I don't think Deer like me...

jollybgood

I logged 16 caches over the weekend. During my hunts I had nearly a half dozen near misses with deer who seemed intent on throwing themselves in front of my van as I traveled up and down rural back roads in Indiana.

Well, one finally got me. Today I had just finished finding the Lilly Tomlin as Edith Ann cache when WHAM!!! A deer took out the right front side of my van. The state trooper who came out to do the crash report is of the opinion the deer did 2,500 dollars in damage. Ouch!!!

Anyone else out there with deer stories and caching?

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

hey I've heard stranger things...maybe this is what would be called Acute Wasting Disease...vs Chronic

I had a suicidal dog awhile back... she would just go lie down and go to sleep in the middle of the street every once in awhile throughout her life. I swear though when I had a child and that bouncing bundle of boy became mobile it was just too much for her and she jumped in front of that car.

I have hit deer or been hit by deer 5 times, each and every time has been when I was driving a red vehicle. I have not been hit by any deer in any other color vehicle that I have owned. I refuse to buy any more red vehicles.

Mike

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality."

Jules de Gaultier

A long, long time ago, I lived up this country road outside of Chico, Calif, and every day when I was driving home, there would be these dogs that hung out on the road I was driving. As I was coming up on them, one would jump out into the road, and then as I slammed on my brakes, they would casually jump back, as if they planned it all along. I swear I could see the other dogs cracking up, thinking it was the funniest thing to make the stupid human have to slam on his brakes.

Then again, I worked the graveyard shift, and I could have been halucinating...

--Marky

"Everyone spends time in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
I have hit deer or been hit by deer 5 times, each and every time has been when I was driving a red vehicle. I have not been hit by any deer in any other color vehicle that I have owned. I refuse to buy any more red vehicles.

Deer are color blind. That's why it's okay to wear blaze orange when you hunt.

Where the deer bucks? Because as most people know the rut is during the fall and this is when most deer get hit because the bucks are chasing the does right onto the roads and the buck aren't even thinking about cars, they have other things on their mind so that's probably why you seen so many running around the roads.

I read in an article the deer whistle doesn't work because the deer cannot hear it. But what do I know I'm from NYC.

It's true about the rutting season. The bucks are running all over the place chasing the girls.

Here's some samples of accidents:

Connecticut 3,098 (2000)

New York 8,570

New Jersey 20,100

Illinois 22,933

Ohio 31,586

Wisconsin 45,278 (for year ended June 2002)

Georgia 51,000

Michigan 66,993

Michigan deer must be hornier than in other states icon_wink.gif

Alan

Seriously - having such car damage - and the poor deer! How unfortunate, and tragic for the animal!

There are 2-3 families of deer who follow a trail right near our house. Every morning and evening, we are driving at 10MPH along roads meant for 30MPH simply because we never know when a deer will run out ahead of us.

Jolly: Here is a question for you - deer will be 'up and about' at certain times of the day - not by our watches - but by the solar calendar - so they will be up and about at different times of OUR day as the days wax and wane across summer and winter. Are you driving these roads at roughly the same clock-time, and now it just happens to intersect with the DAY-time that the deer are active?

Although the 'rutting season' comment from others is about 100 times more insightful than mine...

quote:
Originally posted by magellan315:

You may want to consider getting a deer whistle. Its a small plastic whistle that you mount to the front of your cat that makes a high frequency noise that only deer hear. Check your with auto insurance company or auto parts store.

Do you then mount the cat on the hood of your car? Does the cat howl at being mounted with a whitsle and thus scare the deer? I don't think the cat will like this very much! icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right, But Three Lefts Do.

how about hitting a deer right in front of the "deer crossing" sign? Took out the headlight and grill and ran away.

Or how about my friend. Some lady hit a deer right in front of his driveway. She was upset that the deer was dead so my friend offered to help her until it could be moved out of the road. He poked the deer with his foot, the thing stood right up, looked him straight in the eye nose to nose with such a look, and took off.

Or my other friend who picked up a dead deer someone had freshly hit, threw it in the back of his pick-up with the cap on top drove down the road, the deer came to and kicked the livin' daylights out of everything he owned in the truck. Bye bye fishing gear!

The moral of this story is deer don't die, they just look that way.

Cache you later,

Planet

Deer also tend to move around more during dawn and sunset hours. Here's some other suggestions to avoid accidents.

• Be particularly cautious during the mating season, which peaks in mid-November.

• Slow down if you see deer by the side of the road.

• If one deer crosses the highway, a second and third may be right behind.

• Do not swerve to try to avoid a deer; keep your car headed straight even if it means hitting the deer.

• Report the accident to the highway patrol or local sheriff's department.

• Don't try to move the deer carcass off the road; leave that job to the professionals.

• Eat the deer.

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

• If one deer crosses the highway, a second and third may be right behind.

So true!

• Eat the deer.

Only if the bladder doesn't burst in the accident!

Cache you later,

Planet

...in damage to my little Honda.

First there was just the road and the evening commute through tiny little Stormstown. Then TWO deer sprouted up from the road and WHAM!

Deer attack.

I generally feel quite miserable for road kill but strangely, in this instance, I could find little sympathy for the deer.

We were geocaching in an urban area (Austin) a month or so ago, and driving pretty slowly in a neighborhood, when a dog started chasing the car. As Jim turned the corner, the dog ran into the car! I think it hit the wheel... he was one lucky dog, though.. got up and ran off. Did it teach him a lesson? Not likely... he probably chased the next one that came down that street! icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:

You may want to consider getting a deer whistle. Its a small plastic whistle that you mount to the front of your cat that makes a high frequency noise that only deer hear. Check your with auto insurance company or auto parts store.

I knew a guy that put some of them on his pick-up. But he got them on backwards. Every time he drove down the road dozens of deer chased that truck down the road.

I would just ask the authorities to move the deer crossing signs. Tell them it is just too dangerous to allow the deer to cross there anymore.... make them find another place.

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

That is a very disturbing photo.

Cache you later,

Planet

Nope not mine, saw it posted on another forum I visit. Hehe funny though... but no I would never own a vehicle that says "Not intended for offroad use" in the owners manual.

This Isn't rocket science...

587_1100.jpg

Originally posted by Nikonman:

I think you may be on to something...i noticed that the Durango in the above pictures was red...

The empty can rattles the most...

I was coming back from a ski trip last year, when a pickup (brown in color) coming the other way hit a doe crossing the road. I watched in my rearview and the other truck didn't even touch it's brakes, but just drove on. I flipped a u turn and drove back to see the deer with badly mangled legs, and obviously in a lot of pain. Luckily I had a pistol with me and was able to put her out of her misery. We were in the middle of nowhere, and it would have taken a long time to contact authorities. I am a hunter, but I can't stand to see something suffer like that. I really couldn't believe the other driver didn't even slow down.

quote:
Originally posted by niskibum:

I was coming back from a ski trip last year, when a pickup (brown in color) coming the other way hit a doe crossing the road. I watched in my rearview and the other truck didn't even touch it's brakes, but just drove on. I flipped a u turn and drove back to see the deer with badly mangled legs, and obviously in a lot of pain. Luckily I had a pistol with me and was able to put her out of her misery. We were in the middle of nowhere, and it would have taken a long time to contact authorities. I am a hunter, but I can't stand to see something suffer like that. I really couldn't believe the other driver didn't even slow down.

My sisters lives in Kennassaw, GA, and her son was on his way to school one morning when... WHAM! A dear came across the street, he hit it, and the dear ran into the bushes just off the side of the road.

Here is were the problem begins...

A local police officer shows up, a school bus (loaded with kids 7-12 years old), and my sister with her two other small children.

Without warning the officer pulled out his pistol, and shot the dear with at least 30 children watching! (UNREAL!) icon_eek.gif

The class-action lawsuit settled out of court within 2 weeks, and each child (37 kids) that was involved, or at the scene was award $7500.00 each, and counciling if needed.

WEIRD story, so I had to share that with you!

Team Shuey

Riverview, Florida

Shuey's Web Site

Buy CamelBaks

CLICK HERE

quote:
Originally posted by Team Shuey:

The class-action lawsuit settled out of court within 2 weeks, and each child (37 kids) that was involved, or at the scene was award $7500.00 each, and counciling if needed.

Yet most of the parents have probably allowed their children to watch numerous murders on TV or in a movie.

The officer sure didn't do a very bright thing, but lawsuit? C'mon. Greed, greed greed.

Jamie

quote:

I dont let my cat in my car. How would you mount that? between the ears with 2 sided tape?

just kidding, they sell those at Wal-Mart

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

deer don't die, they just look that way.

So true, my first and only deer hitting experience: i hit the deer, it looked like it was about to die, i couldnt just let it suffer, but i had nothing to kill it with. so, i used a jack, a tire iron and a dull knife to try and end the suffering. well, after 3 minutes of beating, the darn thing got up and tried to run, it was dark, however, and the deer was probably blind from the beating. It ran to the woods, hit a tree, ran back to the road, and into the path of a gravel truck.

Yes, i know what you are all thinking. Dead?? well you are wrong, it was still alive. luckilly, a hunter passed and shot it and took it. (I still wonder if it was alive after that)

Well, thats my deer experience

Watch out they are everywhere, and they are watching you. They arent really color blind either, they just want you to believe that.

I was driving to this cache and a deer tried to kill himself on my front bumper. I didn't hit hip but still managed to put my truck into a ditch. I didn't have a camera (sadly) but it's a white 93 Ford Ranger supercab, with ONLY 171,000 miles on it! 4.0 V6 5-speed, 2wd, and the left-rear tire was two feet in the air. A local pulled me out with his pickup, and saved the day. I slid in there around 30 mph and came out with NO dammage save a slightly bent bumper. I love Ford trucks. anyways I got the cache, and I'm still here to tell the tale. If you want some pics of my brother's wreck today, e mail me. He's got a 77 Cutlas Supreme and it was COMPLETELY in a ditch.

Joe

I seek the Holy Grail!

I've threatened to double-stick-tape one of those "cat whistles" to my husband's head. Doesn't matter what color his truck is, what time of day it is... When I first met him, he had installed enough extra chrome to the front of his truck to protect it from deer-bashing that I refused to date him. His truck looked like some wanna-be monster rig.

The last deer in the long series of crashes came at him from the passenger side of his truck, across a (wide!) meadow, constantly adjusting its trajectory to match his ever-decreasing speed. He watched in astonishment as the deer veered towards him. As he came to a complete stop in the middle of the paved road, it launched itself into his passenger door, conveniently missing all the chrome protection he'd loaded onto the front end, doing over $1K of damage and yes, killing itself.

He's always wished he could get human girls to want him that badly...

Have you ever stood on the side of a street with guys hanging out the side of a pickup driving by at 55 miles an hour yelling something that you're quite glad not be to able to hear?

OK, so most of you probably never had nor will experience it, but I believe it's the same thing for the deer. How in the world do you expect that a deer can hear a whistle moving at 55 miles an hour in a straight line?

As for the red car thing, my red car was hit by a drunk, an old lady and an foreigner all within a month's time. So I guess a deer has equivalent senses of a old drunk illegal alien?

Geocaching Carolinas

For what's it worth, the State Trooper who wrote up my crash report told me that that the Indiana State Police installed the devices on all their cars last year and there was a significant drop in the number of deer collisions their patrol cars were involved in. (He mentioned the percentage and but I can't recall what it was -- 20% I think.) I seem to recall seeing an article about the Ohio State Police claiming similar results.

On the other hand he told me he had hit a deer just a week prior.

To me it seems to be a lottery. If you happen to be at a certain spot on the highway when a deer decides to blindly leap across your lane chances are you're going to nail him.

Last summer I was sitting in my front yard when a guy on a roaring Harley came rumbling down the road and hit a deer which suddenly leapt out of the corn field to the side of the road. Thankfully the biker was only going about 35 mph. He took a nasty spill but walked away unharmed (other than a bent front wheel). The deer kept going.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

quote:
Originally posted by argent2:

quote:

I dont let my cat in my car. How would you mount that? between the ears with 2 sided tape?

just kidding, they sell those at Wal-Mart

They sell bumper-mount cat-whistles at Wal-Mart?

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

You can hear a very short audio clip of me hitting a deer in http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cachelog_details.asp?start=&L=569128&ID=112994&decrypt=.

Jamie

I am sorry for the deer and the damage it may have done to your car, but your sound byte is hilarious!!! It belongs on America's Funniest Home Audios.

Dave

Me ambivalent? Well..... yes and no.

quote:

My sisters lives in Kennassaw, GA, and her son was on his way to school one morning when... WHAM! A dear came across the street, he hit it, and the dear ran into the bushes just off the side of the road.

Here is were the problem begins...

A local police officer shows up, a school bus (loaded with kids 7-12 years old), and my sister with her two other small children.

Without warning the officer pulled out his pistol, and shot the dear with at least 30 children watching! (UNREAL!) icon_eek.gif

WEIRD story, so I had to share that with you!

And I've never heard this story. Been here since 1978...

I once hit a deer coming down Monteagle on I-24 in Tennessee. Messed the deer up pretty good, but barely scratched my old beater Toyota.

What really scares me is driving around at night in some of the places I routinely travle to, places like northern Minnesota, western Ontario, New Brunswick, all places with moose running about. Another bad place is the Mogollon Rime area in AZ, when the elk are running around.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Finn:

I am sorry for the deer and the damage it may have done to your car, but your sound byte is hilarious!!!

Well, like I wrote in my log, there was no damage to my (red) truck, and I didn't see the deer anywhere (although it was dark) so I think we both went away from the experience in decent shape.

Jamie

quote:
i hit the deer, it looked like it was about to die, i couldnt just let it suffer, but i had nothing to kill it with. so, i used a jack, a tire iron and a dull knife to try and end the suffering. well, after 3 minutes of beating, the darn thing got up and tried to run...

May I direct you to "The Long Kiss Goodnight"? Geena Davis could give you a tip or two on how to put a deer out of its misery!

(After my car was attacked by those two deer, I was able to find a local who was willing to track down the second one and dispatch it, if necessary. Wonder if he had venison for dinner??)

I was riding a motorcycle on a local highway at night doin somewhat over the speed limit. Came around a turn & barely had time to register something in the road. No time to swerve, threw my weight to the back of the seat and yanked up

on the handle bars like I used to do on my dirt bike to get over an obstacle (only this time I was on a full dress street bike). Hit the thing which I later found out was a dead deer. Bike launches itself straight up, comes down & I manage to stay upright but I took a glancing blow to my right leg/foot. I'm in lots of pain, thought I broke something. Reach down to check it & come up with a hand full of blood! Drive to the local hospital ER. Turns out the blood wasn't mine, that's when I realized I hit a deer. Was pullin chunks of it out of the fins on my engine for days! icon_eek.gif

Wherever you go, there you are!

I was coming home from work today and was a few houses from my home when I saw something near my house. On the road was a state trooper with his lights on (parked across the road from my house), an ambulance, fire truck, and a badly wrecked car. Talk about a heart stopper! (My 11 yr old was home at the time, too...). I pulled over and parked, and ran.. saw my 11 yr old son and 16 yr old daughter standing outside, safe and sound.

Turns out the UPS truck was pulling to a stop at our house, and was rear-ended by a small car.. totalled the car, pushed the UPS truck over our mailbox, flattening it completely.

The driver of the car walked away, shook up with a scratch on her cheek (Thank God for air bags!), and the UPS men seemed unhurt, also.

Just to try to connect this with geocaching, dad was on his way back from a geocaching expedition (and picking up the oldest from college), and was talking to the son on the phone, when the crash occurred.... so PapaCat got in on the excitement, too.

Also, I have tagged 2 deer within a couple of blocks of this house... one survived, the other lost the battle with our tank.

My wife HAD a '99 Chev Prizm which she managed to drive through a doe in Central Oregon. Two weeks later, I am driving the replacement, '99 Corolla, in Eastern Idaho and a dang gum doe jumps out of the ditch and takes the mirror off with her head. Dead deer. Not. It laid there on the shoulder and as I did not have my truck, no gun to bang it with. A local stopped by and went and got the local "honarary" game warden who was going to put the deer down and then put it on the menu at his inn. Before they got back, the doe staggered off into the night. I doubt it lived long as it had blood running from its ears and nose and eyes. But there are a lot of big cats in the area so it might have been dinner anyway.