Need help FAST

im going to buy a GPS tonight and i was just readding reviews about the Mageleen 315 about hard to learn and not waterprof but ive herard the exatced opposite from other people should i get a garmin etrx or the magellen i need to know SOON as in two-three hours thanks for your help in advance

Support Open Source

The 315 picks up the sats really fast. The old 300 and 310 are worthless as far as I'm concerned.

Batteries last all day so that isn't a problem. If I go out with low batteries I'll bring a spare pair and that is always enough.

I have buddies that use the etrex and they are happy also. I've heard that you get better sat reads under cover with the magellan but honestly I'm not sure because I think my buddies would lie about it if I got a read and they didn't. icon_biggrin.gif

I've been happy with mine but I've moved on to the Magellan Meridian Platium now. I still have the 315's and they still get used by my wife and friends.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

The 315 picks up the sats really fast. The old 300 and 310 are worthless as far as I'm concerned.

Batteries last all day so that isn't a problem. If I go out with low batteries I'll bring a spare pair and that is always enough.

I have buddies that use the etrex and they are happy also. I've heard that you get better sat reads under cover with the magellan but honestly I'm not sure because I think my buddies would lie about it if I got a read and they didn't. icon_biggrin.gif

I've been happy with mine but I've moved on to the Magellan Meridian Platium now. I still have the 315's and they still get used by my wife and friends.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

I started with a 315 and had no problems with it. I live at Lake Tahoe which is in the Sierra Nevada Mountains and have hiked with it in rain and snow. I have even dropped it on several occasions in the snow and it never failed me. I moved up to a map 330 because I wanted mapping capabilities.

Have not used a Magellan, but I am VERY happy with my Etrex. Inexpensive, easy to learn, and I have not had any trouble (knock knock) with getting reception in heavy tree cover. If you don't need any bells and whistles, this is the GPS unit for you. It has served us well. Let us know what you decide on.

one more question well two now that i think about it i have heard magelen's costomer service is GOD LIKE what about garmin's and how easy or hard was it to learn how to use the 315 on a scale from 1 to 10 with ten being imposoble and what accessorys should i get for both? thanks everyone for your help

Support Open Source

I have not used a Mag315 but I do own a Garmin Etrex. I really like it. On a scale of 1-10, I'd give it an 8 on easy to learn. There are going to be similiar things about gps that you are going to have to learn no matter what gpsr you purchase. The Etrex is easily used with one hand, small enough to be carried in your pocket or around your neck, just don't hang yourself on a tree limbicon_smile.gif I also have a handlebar mount for my atv and it works really well for that purpose. I still use it a lot, but I have moved up to a Garmin V because of mapping. I think it is a great choice for a first GPSr. I don't think you will go wrong with either unit. I just have more experience with the Etrex.

KYtrex

I have not used a Mag315 but I do own a Garmin Etrex. I really like it. On a scale of 1-10, I'd give it an 8 on easy to learn. There are going to be similiar things about gps that you are going to have to learn no matter what gpsr you purchase. The Etrex is easily used with one hand, small enough to be carried in your pocket or around your neck, just don't hang yourself on a tree limb:) I also have a handlebar mount for my atv and it works really well for that purpose. I still use it a lot, but I have moved up to a Garmin V because of mapping. I think it is a great choice for a first GPSr. I don't think you will go wrong with either unit. I just have more experience with the Etrex.

KYtrex

Used my etrex for over a year without too much of a glitch. The only two times I remember having terrible reception was one time in a box canyon and the other time under a dense canopy in a heavy rainstorm.

Buying the extrex? Buy the cable. But FWIW, I think you can get the Venture (next model up) for about the cost of the basic yellow + cost of cable, and the Venture comes with the cable and some other added features...

Can anyone else verify this?

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

I had a 315 for a while now (jun 8 will be its third birthday). I found it to be very reliable, I have droped and kicked it in snow, had it in rain (did'nt submerge it though), and droped anf thrown it countless times. I never had a bit of troble with it (nock on wood), which is more than I can say with my 330 and meridan gold (but I liked/like those too). If you decide to update to a meridian can use the same cable.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

If I were in the market for a new GPS I would be seriously considering the Magellan Sport Track Pro. I'm hearing nothing but fabulous news about it's accuracy and ability to work under tree cover on the sci.geo.satellite-nav usenet group. I love my Meridian Gold though. I hear you can never have enough GPS recievers though!

I have found 140 and placed over 22 and I only had trouble 1 time.The other day I was in down town Ft.Worth doing a Virt.cache and I kept losing sat. reception I walk to this one corner and bam! no reception I'd walk back to my car It would pick up walk back to the corner a samething.I finally gave up.The cache info.was wrong the poor cacher who pau out the cache was mess up by the city they added a bunch of stuff to the area and she had to fix her cache report.

I would follow my GPS to the gates of Hell if it pointed that way.

>I've been happy with mine but I've moved on to the Magellan Meridian Platium now.

I bought a Platinum last month and the thing has really amazed me. The basics were really easy to learn; I took the thing out of the box, put batteries in it and found a Geocache down the road from my house just like that.

I'm still learning the advanced features but am really impressed with the thought that went into designing the thing.

Wow im impressed with it i went and bought it i spent 174 for a bunch of extras with it so that was fun it was supper easy to learn i watched half of the video and played around with it alot and i can do everything i want to with it im going on my first hunt tommorow wish me luck thank you everyone for your help with chosing and making this a fun sport even just thinkingg about it thank you again

Support Open Source

yes im waiting because its DARK and in the woods i have had a few VERY BAD experences at dusk in the woods and i would not like to do it again plus i want this to be perfict and i have been packing all day my bag looks SWEET i have maps on cords and my compass atached to a zipper it looks kick a** so im oing tommorw ill post when i get back

Support Open Source