Geocache vacation

Guest Geogoat

Guest Krepism

I think its a great Idea, there is a small discussion of it in the organized Geocaching forum. As discussed there is a large possibliy for some thing like this. I think that it would be more of a promotion at first, to help draw in the family aspect of it. I have always wanted to take a driving vacation, but never new any good places to go. I am not really in to the tourist locations, but I would be interested in spots that fellow geocachers recomended. Like camping spots, restaurants, hotels or senic by-ways.

Guest tamster

That's where a little imagination and style come into play when making a stash. Locations of caches, in my humble opinion, should be in or near interesting locales. Nearby points of interest, restuarants, accommadations, tourist attractions, swimming holes, ect., noted in the log book would be cool.

Guest sar6cm

Great Idea. On our local excursions as far as Reno and Bend, we have taken in a few caches. It is impressive to the relatives. Thanks Geogoat man.

Guest Monz

I am going to Malta in September for my holls and I am going to plant a couple of caches whilst I'm there... I will only be able to check them once a year though so if anyone goes in search they will have to do some housekeeping for me.

Does anyone think this is a good/bad idea?

BTW. We holiday in Malta every year (just love the place/people)

Guest cache_ninja

i mentioned this before...

it would be cool if someday we could organize like, a geocaching "vacation trail" across the country..you know, something informal, when there are enough people...my idea was basically that we'd designate certain places where everyone was staying, preferably campgrounds,spaced out across the country, and near caches... everyone got like, i dunno, a sticker to put on their car..and people from all over traveled in any direction on the trail for any number of days, staying however many days they want, finding nearby caches, and meeting fellow cache-seekers/hiders on the way to caches and in the campgrounds at night... would be kinda neat..and not necessarily hard to organize, but we'd need a good number of people of going for it to be fun...

c/n

Guest bunkerdave

I have owned subaru vehicle for about 5 years, and for those of you who may not know, Subaru has a bit of a "cult" following in its owners. I have been to a couple of the gatherings, just to see what they were about, and it is amazing the camaraderie that exists between people with nothing in common other than their choice of vehicle. Clearly, we have much more in common than that, in that we enjoy the same type of leisure activities. I think we could do these types of gatherings on a local, state, regional, and even a national basis. At least we wouldn't have to worry about DIRECTIONS! I would love to go somewhere knowing only that when I got there, there would be a hundred or so other 'cachers sitting around talking and caching and checking out everyone's gear and sharing ideas. What a blast. What a source of strength for the sport.

[This message has been edited by bunkerdave (edited 23 May 2001).]

Guest Markwell

d parallel would be rollercoaster enthusiasts. If I wanted to travel and see the nation's rollercoasters on vacation, I would want to choose my own, with possibly some guidance from a rating system (which Geocachers discussed at length in another forum). I would enjoy finding the less attended, but still exciting coasters.

I believe one can plan their own Geo-vacations with the data we have on the website. That's that way I'd like to travel. Maybe there is a calling for this type of planned activity, though.

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 23 May 2001).]

Guest MadGPS

Yupp!!

instead off Bikeweek in Florida,it would be GPSweek in Florida.I'll go for that,anything to get away from the snow & cold in Febuary!!

MadGPS icon_biggrin.gif

Guest MadGPS

Yupp!!

instead off Bikeweek in Florida,it would be GPSweek in Florida.I'll go for that,anything to get away from the snow & cold in Febuary!!

MadGPS icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Alex

Monz, good idea though some will not agree. But consider there may be a local who would love to play our game if only there was a cache to find. And of course if you are one tourist with a GPS there will be others. Just do it!

Guest Lazyboy

I sure had fun grabbing some caches while on Maui. In gratitude I planted two caches there. I think leaving something behind for the locals is a fun thing to do.