Sound like malarkey...

Team Canope

I was curious as to the most caches found so I did a bit of searching. The first cache hid was on May 3, 2000. Today is Oct 24, 2003. That is a total of 1,270 days.

I see there are some cachers with more than 2,000 finds. How can a person find more than one cache every day since the inception?

Is it true? More than likely to find 2,000 would require travel of a hundred thousand miles, exluding the hike.

Thomas

Team Canope / A Handicacher!

"The bubbling brook would lose its song if you removed the rocks"

Not true. There are not any given number in any area or state, it varies widely. For example, around Birmingham in a ten mile radius from downtown, there are close to forty caches. The same ten mile radius in a different area (say, Huntsville) will yield LOTS more due to that being a bigger technological area (NASA = lots more computer people). Distance isn't a constant for the number.

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

I've gone out with a friend before and hit 47 caches in one day. It doesn't take too many days like that to get those numbers up there. Thats in Michigan, California has lots more caches in a more "cache dense" area so its easier to hit more in a day.

MiGO

Caching with a clue....

I know personally five of the 1000+ club members. 2 of them have 2000+ and one of them has over 3000 finds. All I can say is that these folks are serious about their caching. It is not that they cache everyday, but when they go out on weekends they don't do 5 or 6 or 10. On the hunts I have been opn with them we have done anywhere from 24 to 48 per day. My best friend only has 354 but he did 238 in one 24-hour period. I have only been doing this for a little over 200 days, but I have over 850 finds. That doesn't mean I did 4 every day, I have had some big number days though, 71 in a day is my record. The other variable is cache density, although I hunt all over the country, I live near Nashville Tennessee, there are over 650 caches in a 40 mile radius from my home. Everything from 1/1 light pole caches to 5/1 devilish hides to 5/5 gotta have a boat and rapelling gear nightmares. What I will say for the 1000+ folks. They do them all, they don't just key in on easy stuff, they attack every cache they come across. The way they and I look at it, I want to get them all eventually so why put one off just because it is supposed to be hard.

A lot of those with many finds travel some (or a lot). It is pretty easy to log a bunch of caches at once if you are traveling around. My mother (Nevalcp) has commented how on several trips she took, she saw the little otter's name in every log book. In the process, my Mom logged a bunch of caches. If my Mom cached while traveling as much as the little otter, she would have thousands of finds too.

pika waving

quote:
Originally posted by Monkeybrad:

My best friend only has 354 but he did 238 in one 24-hour period.

238 in 24 hours. Please explain how it can be possible to find a cache every 6 minutes. My simple mind just can't buy that.

Team Canope / A Handicacher!

"The bubbling brook would lose its song if you removed the rocks"

You know, it seems like everytime I open my mouth recently I have to be negative, but... whatever.

Some of the numbers you see are pure fantasy. Yes, I'm calling some people liars. Oh, no, we have cheaters amongst us? Why, yes, we do. In fact, one "well known and respected" four digit cacher is a cheater. Claimed a find even when she made note she didn't find the cache! After I called her on it, I got an email from another person cluing me in on her antics. Found out she does it that a lot. BTW, instead of changing her log to a note or DNF, she deleted it. Hey, whatever floats your boat, but don't go cheating with my cache.

In short, some of the numbers are fantasy.

We, for instance, did a caching vacation to northeastern part of Florida and got 135 in 7 days, plus 13 DNFs. Pretty darn slow by some standards you see posted above, but they're real--you'll find our mark in every one of the logs and we both were there except for two that Sissy did alone because of a minor injure I didn't want to aggravate because of the longish hikes. We are laptop-guided to near the cache, so there was not much time wasted finding the spot to park. Even in the fairly cache dense Jacksonville we managed less than thirty in a day. I'm sure if we had been in a even more cache dense area, we could have done better, though, but some of these numbers are either typos or BS.

One of the best cachers in my state only averaged around 2 a day for the past year and he travels quite a bit!

In short, it can be done, but be suspect of some of the numbers you see.

CR

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

quote:
Originally posted by Monkeybrad:

My best friend only has 354 but he did 238 in one 24-hour period.

OK..I just looked up his buddy, http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.aspx?A=109297&u=43260621. He does have quite a few logged on Sept 14.

Logged online maybe, but the question would have to be did he visit--and log--238 caches in that 24 hour period?

Not likely.

CR

quote:
In fact, one "well known and respected" four digit cacher is a cheater. Claimed a find even when she made note she didn't find the cache! After I called her on it, I got an email from another person cluing me in on her antics. Found out she does it that a lot.

I think we were just talking about that person in chat the other night. mad.gif Anyway, whatever to them.

I don't know about other areas but know that out of those 47 caches that we did there were 8 of them that were virtuals where they could all be done within 20 minutes. It's quite a popular spot here in MI to help get those numbers up there.

Thats the other thing when we did those we planned it well and stayed away from the harder caches because we knew we wanted to get some numbers that day which I think ended up being a 15 hour day.

MiGO

Caching with a clue....

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

Logged online maybe, but the question would have to be did he visit--and log--238 caches in that 24 hour period?

Not likely.

I have trouble believing it. I would like to hear an explaination. His posts all include something along the lines of "Found on the Gorilla Freedom Finders 24 Hour World Record Run."

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand. - Homer Simpson

ChiTown Cachers * Keenpeople.com Stats

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

Not likely.

I have trouble believing it. I would like to hear an explaination. His posts all include something along the lines of "Found on the Gorilla Freedom Finders 24 Hour World Record Run."

Cache fast enough and Einsteins theory of relativity kicks in. icon_smile.gif

===========================================================

"The time has come" the Walrus said "to speak of many things; of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and Kings".

I'd imagine that if you're hunting 100 orange pill bottles (Dalmation series hidden by EssPea) around Nashville you could find the 20 way-finding micros (hidden by R0b) and add in a few of the less than 0.1 mi caches along Rte 24 and all where you only need to walk about 300 ft to get the next one and you'd have over 200 finds before you knew it.

--

http://healinghearts.freeservers.com/pandee.html

Quote:

Good job Sabaharr. That is the way I like to travel as well, but I never grabbed that many on a travel day.

To the others,

I guess it all depends on how long it takes you to find a 1/1 cache. Actually according to our records it was one cache every 4:42 seconds. Sounds like a lot but when you consider that there is one mall parking lot with 4 that you can retrieve in less than five minutes, your average time gets a big help. We also had five no finds that ate up at least ten minutes a piece. Sorry to get defensive but this took alot of planning and a marathon run to accomplish. Although FullCT lives in Nashville he tours almost constantly, so he had not hunted the Nashville area, so he had virgin territory that he knew really well. I was driving and i did not obey all of the posted traffic laws. I figured that as long as I did nothing dangerous we could afford the ticket. These caches were almost entirely urban, that means no hikes, just grab and go. I know the area well and took three evenings planning the route for maximum cache density. We printed stickers with our names and the date for logging purposes, we never split up. We carried food in the car and went to the bathroom at the cache site, if it was an absolute necessity.

I don't know what else to tell you. If you would like either come to Nashville and count signatures (little GFF stickers) yourselves, or ask a friend to do it. BTW when you count you will only find 207 stickers,since we did 31 virtuals as well. Like I said I was just navigating driving to the site and turning him loose. Did I mention I picked up 72 that night.

Sorry for the cut/ paste but we already answered all these questions in the Most Finds in a Day thread in the Southeast forums. Several of our local cachers had trouble believing it at first, but some of them went out there and counted and they have verified FullCt's accomplishment.

It's funny how when you work hard and do the seemingly impossible, it is very rare that you get any congratulations, mostly you just get called a cheater for doing what others have not been able to.

Anyone who wants to come to Nashville and beat the record let me know and I will get together here with you, show you the route we planned and give any advice you would like. I really believe that if you ran hard you could do over 300 in 24 hours.

To those who don't think it is possible, feel free to accuse us of cheating. It will help you rack up your post count while I am out racking up finds.

Sorry to post back to back, but I also wanted to mention that it took alot longer to get all the finds posted than it did to hunt. There were four of us together and it took over a week for everyone to log all the finds. Turns out that the paperwork was the worst part of the whole experience. BTW If you have never tried caching for 24 hours straight, I recommend it. It really makes you step back for a week or two and take it easy. Sorry if my tone is defensive in the above post, i just copy pasted from the original, and as you can imagine it is very frustrating to work hard on something, accomplish it and then have nearly everyone who finds out call you a liar and a cheat. There is a big discussionj of it on the southeast forums if you want more explanation.

I have to second that, amazing. Absolutely incredible.

So how many on this team? How many on site looking for one cache. Urban caches, did you care that you might been seen? Where any of your team aware of the exact location of the cache before hand? 4 days to do 24 hours of caching...

Still, it's amazing. Good job.

CR

I know CCCooperAgency did 114 in a long day of geocaching. That was verified by several witness who were along for the ride. I think one even acted as driver, waiting while she ran out and grabbed the cache. 114 is really something. 238 is absolutely incredible.

Not something I'd even want to do. I love to hike, but I don't think I'd have enjoyed the Bataan Death March. I also love to geocache, but 100, or 200+ caches in a day would be the geocaching equivilent of the Bataan Death March to me.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

That's one of the great things about geocaching. You can make what you want out of it. Some people like a good like hike. Some people like the challenge of a frustratingly well hidden micro. Some people like to do a marathon caching day. We're somewhere in the middle, liking a little of everything (okay, maybe a lot of everything). The variety is what keeps geocaching interesting to us.

--Marky

...Be nice to your fellow geocachers, they might be Hemlock...

two things:

1) to simply state "I did the unbelievable" will garner you "to hell you did" as a response. to state "here is something we planned and accomplished, I believe it is a record, here is some cool proof (like a picture of the stickers or the route map going by 250 different caches) is completely different and will garner you "congrats, that's some cool planning, wish I could do that in my area...maybe i will!"

2) Next post, Brian, and you become a legend in a different way...good or not... :cool:

--

http://healinghearts.freeservers.com/pandee.html

I was curious as to the most caches found so I did a bit of searching. The first cache hid was on May 3, 2000. Today is Oct 24, 2003. That is a total of 1,270 days. <BR>I see there are some cachers with more than 2,000 finds. How can a person find more than one cache every day since the inception? <BR><BR>Is it true? More than likely to find 2,000 would require travel of a hundred thousand miles, exluding the hike.<BR><BR>Thomas<BR><BR>Team Canope / A Handicacher!<BR><BR>"The bubbling brook would lose its song if you removed the rocks"

Ive logged just over 200 caches, and those are only the ones within 15 miles of my house. As New England cachers go, Im still a noob. There are quite a few with significantly more finds than I.

Our local champ named Waldenrun has logged close to 1600 finds and the man doesnt even own a GPS.

Ummmmm, really..... WHO CARES?

Many of my good friends are nearing 1K. I'm happy for them. In fact, my good geo-buddy Mustard Devil, should have attained that milestone this past weekend. At the rate I'm caching, I'll be there in about 2008, or so.

Last time I checked, Groundspeak wasn't handing out gold bars to the guy with the most finds. So what's the point of wasting valuable memory cells pondering this NON-issue. Sheesh!

Sn :P:) gans

We rung up over 20 one day in the Kansas City area. Like UMC's trek, there were several virtuals in there- several very near each other.<BR>We lived in Iowa at the time, and were happy to cache in a high cache density area.

Is that your new avatar? Looks like a new cacher in the family :) Cute>

Alan

The issue that the new folks don't grasp is that there are some real chronics in this hobby of ours. Some folks just have to go all out and try to beat the next guy. Thus, a newbie who just spent a wonderful, albeit occassionally frustrating, day slogging through some woods cannot grasp the chronics who set out or set out to find 100 film cans and virtuals scattered in a fw blocks of downtown.

"Oldtimers," try to remember when you were first starting out. Would you have even thought of spending all day chasing lamp-posts and Hide-a-keys on trash cans.

The bottom line: It's possible to do 100+ caches in a day however most of them will be crap and about as satisfying as your average walk to the 7-11 for Cheez Doodles and diet Sprite.

I would rather do one geocache with a great hike to an interesting location, than multiple drive bys.

This last weekend we had a total of 36 for 4 days and 17 (plus two 'bonus finds that don't count in the total) on Sunday. While some were 'drive bys' many required a certain amount of amount of great hiking in interesting locations. We simply focused our hunts in areas that were cache-rich.

It's possible to have both.

<SNIP> I guess it all depends on how long it takes you to find a 1/1 cache.  Sounds like a lot but when you consider that there is one mall parking lot with 4 that you can retrieve in less than five minutes, your average time gets a big help.  We also had five no finds that ate up at least ten minutes a piece.  Sorry to get defensive but this took alot of planning and a marathon run to accomplish.  These caches were almost entirely urban, that means no hikes, just grab and go.  I know the area well and took three evenings planning the route for maximum cache density. We carried food in the car and went to the bathroom at the cache site, if it was an absolute necessity. I don't know what else to tell you.  If you would like either come to Nashville and count signatures (little GFF stickers) yourselves, or ask a friend to do it. It's funny how when you work hard and do the seemingly impossible, it is very rare that you get any congratulations, mostly you just get called a cheater for doing what others have not been able to. Anyone who wants to come to Nashville and beat the record let me know and I will get together here with you, show you the route we planned and give any advice you would like.  I really believe that if you ran hard you could do over 300 in 24 hoursTo those who don't think it is possible, feel free to accuse us of cheating.  It will help you rack up your post count while I am out racking up finds.<SNIP>

Yes urban caching in Nashville is a unique experience. As 1/6 of The Cache Hungry Bastards I can vouch for MB's claims. We just finished a three day visit there; and anything you desire is possible there. :)

We navigated on the fly, with a laptop and Garmin 5 running in the passenger seat F/T plus several days of planning routes and reviewing the targeted caches to eliminate long hikes, puzzles, multis and ones not found recently.

We had planned on one LONG HARD day and two normal ones, but once we got running it turned into 3-15 hour days. We debated the merits of a 24 hour run, but decided the recovery time would eat up too much of the following day. We were out of the hotel by 9AM and out until after midnight. We did sit out one terrible rainstorm for an hour's lunch on Friday and had a sit down dinner on Sunday. The rest of the meals were snacks in the van and drivethru's. :D

I did see lots of GFF stickers too. We didn't use preprinted stickers, but signed the groups name and each individuals initials to the logs. One person signed for all to save time at each stop. Many of the logbooks are so small so it just saved paper too.

Oh I almost forgot to mention just under 300 finds. Like MB said-the paperwork and accounting is harder than the finding. :D

We had even planned on hitting the MTGC event on Saturday but didn't want to give up the time better spent on more finds. :D

All six of us alread had decent numbers; and just for this weekend it WAS all about the numbers. I have had other caching days when I only did 2-3 major hikes, but if I'm driving 8 hours I'm going for the numbers. :D

It's quite a popular spot here in MI to help get those numbers up there.

Grosse Ile?

Many virtuals there! I drove while jslagle hung out the window with a camera. Usually don't cache like that, but we both wanted to build some numbers that day, and targeted the area as one of the more cache dense areas close enough for us Northwest Ohio cachers to drive to. Iit seems like the island is pretty much nothing but historical markers every 50 feet!

It sounds like geocaching is going the way of about every other human activity.

There are the hobbyists who do it for occassional, self-fulfilling entertainment. They like the walk, or the hunt, or both.

There are the goal-oriented who aspire to reach cache #XX , to have one from every state, to have all the ones with "Orange" in the title (whatever), for their own personal sense of accomplishment.

There are the competitive who want to have more finds than others.

There are the record breaker cachers who want to have most finds in a day, most found while hopping on one foot, most found during a full moon...whatever.

There are the gadget cachers who derive as much enjoyment from the gear as they do from the activity.

Now take say, rock climbing, or skiing, or biking...you'll see the same divisions.

Hey, whatever is fun for each cacher, right?