I don't think Deer like me...

jollybgood

Off topic but Natureboy1376 you also just might consider that the population of deer is

so high due to the extra feed provided by the gardens, lawns and shrubs planted by landowners and the lack of predators and low hunting pressure by man.

In most any given year, I would be willing to bet that more deer die from natural causes due to disease from over population then car accidents and as for man pushing them out of their habitat, deer having been following natural migration routes long before man installed roads in the area.

I see by your profile you seem to be involved in several outdoor activities.

How many of those activities do you think disturb animals?

When your paddling your little boat around, just think how many fish you are scaring, how many birds you move out of their feeding pattern?

In your traveling the world, I suspect you take a jet once and a while. How many birds have you sucked into an engine?

In selling your computer items, how many of those parts are made from materials that have disturbed/killed some critters?

That’s enough for now.

I am sure others have ideas and are not posting because it is OFF TOPIC!! icon_eek.gif

I agree with all of what you are saying, logscaler!

I was just making a post, as to one of the main reasons for seeing so many deer on the roads now..

I even see the effects, I come from an urban area where as a kid my dad would take me to some great spots to hike or hunt, that would be perfect for caching they were beautiful places, before huge chain dept. stores came in and built on them, just to sell lots of un nessacary junk that the competion dept store sells 1/4 mile away and can't see what is happening to our mother earth...I wasn't directing the first post towards anyone....it was general...I even try to do everything possible to to make things of myne last in this diposable world...I refill one water bottle instead of buying 4 aday. I see people litter, i pick it up and give it back to them......

See you in the woods!

Natureboy1376

Natureboy, have you noticed that you are one of those people as well? Just by existing you are consuming resources and land that could be used by animals. Let's see how... wood house, a car, leather shoes, electricity (from fossil fuel or hydro) the food you eat comes from agriculture ie: land, and the list goes on. I agree that we should use resources wisely but your statements were way offbase.

Ok, be forewarned...I am a hunter. If you are offended by hunting, want to argue with me about the ethics of hunting, or just plain don't support hunting...stop here! Ignore my post, because I am not going to argue back!!

We are hitting deer for two reasons.

1. We are encroaching on thier range. Obviously our cities/population are growing, so we will continue to expand into thier range. As a result, deer will initially move, but eventually adapt to our environment. There are many communities here in Texas where deer are more populous than squirrels..they dig in trash cans, tear up lawns, etc.

2. The anti-hunters give hunting a bad name. The wildlife departments in states keep tag limits down. The municipalities bend to pressure from animal rights groups and prevent harvesting of more animals...

So, we all hit them with our cars instead. And they overpopulate and die from Chronic Wasting Disease. Brilliant plan. A freaking brilliant liberal plan.

...and I'm back quiet...

...sorry, I get fired up about this issue....

ChuckyBrown

I didn't make my first post to P&*% everyone off and start a Geomessage board war..I was just stating that humans are over taking alot of the earth "where other creatures make there dwelling" due to a very fast population growth..Yes I am a human too but do my dammest to be earthwise..

Here this bumper sticker quote says it all!

"Mommy, what were trees like?"

See you in the woods!

Natureboy1376

WAY off topic...

logscaler wrote:

quote:
Just ask any of those tree hugging bunny lovers why Western Juniper is not considered Old Growth even if the trees are over 400 years old and there are tens of thousands of acres of it.

OK logscaler, I'll bite. You've got me very curious about this and I can't find Trey Arrow's phone number anywhere. So why is this? Does it have to do with the fact that there's not much commercial demand for Western Juniper?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I loved a bunny once but she broke my heart.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the book

WISCONSIN CURIOSITIES

By Michael Feldman

"Anna Mae Bauer has had seventeen collisions with deer on the road. 'It's not as if I'm out to set a record or anything,' says Anna Mae, who probably has set a record."

_________

icon_eek.gifBeat that!

[Tongue in cheek]

tb

[This message was edited by Trudy & The Beast on January 05, 2003 at 06:48 AM.]

I see two threads here.. I have already commented on topic.

Off topic: ZPG

I am convinced that this is a really lousy arguement for several reasons. The greatest of these is that it is a no win arguement.

For those who hold that humans are reproducing too rapidly, I ask what you might propose as an alternative?

If there is a viable alternative, who would subscribe to it? Perhaps it would only be our enlightened, our intelectuals. Smart and educated people. Who would be reproducing then? And, don't we currently protect their right to reproduce?

Another facet: The earth's population is 6 billion and doubling every thirty years. If you would propose that we as humans need to change that, then why arn't you selling your message in China [pop. 1.5 billion] or India [pop. 1 billion] where this change might be needed the most? Or are you sticking your nose in where it doesn't belong: other peoples' reproductive habits?

I am not claiming any high ground here, Just asking what our choices are.

BTW. I realize that there are many, many educated, smart, enlightened people in both China and India. I had no intention of infering otherwise.

tb