Junk

First of all, I concur that it is disappointing to find lots of crap in a cache.

I know we don't really expect it but in some way don't we all have visions of dubloons and rubies shining in theafternoon sun dancing in our heads? icon_wink.gif

Although I agree that one's trash is another's treasure, there are limits. We went to a cache and found a busted oil tank gauge and an empty film cannister.

Now, here's where I get hypocritical since I haven't yet hidden my own but...

It almost seems like the maintenance of a cache is the owner's responsibility (though it would be preferable to have cachers consciencious enough to keep the loot well stocked). Like a garden, the cache will fall into disrepair and the owner must periodically tramp out to make sure it's up to snuff.

But again, though it's awesome to find cool, unique things in there, the best part of it all is the Hunt (at least for us).

Getting closer and closer gives that thrill and it's always neat to see what other people choose as containers and as hiding spots.

Eh, whatever. My 0.02.

~E2000

quote:
Originally posted by Lazyboy & Mitey Mite:

I think I'll call it The Worlds Worst Cache and only lousy items will be allowed in it. I will only allow items worse than AOL CD's to be placed in it. Anything nicer and I'll delete the log.

This is a good idea. I think I'd make the trip out just to drop off all the old AOL 2.0, Compuserve and Prodigy diskettes sitting in a corner of my basement. Junky enough??

usually you wont have a 5 year old visiting your cache unless they have an adult with them. the whole mctoys problem stems from the adults.

i dont care for the mctoys and can see where a cache full of them could be annoying to most. there is NO excuse for broken mctoys or broken anything. the adults should be stepping in and leading by example. if YOU dont want that broken watchamacalit then what makes you think somebody else will?

quit being so cheap folks! if you didnt bring something then leave a "wheres george" buck. or did you forget the wallet too?

i havent had a mctoy problem at any of my caches. most are theme micros so the offending mctoys cant fit. if someone leaves junk i just pitch it when i do maintenance and put a note on the cache page.

urbo icon_eek.gif

usually you wont have a 5 year old visiting your cache unless they have an adult with them. the whole mctoys problem stems from the adults.

i dont care for the mctoys and can see where a cache full of them could be annoying to most. there is NO excuse for broken mctoys or broken anything. the adults should be stepping in and leading by example. if YOU dont want that broken watchamacalit then what makes you think somebody else will?

quit being so cheap folks! if you didnt bring something then leave a "wheres george" buck. or did you forget the wallet too?

i havent had a mctoy problem at any of my caches. most are theme micros so the offending mctoys cant fit. if someone leaves junk i just pitch it when i do maintenance and put a note on the cache page.

urbo icon_eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

This is a good idea. I think I'd make the trip out just to drop off all the old AOL 2.0, Compuserve and Prodigy diskettes sitting in a corner of my basement. Junky enough??

Hey, now some of the CD's are okay! I just came across an Earthlink CD that, when you sign up, you get for free a scanner and printer! Now, why wouldn't anyone want that?

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

What about cache printouts? That classifies as first class junk as well in my opinion. I open up lots of caches to find several copies of the cache pages and any pictures. Why leave those behind? You have already found the cache why would he next finder need it?

I'm usually geocaching with my six-year-old son. Usually I'll let him pick what we are going to take from the cache. It keeps him interested in the hunt and minimizes the whining.

One time I was writing in the log when I looked over and he was blowing up a toy balloon someone had left. Once he had put his mouth on it, I felt obligated to take it. Ended up leaving a brand-new Swiss Army Knife in its place.

On the one hand, he really liked the balloon. On the other hand, I felt kind of cheated. I guess I could have taken something else as well, but it didn't seem right at the time to take two items and only leave one.

Just keep repeating to yourself: "It's the hunt, not the items. . . It's the hunt, not the items..."

quote:
Originally posted by hikerbill:

Please teach your kids some sense of value if you're going to unleash 'em out there. Speaking of which, find the caches per your GPS and don't turn a cadre of neighbor treasure-hunters loose in the wild to shot-gun, compass-trample our natural areas. Kids

like adult toys, too, ya know. Leave a few.

I recently went to a geocacher meeting and I thought it might be fun to hide a cache there as well. Everything was going fine and we were haveing fun but I was shocked to see a father allow his children to plunder the cache. He let them trade a used ink pen for a coleman pocket knife and a steel washer that the kid said to me " I don't know what this is I just found it on the ground", for a swiss army knife. Parents should be responsible for their children and teach them proper values. The example that I see that come out of this was "Hey it's ok to trade your JUNK for something that I can't buy you"!....Parents Please get a grip on your kids...My dog is better trained than them. Thank you, I will now get off your toes. icon_eek.gif

nsewmrkt.gif

[This message was edited by Gee Ode on May 15, 2002 at 05:38 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by hikerbill:

Please teach your kids some sense of value if you're going to unleash 'em out there. Speaking of which, find the caches per your GPS and don't turn a cadre of neighbor treasure-hunters loose in the wild to shot-gun, compass-trample our natural areas. Kids

like adult toys, too, ya know. Leave a few.

I recently went to a geocacher meeting and I thought it might be fun to hide a cache there as well. Everything was going fine and we were haveing fun but I was shocked to see a father allow his children to plunder the cache. He let them trade a used ink pen for a coleman pocket knife and a steel washer that the kid said to me " I don't know what this is I just found it on the ground", for a swiss army knife. Parents should be responsible for their children and teach them proper values. The example that I see that come out of this was "Hey it's ok to trade your JUNK for something that I can't buy you"!....Parents Please get a grip on your kids...My dog is better trained than them. Thank you, I will now get off your toes. icon_eek.gif

nsewmrkt.gif

[This message was edited by Gee Ode on May 15, 2002 at 05:38 PM.]

Stomp all you want, Geo Ode. That kind of behavior is unacceptable and ridiculous. Our kind Western European upbringing has trained us not to comment even when we see people (grown-ups and children) behaving in such a rude manner. We need to cast off our mental restrictions and step up and say "NO!"

I understand that it is easy for me to type that and not have to face it myself, but it something that we all have to do.

There is a geocacher in my area who constantly trades down and I'm going to call them on it. "Took a nice collectible $5 shot glass, left a twenty-five cent pair of dice"... uh-huh. It wouldn't bother me if this was something that happens now and then, but if one person sees an item that they really like and consider valuable, they shouldn't trade it for something that has little or no intrinsic (sp?) value. If they didn't bring something worth trading for that shot glass, there were plenty of items in that cache worth what they had to trade.

What is really funny? This same person comments in forums about the poor quality of cache contents! No go figure.

quote:
Originally posted by THE WILD BUNCH:

icon_rolleyes.gif WHY IS IT THAT THOSE WHO HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY CAN'T SAY IT, WHILE THOSE WHO HAVE NOTHING TO SAY KEEP SAYING IT. ANONYMOUS

icon_smile.gificon_cool.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_confused.gificon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

THANKS,

THE WILD BUNCH

P.S. ENOUGH WITH THE KID BASHING.... NOT SURE WHATS WORSE A CACHE WITH NOTHING IN IT OR THOSE WHO WHINE ABOUT IT....

I don't think that anyone was bashing kids, or you were spending so much time adding smilie icons that you didn't read the posts? Just picked out the parts you found offensive?

If I'm b|tching about anything it is the parents who allow their kids to take what they want from a cache without considering that you/they don't have anything SUITABLE to trade for what they've taken.

If that bothers you, perhaps you are one of those parents and the shoe fits?

And what was anonymous about your post?

----------

KF6VFI

GeoGadgets Team Website

quote:
Originally posted by THE WILD BUNCH:

icon_rolleyes.gif WHY IS IT THAT THOSE WHO HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY CAN'T SAY IT, WHILE THOSE WHO HAVE NOTHING TO SAY KEEP SAYING IT. ANONYMOUS

icon_smile.gificon_cool.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_confused.gificon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

THANKS,

THE WILD BUNCH

P.S. ENOUGH WITH THE KID BASHING.... NOT SURE WHATS WORSE A CACHE WITH NOTHING IN IT OR THOSE WHO WHINE ABOUT IT....

I don't think that anyone was bashing kids, or you were spending so much time adding smilie icons that you didn't read the posts? Just picked out the parts you found offensive?

If I'm b|tching about anything it is the parents who allow their kids to take what they want from a cache without considering that you/they don't have anything SUITABLE to trade for what they've taken.

If that bothers you, perhaps you are one of those parents and the shoe fits?

And what was anonymous about your post?

----------

KF6VFI

GeoGadgets Team Website

I am just getting started and haven't set my first cache yet, but when I do, I want it to contain a mix of nice items, but also some McToys. Why? So when people bring their kids, their kids can choose a prize as well - and I want them to feel free to do that without feeling guilty for ripping off the cache.

As for me, my own goal when visiting other peopl'es caches is to take 1, leave 2, and not just a crappy 2, so that the caches get better and better and better.

The question to ask is: what would happen if EVERYONE did what I'm doing now? Just mho

Doing some cache maintenance yesterday, I found a single (1), individually wrapped (at least) Lifesaver. I guess they had some leftover Halloween candy and forgot about the no food in cache rule. And to top that, there was a dirty, diaper cover. What, did they have the baby along in a carrier and decide to strip him to put something in the cache? I can't imagine someone bringing something like this along specifically to trade. Maybe if it's brand new, in it's original package; or at least, for heavens sake, wash the thing first

I am a relative newbee to Geocaching... but not to hiking or land-nav. Lived that life for 20 years, now training ROTC cadets. But of the two caches I have found, the first my daughter took a small bauble, and left a handmade necklace. Some might think it is just string and beads. Yes, it is, but it is also a few hours of work tying the string, stringing the beads, and following the pattern. I took a small bauble (perhaps a McToy, dunno, I boycott McDs for their anti-gun ways and support for jesse j), and I left a document on the sights and history of the local mountains.

On the second cache, my daughter took a small flag pin, and left two handmade bracelets. I took a small penlight, and left a document about the local (only ones in the U.S.) tin mines. I spent time researching the history of the mines, not to mention the 8 hour hike for the photos. Was that value? Dunno. The penlight may have been as much as $4 or $5, my paper was only 4 or 5 sheets. Both times, I think we left value for value. But others would not. In the end, will you try to please everybody?

I am just about to place my first cache. I have no experience at this. For a list of what it contains, go to the getting started forum. Since I don't know what to expect, I guess I will expect anything. What I do know is, I believe that the hike, the sceneary, and the historic area is the real treasure. This is what my cache will be about. I guess if I find it full of McDs wrappers, I will be dissappointed. But if I find the logbook full of comments about the area, the mines, the mountains, birds, lizzards, etc... it will do for me. So... just what IS value?

Mike. KD9KC icon_confused.gif

I am a relative newbee to Geocaching... but not to hiking or land-nav. Lived that life for 20 years, now training ROTC cadets. But of the two caches I have found, the first my daughter took a small bauble, and left a handmade necklace. Some might think it is just string and beads. Yes, it is, but it is also a few hours of work tying the string, stringing the beads, and following the pattern. I took a small bauble (perhaps a McToy, dunno, I boycott McDs for their anti-gun ways and support for jesse j), and I left a document on the sights and history of the local mountains.

On the second cache, my daughter took a small flag pin, and left two handmade bracelets. I took a small penlight, and left a document about the local (only ones in the U.S.) tin mines. I spent time researching the history of the mines, not to mention the 8 hour hike for the photos. Was that value? Dunno. The penlight may have been as much as $4 or $5, my paper was only 4 or 5 sheets. Both times, I think we left value for value. But others would not. In the end, will you try to please everybody?

I am just about to place my first cache. I have no experience at this. For a list of what it contains, go to the getting started forum. Since I don't know what to expect, I guess I will expect anything. What I do know is, I believe that the hike, the sceneary, and the historic area is the real treasure. This is what my cache will be about. I guess if I find it full of McDs wrappers, I will be dissappointed. But if I find the logbook full of comments about the area, the mines, the mountains, birds, lizzards, etc... it will do for me. So... just what IS value?

Mike. KD9KC icon_confused.gif

Mike (KD9C),

As I mentioned in an earlier post, nobody expects to get rich with the stuff they find in a cache, but c'mon a (1) Lifesaver and a dirty diaper cover? I saw the list of what you put in your cache. You have a lot of nice items and obviously put a lot of thought into it. I'm sure you will feel some disappointment when you go back in 6 months and all your nice stuff is gone, and the cache is filled with broken McToys, used and dirty and action figures, maybe a toy soldier or two, a state quarter and other used and useless trinkets.

And that will happen.

If people would only leave items that are new, or lightly used and of possible use to someone, we wouldn't have this problem problem. If someone wants to put in toy soilders, buy a whole bag of them for a buck 99 and put it in. Not a single one, missing its head, from the bottom of your kid's toybox. If you want to put in a McToy, a new one, still in its wrapper is fine. One that you found under the back seat of your car is simply garbage.

I read one log where the finder left dead batteries from his GPS and a an empty, mini booze bottle he found on his way in. Now what the F is that!

I know the idea is the hunt, but after walking 2 miles and searching for an hour it would be nice to finde something interesting in the cache.

Heck, this seems so easy to me. Toys, tools, coins, figurines, knives, new pens or pencils, calculators, fishing lures, lottery scratch offs, homemade or unique items are all cool to find. The list is endless! Just dont leave one arm from a toy soldier, half a movie ticket stub, cigarette butts, new or used comdoms, or gum wrappers behind,,, How hard can this be to figure out???

frog_and_chicken.jpg

Look I all ways leave the same thing in caches a red stone Budda costs me a $1.00 and some thing eles a MCtoy some times or a paper back book but never junk.I've gone as far as taking the silver ring of of my hand but I the long run its only about the hunt not the find I leave a Budda even if I take nothing.WHAT HATE IS JUNK USED GOLF BALLS AND TEES i EVEN HAD SOME ONE LEAVE A CIG. AND A LIGHTER AND A CAMEL BUCK SAME PERSON SAME CACHE. icon_eek.gif

I would follow my GPS to the gates of Hell if it pointed that way.

Look I all ways leave the same thing in caches a red stone Budda costs me a $1.00 and some thing eles a MCtoy some times or a paper back book but never junk.I've gone as far as taking the silver ring of of my hand but I the long run its only about the hunt not the find I leave a Budda even if I take nothing.WHAT HATE IS JUNK USED GOLF BALLS AND TEES i EVEN HAD SOME ONE LEAVE A CIG. AND A LIGHTER AND A CAMEL BUCK SAME PERSON SAME CACHE. icon_eek.gif

I would follow my GPS to the gates of Hell if it pointed that way.

My girls and I just started caching. We've done 2 caches so far and had a blast. I must say I was disappointed, however, at the poor condition of the contents (which is why I went looking for this thread).

We've already started a "booty box" to collect some really cool and interesting stuff to leave in future caches. So far we have a bronze Mt. Rushmore bell, a plaster statue of Crazy Horse Mountain, a set of cool slot machine dice, and a stack of zip-locked paperback books (which I need to log into bookcrossing). Collecting the booty to leave or trade has been fun for them, too. And we've already talked about "clearing the cache trash" on our future finds.

I agree, the hunt is fun, but it's also delightful to find a real treasure. On our first 2 caches we took my cousins kids with us and the kids ended up trading amongst themselves things we'd brought!

Intresting points you folks are making. When I started geocaching my twin girls (8yrs) would go with me and were very motivated in the begining. I would give each on them a gold dollar coin to make a trade with that worked for a while because the game was novel at the time. After a while they wanted to start keeping the gold dollar coins for themselves instead of trading. Do you blame them?

Team SuperGenius

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

I forgot for the young ones it is all about the trade not the hike or the views that stuff is for the adult that can appricate it. Now I go alone and can enjoy the hike and the views without all the whinning. Somebody call a whambulance!

Team SuperGenius

Pepper(solo)

Horizontals where it's at!