Waypoint Management... Which software do you use...

I've had my 76S now for a month or so and have very much enjoyed this new hobby of geocaching (found this site researching gps purchase).

Anyway, my biggest frustration icon_frown.gif has not been with ticks, mosquitos, signals strength under tree cover, etc. I am quite pleased with the Garmin unit and enjoy geocaching very much.

My beef is with waypoint/data management.

I have Topo, EasyGPS & tried G7toWin. None alone are perfect waypoint/route management tools.

I want a software that will allow me to easily sort out my waypoints, easily share waypoints between several files, easily download only selected waypoints, easily add more waypoints to a file w/o creating a new file by default (as with Mapsource). In Mapsource if I have a file open and i want add waypoints to it from another source, it defaults to start a new file.

I know I am not being 100% clear, but I also feel I am likely preaching to the choir. Other cacher's must know what I mean!!!

What is your 'system' for data management? What software do you use? What steps do you have to take for adequate data filing? What do you like best/worst about your software & system of management?

I am thinking of trying ExpertGPS. Is this the answer? Other recomendations?

Thanks,

QUESTION: What software do you use to manage gps data (waypoints, routes, tracks, etc)???

To store offline information and give me more detailed searches (and help me update my website automatically), I use an MS Access Database that I created. It stores information about local caches and tells me exact distance from local landmarks (is this new cache closest to O'Hare Airport, my house, the Sears Tower, intersection of I-55 and I-294, etc.).

As far as downloading into my 76S, I just use EasyGPS and Geobuddy (for combining those separate caches into one large file). Periodically (every two weeks or so), I go through and download all of the local unfound caches, up to about 50 or 60 miles distance from home. Then I dump the current info off my GPS and upload the new info.

Haven't had a problem yet.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

I use a combination of the three. Mapsource is my final destination since I can view the waypoints on a map for easy of location. EasyGPS since it is what is supported from geocaching.com and GeoBuddy to get from EasyGPS to MapSource without having to upload then download all the points through the GPS for conversion. icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

I find that the combination of GeoBuddy and EasyGPS are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Very versatile and easy to use. My cadillac system however is Fugawi's mapping software and topos. The only problem is I have to go from EasyGPS via my GPSR to download waypoints into Fugawi. But thats not really a big deal. It doesn't take long to do.

Cheers, Olar

wavey.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Us 5 Camp:

...I have Topo, EasyGPS & tried G7toWin. None alone are perfect waypoint/route management tools.

I want a software that will allow me to easily sort out my waypoints, easily share waypoints between several files, easily download only selected waypoints, easily add more waypoints to a file w/o creating a new file by default (as with Mapsource). In Mapsource if I have a file open and i want add waypoints to it from another source, it defaults to start a new file....

I use Mapsource Topo and Roads with my Vista and don't find the problems you have stated.

The trick is to open more than one Mapsource program. You can split screen them using the Windows bar on the bottom. The you can cut, copy and paste waypoints, routes, maps and tracks from one file to the other without defaulting to a new file.

For example, open a new file. Then copy the waypoints you want from another opened file and download the new file. Only those waypoints wil transfer. Another example is that I keep all my "found" cache waypoints in a separate file. WHen I get home. I download waypoints from my Vista into a second Mapsourse file I opened. I then cut from the second and paste them into my "found" cache file and save it. I then delete all waypoint in my Vista and transfer the waypointsw in the second Mapsourse file (withpout the found cache waypoints) back into my VBista effectively deleting found cache waypoints no longer needed.

I'm sure you can come up with all sorts of neat combination on your own.

Here's another. With two files open, you can display Topo on the top and Roads on the bottom for the same area.

The key is you can open any number of mapsourse files.

Alan