Poll - how far from home do you Geocache?

I don't usually go more than 10-15 miles, but I once went 40 miles or so for one notorious multi. I work 35 miles from home and often cache after work, so I sort of have two separate "home zones".

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

I made a big decision a little while ago.

I don't remember what it was, which prob'ly goes to show

That many times a simple choice can prove to be essential

Even though it often might appear inconsequential. -- Bill Watterson

This poll would be more interesting with options of less than 100 miles, 100 to 200, 200 to 300, and more than 300.

I frequently travel more than 100 miles specifically because of geocaching. Lately I've been combining attendance at distant event caches with hunting the geocaches nearby the event, since it's virgin territory. Last weekend was 110 miles up to Erie's event cache. Some night really soon, I'll drive as far as I can into Ohio to drop off travel bugs. That'll be 150 to 200 miles. Etc. etc. The new cachemobile, purchased in January and used ONLY for geocaching and other outdoor activities, has 5,000 miles on it already.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

Most of my finds are now in the 75-150 mile range.

As the actual numbers become less and less important to me, the quality of the caches and the people I cache with becomes more so. I would much rather travel 50, 100, 150 miles to do a few great caches with great friends, then hit 10-15 nearby park and grab caches alone.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

We went to Yellowstone this past weekend and went the long way in order to get History at 9000 feet, a virtual! It was way out of our way, but it was well worth the drive. Our biggest worry was that the pass would be closed due to snow. We did over 800 miles last weekend, mainly for vacation, but we got caches along the way also.

-Jennifer

Age does not bring wisdom, but it does give perspective.

The farthest I've gone exclusively for geocaching is 188 miles for this cache.

I pretty much plan vacations and trips around geocaching, but 188 miles the farthest where the only purpose for going was to cache.

Including vacations, I've cached from Colorado to Ohio to Austin, TX (I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area). I recently drove from Texas to Ohio, rather than flying, specifically so I could cache along the way.

web-lingbutton.gif ntga_button.gif

quote:
Originally posted by 9Key:

I checked more than 100 miles since I do it pretty regularly.

Heck, I drove 3.5 hours to a cache event recently just to spend one night camping. What's wrong with me?!

http://www.texasgeocaching.com

It might not have been just a turkey in the oil at the next event if you hadn't shown up. icon_wink.gif

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

Typically, it's in the <20 mile range, but I have driven over 100 miles to an area west of Phoenix due to the variety of caches and the number of caches in the open desert. I've made 2 trips there, and 2 100+ mile trips to Payson for caching along the Rim. Well worth the drives on all occasions.

I do regret not joining the Strike Force that went for El Camino del Diablo a few months ago. That was down in the extreme southwest part of the state, and required some serious planning in advance in order to get permission to access the area(s).

Brian

Team A.I.

We just did a 1200 mile geocaching loop through the Panhandle of Texas and part of west Texas May 15 - May 19. We specifically went to do the caches in Palo Duro Canyon State Park (GC17D and GCECAB) and Caprock Canyons State Park (GC437B). Palo Duro Canyon is about 300 miles from our home near Dallas. 37 finds/3 no finds/1 new hidden cache/a fantastic trip with wonderful scenery...Priceless! icon_smile.gif

Alchemist2000

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

Pretty much everywhere around here is 100+ miles for me. The shortest distance was 25 mile (one-way) the longest, a 6000 mile round-trip, but that also coincided with a cabin-fever mid-life crisis beer-run... Generally, it's about 150 miles r/t, unless I'm traveling to somewhere distant for other reasons and can hit the odd cache.

"All of us are standing in the mud, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

quote:
Originally posted by 9Key:

I checked more than 100 miles since I do it pretty regularly.

Heck, I drove 3.5 hours to a cache event recently just to spend one night camping. What's wrong with me?!

http://www.texasgeocaching.com

But it was worth it to meet up with all of us down here, wasn't it?????

LOL, I do things like that all the time. I've made round trip 2-300 mile trips on a weekend all for caches, nothing else. The kids and I love it though, and it's well worth it.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

quote:
Originally posted by claypigeon58:

...You have to have made the trip explicitly to find a cache, so things like finding one while on vacation don't count.

What? Do you mean your vacations and business trips are not actually cleverly disguised geocaching trips?

Where are your priorities? icon_confused.gif

Worldtraveler

I've gone on *many* 1500-ish mile geocaching trips. I've gone on 2500+ mile geocaching trips. I've done a 4500+ mile geocaching trip (with a few museums thrown in for variety, but no extra distance). I suppose this makes me >100 miles?

Incidentally, this Christmas/New Years week I think I might make a Baton Rouge -> Key West -> Los Angeles -> Baton Rouge trip... That'll be a lot of Pocket Queries, about 100 driving hours, and probably $300-400 for gas alone... Ought to be fun. icon_biggrin.gif

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

What? Do you mean _your_ vacations and business trips are not actually cleverly disguised geocaching trips?

Where are your priorities? icon_confused.gif

Worldtraveler

Unfortunately my current priority is finding a job, as I was a victim of the telcom bust. But at least this sport is cheap and provides a welcome diversion from resume writing!! I was lucky enough to win a trip to San Diego last year, so I do have one long distance find. So I'm afraid my vacations and biz trips are on hold for now. Keeping the faith.

My over 100 miles was part of a planned birthday event for my father-in-law. First putt putt golfing at Desert Canyon with the intent to find a cache afterwards. Unfortunately I was skunked at one that was supposed to be easy and we had a tire blow out one tenth of a mile from the other cache. R&R the wheel and went home till next time.

Cheers!

TL

Well, I've hit a few boxes in my area so it's necessary to go further and further. I'll try to go on a binge trip at least once a month or so. This will be at least 100 mile drive or so. I'm off to the Columbia River Gorge again week from this coming weekend for hte free fishing weekend. We'll fish for shad, squawfish, and sturgeon, but will cache too.

I just started up about a week ago, so I've only hit caches close to home. Mostly just to get a feel for things.

Planning to get some of the farther ones in the next couple weeks. Don't want to exhaust all the close ones right away.

Signature? I don't need no stinkin signature!!!!