I need help in 14 different states!

El Diablo

I think I have the perfect spot for this in Texas.

I've been wanting to place a micro there anyway.

[edit] actually, I may not. I haven't placed one yet so am not that familiar with all the ins and outs, but I just realized it is very close to another cache and probably won't be approved. icon_frown.gif

I can help in Nebraska. Will you be putting the micro cache coords on your page, or can we use one of our own micros (or both)? Either way, I'll help. It's just that I'm planning a couple of micros rights now, so it would be really easy for me to use one of them for your cache too. I could place a separate one though.

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Originally posted by El Diablo:

I want to place a cache that requires finding a digit to the coords in 14 different states. The 14 volunteers will hide a micro containing a digit, and the local cacher here will have to find some one in that state to find it for them.

Anyone want to help?

I'd love to help. Southern California

Tell me what to do.

Webfoot frog.gif

5307_800.jpg

Yeah, sure....but did he use a GPSr to find it?

I can do the east Phoenix area in Arizona.

In fact, I have several planned now that I could accomodate your cache digit without any problems.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

quote:
Originally posted by Gwho:

I'd be willing to help in jersey. Ummm stupid question but have you run this idea by admin? hate to c u go to all this trouble only get a big fat ARCHIVED by erik or some other rules attentive person (no offense erik)

william

http://www.gpswnj.com/geocache.html

I don't see were there would be a problem...although I could be overlooking something.

These will be 14 micro caches maintained by the people that placed them. All the micros will be submitted for approval just like normal. These will be regular micros...I'm only using a portion of it to list a coordinate.

Any Admins out there see any problems with this?

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

http://www.geo-hikingstick.com

I don't see were there would be a problem...although I could be overlooking something.

These will be 14 micro caches maintained by the people that placed them. All the micros will be submitted for approval just like normal. These will be regular micros...I'm only using a portion of it to list a coordinate.

Any Admins out there see any problems with this?

El Diablo

I don't think there will a problem with that, as there is already something similar in Europe; http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d1d54eba-f725-4740-a0d4-4f99af4aaf26. I figure, since they approved that one, why would there be any trouble with this one. It's a great idea, it's always fun to work with other cachers.

I'll be happy to take care of the Wisconsin cache for you.

"I want to place a cache that requires finding a digit to the coords in 14 different states."

Ok, well I guess after reading that many times, you have to find all 14 micros to have a complete set of coords for the final. Is that correct?

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching without a clue....

I guess my big question would by why?

You are one of the cachers who recently "committed suicide" in the forums. You archived all your hidden caches except the one vacation cache you have placed that you cannot get to. Why would I want to help at this point if you might just archive this cache of yours at any moment?

quote:
Originally posted by mtn-man:

I guess my big question would by why?

You are one of the cachers who recently "committed suicide" in the forums. You archived all your hidden caches except the one vacation cache you have placed that you cannot get to. Why would I want to help at this point if you might just archive this cache of yours at any moment?

I don't believe I ever committed suicide in the fourms. I did archive all my caches besides the one you call the vacation cache. Just as a side note I can retrieve that cache within 15 mins.

I had a twofold reason for archiving my caches. The first reason was because they have been out there forever and the hits on them had almost died. I was already planning on archiving them to open up the area for new caches when the Hawk-eye thing arose. That just caused me to archive them faster than I had planned.

What will stop me from archiving this one? Not a thing. I will archive it when I feel that it has run it's course. After the majority of the local cachers have found it I see no reason for tying up an area for eternity.

The reason the "Vacation" cache is still in place is because it's a hydro cache with no others anywhere near it.

Now if you want to help...your welcomed to. If not...I certainly understand. No hard feelings. icon_smile.gif

El Diablo

I dunno if this is what you're thinking, but in my opinion, the person would need to get a number from each cache, and then email you with all 14 digits to get the coords for the cache. Anyway, I may or may not be able to help, but I'd love to be part of a bigger cache circle.

----

Extra batteries for GPS, don't leave home without 'em.

Been watching this thread and trying to understand what you are wanting to do ifs its to hide a cache that almost no one will have the opportunity to find ,then this would be the way to do it.

To me it looks like someone that just keeps pushing and pushing. The vacation cache thing has been beat to death on the forums. I have never been to most of the states that cachers are willing to help and place a cache in.

So again why would you want to place a cache like this, because it sounds cool to do, maybe , but again who’s going to hunt it.

When you archived your caches in protest, you where saying that if this site will not support what you want that you would take your toys and go somewhere else and play, well GO

And before you leave change your login name to crybaby………………TG

PS 9cacheseakers you are a sock puppet

quote:
Originally posted by Tennessee Geocacher:

Been watching this thread and trying to understand what you are wanting to do ifs its to hide a cache that almost no one will have the opportunity to find ,then this would be the way to do it.

To me it looks like someone that just keeps pushing and pushing. The vacation cache thing has been beat to death on the forums. I have never been to most of the states that cachers are willing to help and place a cache in.

So again why would you want to place a cache like this, because it sounds cool to do, maybe , but again who’s going to hunt it.

When you archived your caches in protest, you where saying that if this site will not support what you want that you would take your toys and go somewhere else and play, well GO

And before you leave change your login name to crybaby………………TG

PS 9cacheseakers you are a sock puppet

Obviously you don't grasp the concept. Let me try to simplify for you.

In order to find the main cache the local cacher will have to find another cacher in the state where a micro is hidden to find it and send them the digit enclosed. I don't expect cachers to running all over the United states looking for micros. Clear as mud?

As to your other comments...I don't feel they are worthy of a reply.

El Diablo

a.k.a crybaby

I don't know. It seems that the heart of the sport is finding caches yourself, not asking someone in another area to find it for you.

And what's in it for the out-of-staters? Do they get to log each micro on its own? Is each micro listed on its own page? It sounds awfully complicated. I'm all for developing the sport and making it more interesting -- pushing the envelope, even -- but there has to be a point.

Tell me more about how this will work and how it's worth the extra hassle (reviewing and approving 14 micros, out of state people keeping up with them, etc.)

52813_3100.gif

quote:
Originally posted by honeychile:

I don't know. It seems that the heart of the sport is finding caches yourself, not asking someone in another area to find it for you.

And what's in it for the out-of-staters? Do they get to log each micro on its own? Is each micro listed on its own page? It sounds awfully complicated. I'm all for developing the sport and making it more interesting -- pushing the envelope, even -- but there has to be a point.

Tell me more about how this will work and how it's worth the extra hassle (reviewing and approving 14 micros, out of state people keeping up with them, etc.)

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/52813_3100.gif

These will be 14 regular micros.They will be summitted for approval and logged just as any other micro. They will not be placed soley for this cache...I'm just hitching a ride you might say.

The entire concept behind it is Team Work. It will give cachers a chance to get to know other cachers around the United States. I personally think it would be cool to work one on one with cachers in 14 different states.

Honeychile..have you ever known me to place a simple cache? icon_biggrin.gif

El Diablo

quote:

The entire concept behind it is Team Work. It will give cachers a chance to get to know other cachers around the United States. I personally think it would be cool to work one on one with cachers in 14 different states.

I like that idea too, it gives others a chance to meet others that they would otherwise have never met. I'm fine with that.

The question is, does your local cacher have to contact someone for each of the 14 micros? I'm assuming the number 14 because thats the total digits in a Lat and Lon coord.

In other words if I lived in NC and wanted to locate the final cache, would I have to get the digit from each of the 14 to put them together to make the whole lat and lon coords? Or would it only be a matter of one micro to get the coords to the final? If its the latter then why 14?

migo_sig_logo.jpg

The part I don't like is that you would be relying on 14 different people to maintain their micros. To me that seems like you will need to coordinate and 'maintain' those 14 cachers.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

The question is, does your local cacher have to contact someone for each of the 14 micros? I'm assuming the number 14 because thats the total digits in a Lat and Lon coord.

In other words if I lived in NC and wanted to locate the final cache, would I have to get the digit from each of the 14 to put them together to make the whole lat and lon coords?

Yes.

The part I don't like is that you would be relying on 14 different people to maintain their micros. To me that seems like you will need to coordinate and 'maintain' those 14 cachers.

Hopefully all cachers that place caches maintain them. If a cache comes up missing I don't think it will be a problem to get it replaced.

This idea may have flaws...thanks for pointing them out. icon_smile.gif Thoughts like yours and others will help make it a fun cache.

El Diablo

El Diablo, I understand your idea and I like it. As a North Carolina cacher, I think that it would be fun to make contact with people in other states to get the info needed to find the final cache here in NC.

I would read the logs of the 14 micros and email finders of each to get the unique number contained in each micro.

I would suggest that you instruct (via the page for each micro through its owner) each finder to only give the number to one person. That will make it harder for NC local cachers to get all of the numbers needed to find the final cache in NC.

I look forward to this and hope it is approved.

If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose.

--Jack Handy

Sounds like a neat way to get some new caches in other areas as well as provide a challenge for the locals.

The micros would be there for everyone to enjoy. If someone wants to reach out to others and get the clues to find this one all the better.

If you really wanted to make it a challenge for someone with lots of frequent flier miles you could offer a prize for the person who is able to physically log each of the 14 caches.

If you want an Alaksa cache for your project I can set one up for you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

El Diablo,

I considered doing something like this some time ago. You may remember the Civil War cache (?), with clues hidden in different Civil War cities. Well, it never got off the ground, though I still have all of the docs.

One thing I considered was the use of existing caches. I'd leave a clue (or in your case a single digit) on the back of an existing logbook (with the owners permission, of course). Perhaps a sticker with a "Congratulations" and an explanation of the bonus cache. Another idea that I never got around to.

I considered calling it a 'hitchhiker', but in the end the best description was 'parasite' and that just wasn't very appealing to me.

Anyway, just a thought. But count me in what ever you decide.

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

El Diablo,

I considered doing something like this some time ago. You may remember the Civil War cache (?), with clues hidden in different Civil War cities. Well, it never got off the ground, though I still have all of the docs.

One thing I considered was the use of existing caches. I'd leave a clue (or in your case a single digit) on the back of an existing logbook (with the owners permission, of course). Perhaps a sticker with a "Congratulations" and an explanation of the bonus cache. Another idea that I never got around to.

I considered calling it a 'hitchhiker', but in the end the best description was 'parasite' and that just wasn't very appealing to me.

Anyway, just a thought. But count me in what ever you decide.

I do remember the Civil War idea. I also still have the docs. Maybe it can be brought up again.

El Diablo

I like the community idea of this. People in various states get to interact and all log caches in the process. With that said, I can see how it could become a pain for you El Diablo! Consider that anytime a micro goes missing that you have to rely on the placer of it to fix it soon! I say pick people who assure you they will maintain the micros!

On another note, I volunteered, but I suppose the more rural any given micro area, the increase in difficulty. In Nebraska, we have less active cachers, so up goes the difficulty if you ask me to take part (although Lincoln is not all that rural)! Anyway, I am happy to help, but wanted you to know that if you pick me, your difficulty goes up!

pokeanim3.gif

[This message was edited by carleenp on August 24, 2003 at 06:14 PM.]

This is SC calling, I'll run one for you here, but have a question, what sort of terrain/ difficulty do you want? I have a 3/4 I'm considering as my first cache, I could make it a part of that (2 hours round trip in the woods, but well worth it for the view) is this what you are looking for, or do you want it nice and easy?

just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you

I like it too. One issue I haven't seen brought up, though, is that the first finder of each micro could get inundated with requests for their number. Maybe you should set some restriction, like each micro finder can only share with X people. Finders will have to tell you who they go ttheir numbers from. On the other hand, that might be too many requirements.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams