Different find tools for website

Guest dkirby7

Guest dkirby7

I know I'm proposing a lot of work for Jeremy, but I've seen it mentioned in a few other posts here too. It seems like it would be helpful to have more find tools than just zip, state, or country. I know you can do "other caches by user" after selecting a cache, but how about searches by: region, Lat/Long, user, attached photos, subject/body keyword, cache type (virtual, regular, multi, unknown, etc.), etc. Also would be nice to sort by something other than distance after a search, such as user or number of finds, etc. Anyone else have additional ideas? Is it a worthy effort? (Note: if Jeremy needs help with this, I'm sure there are users that would volunteer -- I myself wouldn't mind helping out with the back-end query engine. I do PERL scripting for a living but do the back-end DB stuff, not Web interface or front-end.)

Guest dkirby7

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

You mention a search by "region". What exactly defines a region?

I was thinking along the lines similar to the "regions" under Groundspeak discussions: Great Plains, Midwest, South, etc. Basically an easy multi-state search.

Guest Markwell

Some of that stuff is available, just not readily...

quote:
Originally posted by JeepCache:

Image Hosting, an "album" associated with each cache. Biggest problem here is storage space limitations, but allowing users to upload images (ASPUpload), and then processing each image (JPG) as necessary (ASPImage) is a viable option. Associate each image with a database or a raw text file to store image descriptions. This would most likely need to be a well-moderated feature.

You can upload 100K image files to the cache logs.

Many of the other things that you mention (time, terrain, necessary equipment, etc.) I find as an intriguing part of the research of the cache. Admittedly, I wouldn't want to drive 100 miles for a cache just to find it's underwater and I can't scuba - but I've always felt that those things should be in the description when necessary, which means it doesn't have to be on every cache.

I do wish I could do more searches on Terrain/Difficulty ranges, cache type (regular, multi, virtual) and a region in the format of "include caches between A latitude and B latitude and between X longitude and Y longitude." That would give you a good region - like a driveable range.

My 2¢

Guest EyezOfTheWorld

I'd just like to put in a vote here to be able to search by Difficulty/Terrain. 5's interest me the most. To have to look through each and every cache listing to find 'em is ridiculous.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

Guest EyezOfTheWorld

I'd just like to put in a vote here to be able to search by Difficulty/Terrain. 5's interest me the most. To have to look through each and every cache listing to find 'em is ridiculous.

Thanks icon_smile.gif