Night Caches

Roadster

Just got back from trying a night cache. The coordinates took us to a trail head and from there you use a flashlight to try and follow a trail of small squares of reflector tape about 8 feet off the ground stapled to trees. They were few and far apart but bright reflectors. There are 2 logs of people trying this in the day and couldn't find it. We found it with no problems, it was a 20 minute hike to the cache.

I thought it was a very good ideal. What other ways are there to do night caches made just for night.

The early bird gets the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese.

i was just thinking about this yesterday. what i came up with was placing one in an old cemetery - sculpting a head stone that is hollow so it could cover the actual cache. i was thinking i could paint an identifying message with glow in the dark paint on the stone.

problem i forsee is that glow in the dark paint has to be exposed to light in order to glow -- but i could probably cover that on the cache page

i figure this way the cache would be a little scary too icon_cool.gif

So, what's wrong with the cache hunters having to charge up the paint? They simply go to the cache location, find that there are several headstones and are required to use a flashlight to inspect each stone. The stone that glows afterwards is the cache stone... I just wonder how long the paint would last being outside.

On a side note, you should see my bathroom. One of my girls (they won't fess up who did it) was doing her nails with glow in the dark nail polish one day and ever since then the entire counter, the old sink, the cabinet, the tile floor and the old bath rug glow like mad for about 15 minutes after the lights are turned off. Kind of messes with your head when you make one of those late night trips to the throne...

Jon.

Shayl.gif

Come visit us on the web!!

The JJ&C Railroad

There are two night-time caches that we know of in the Portland Oregon area, and probably others that we don't know. One is After Dark. The second is Genesis of Caching. Lesson 1&2. Un-Original was our very first cache (not coincidence, we planned that).

These are the only 2 caches that we have found at night. There were 2 other times that we attempted to find a cache in the dark, but felt unsafe, either because of terrain or being in an "iffy" area.

Temporarily French Polynesia's most prolific geocachers!

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Before you go night caching, read this log:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cachelog_details.asp?ID=178098&L=1033235

and its companion:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cachelog_details.asp?ID=178121&L=1033462

_"An appeaser is one who keeps feeding a crocodile-hoping it will eat him last" -Winston Churchill_

icon_eek.gif

Only in Oklahoma here....hehe, nobody wants to go with me tonight to this cache...of course, I don't want to do it by myself either! icon_redface.gif

Darkmoon

All you have to do to fly is throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Blacklite.com

This link may help some of you guys decide what to use for night caches. I'm not sure what they would charge for their products but you might get some info from their site.

"And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?"

quote:
Originally posted by Darkmoon:

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Before you go night caching, read this log:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cachelog_details.asp?ID=178098&L=1033235

and its companion:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cachelog_details.asp?ID=178121&L=1033462

_"An appeaser is one who keeps feeding a crocodile-hoping it will eat him last" -Winston Churchill_

icon_eek.gif

Only in Oklahoma here....hehe, nobody wants to go with me tonight to this cache...of course, I don't want to do it by myself either! icon_redface.gif

Darkmoon

id go with you but i live in indiana. Those pics ROCK!

[Episkipos Enos Shenk, KSC]

[403forbidden.urbanexploration.org]

quote:
Originally posted by Darkmoon:

Here is the one I did in Oklahoma and i am getting ready to put another one out!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=54780

I really enjoy doing these!

Darkmoon icon_biggrin.gif

Darkmoon,

I think I will have to meet you one day - you are a man after my own heart!

--majicman

sounds like this would be incredibly fun. Reminds me of those nights of playing flashlight tag.....sigh....oh soooo long ago. But I wonder, if you follow the "reflectors" into the woods....are there reflectors to guide you back out? I know you're suppose to waypoint your start, but under the condition of nighttime, is this reckonmended to anyone who is setting up a "night cache"?

f~g

"Forty-two!" yelled Loonquawl. "Is that all you've got to show for seven and a half million years' work?"

There new long lasting glow powders available that can be mixed with epoxy or clear acrylic resins. Some of these are very bright and last for up to 12 hours. I picked some up recently from Ready Set Glow in Canada. Very good service and excellent product. I'm planning on setting up some sort of night time cache myself! icon_smile.gif

--Peter