble arcoss it and think there really is ammo or explosives or whatnot inside.

as for the few ammo cans ive used as caches, i always roughed them up and painted them, or if they were rusty i would sand them down prime and paint them. this may add to the cost, but at least you know they wont rust away in the near future.

as geocaching is only 2? years old im not sure anyone can say for sure how well even repainted ammo cans hold up after time.....

icon_smile.gif

for all the ones ive found, that werent mine, had been painted. its a good idea to paint them even if they arent rusty so some non-geocacher doesnt stumble arcoss it and think there really is ammo or explosives or whatnot inside.

as for the few ammo cans ive used as caches, i always roughed them up and painted them, or if they were rusty i would sand them down prime and paint them. this may add to the cost, but at least you know they wont rust away in the near future.

as geocaching is only 2? years old im not sure anyone can say for sure how well even repainted ammo cans hold up after time.....

icon_smile.gif

Brian,

In my experience, what you said about the cost, size, and seal of ammo boxes is completely true. Rubbermaid or any other plastic container will simply not hold up.

The only rubbermaid containers I've ever found that weren't wet inside were less than a week old. Every other rubbermaid container I've found had been damp inside, and in some cases, had standing water. To date, I've never found an ammo box that has even been damp inside.

As far as long-term durability, again, ammo boxes win easily. After a while, they may rust and look bad, but the seal should still hold. I've seen some pretty bad looking boxes sitting at the surplus store--rusty, banged up, etc, and when I opened them, I could still hear the seal pop.

A good coat of paint and an occasional touch up, and I'd bet an ammo box would last 20 years.

Jamie

Hey, painting ammo boxes are fine, I suppose, it all depends on how much care you want to put into it. My wife would do that, as she shows concern for any possible 'accident' that might happen.

Still, I don't bother to. One, it takes up time and slows down my placement. I might never get any done! They seem remarkably strong for the outdoors, at least for the purposes we put to them. I almost suspect they could be submerged and survive-- at least for awhile.

I don't bother with tupperware anymore unless I'm in some odd rush-- and they're cheap at the dollar stores. Each ammo box ranges from $6-8 in my neck o' the woods-- though I once found them for $3 down in Monterey. Alas-- I should've bought more there when I had the chance.

I order all mine from www.cheaperthandirt.com .

.30 & .50 cal. sizes are $3.99 pc. I just received another 8 from them this past week, making a total of 34 I've ordered from them & not a bad one in the bunch. Shipping from Texas to NY was $8.00. UPS. I've put out 24 caches so far, all ammo boxes, and no rust or inside moisture in any of them yet. My first 2 or 3 have been out there for over a year. First one has been logged over 45 times, and the seal is still solid. Not a drop inside.I do throw a coat of black rustoleum paint on the outside & label them as a geocache in large white stenciled letters with white rustoleum.

1774_600.jpg

Dudemac,

The best way I've found to test the seal is this: Listen very carefully when you open the ammo box for the first time in the surplus store. If there is a pressure difference, you'll hear the hiss as the air rushes from the high-pressure to the low-pressure. If you hear this hiss, the seal is good.

Of course, this is not a foolproof test, because if the pressures are the same, there will be no hiss whether the seal is good or not. You could take the ammo box outside where the temperature is different, and try it there.. although I'm not sure I'd go through the trouble.

In addition to listening for the hiss, I visually inspect the seal. For the most part, even a "pretty good, but not perfect" seal would be fine for caching, even if it weren't air tight.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I also got mine from Cheaperthandir.com for 3.99. Ordered 30. They do take up a bit of room in the basement. I've also heard that the military will no longer be making them available. Don't know how true this is, but if it is, Gcachers should stock up now!

Here is another source for Ammo cans:

$3.99 each

The 7.62mm can is the one you want.

(they are listed on page 4)

https://secure.armysurpluswarehouse.com/categoryDetail.cfm?catagory=Camp%20Items&start=16

Just found a perfect geocache container!! Try to find a USNavy smoke canister container (Mk 3 Mod D) at a surplus store (>$10). Made of aluminum, painted Navy Grey, with a waterproof lid (secured with four tension hinge fasteners). Approximately 8x8x8. Perfectly submersible (no problems noted during my field testing). I haven't placed a cache yet, but this will eventually be my first (after I camouflage it a little better to blend with its' surroundings).

quote:
Originally posted by Lazyboy & Mitey Mite:

I think clear plastic is the best and safest way to go. Less likely to have a bomb squad show up with clear plastic. Of course if you paint your ammo boxes so as to make them appear friendly, then maybe you won't get the bomb squad icon_wink.gif

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

I think I have read of 3 caches being blown up, 2 in plastic, 1 in an ammo can. It all depends on where it is hidden, not the container.

quote:
Originally posted by Lazyboy & Mitey Mite:

I think clear plastic is the best and safest way to go. Less likely to have a bomb squad show up with clear plastic. Of course if you paint your ammo boxes so as to make them appear friendly, then maybe you won't get the bomb squad icon_wink.gif

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

I think I have read of 3 caches being blown up, 2 in plastic, 1 in an ammo can. It all depends on where it is hidden, not the container.