DGPS - will you do it?

Guest BigFig

Guest BigFig

Given the never-ending march of technological advances (hey, pays my rent), would you embrace a technogy that nails the cache down to the meter - or do you think that would take the fun out of the "hunt"?

Or, do you just like to get out into the world and kick around??

Would the "hunt" lose it's appeal if you knew you could find it effortlessly every time?

Guest jeremy

I don't think so. The cache will either just get much smaller or harder to get to. Or make you answer a riddle, or the location itself will only get you within 30 feet of the cache. Lots of fun options icon_smile.gif

It will actually be better, now that I think more of it. The majority of my cache hunts are trying to find an open area to get a good satellite lock. That doesn't really make the hunt more fun, and I would not be fazed if that aspect went away.

You'd also be able to do offset caches based on a location and not a landmark. Going 10 paces 135 degrees isn't so bad if you're 30 feet off, but it is if you need to go a mile.

Jeremy

Guest jeremy

I don't think so. The cache will either just get much smaller or harder to get to. Or make you answer a riddle, or the location itself will only get you within 30 feet of the cache. Lots of fun options icon_smile.gif

It will actually be better, now that I think more of it. The majority of my cache hunts are trying to find an open area to get a good satellite lock. That doesn't really make the hunt more fun, and I would not be fazed if that aspect went away.

You'd also be able to do offset caches based on a location and not a landmark. Going 10 paces 135 degrees isn't so bad if you're 30 feet off, but it is if you need to go a mile.

Jeremy

Guest bob_renner

You will still have the inaccuracies of the gps of the person placing the cache (unless he also has dgps).

If it does get as accurate and easy as you mention, then you can start making multi-stage caches. You don't give the coordinates of the cache itself but rather you give the coordinates of another set of coordinates. See GC1D3 Where is that Dam Cache and GC2AC Rats Nest for examples. There are clues you have to figure out to find the intermediate coordinates. You could also give coordinates and cryptic clues to tell you where to go from there to find the next clue. You could give measurements in furlongs or leagues. The possibilities are endless.

Bob Renner

Guest proxien

I am a total newbiew ot GPS, what exactly is DGPS? My receiver is suppossedly "DGPS Ready" but I don't know what that means.

Just a short reply or a URL woudl be great.

Thanks!

------------------

proxien

Guest bob_renner

In layman terms:

DGPS = differential GPS. A ground station receives the sat signals and compares them to its known surveyed position and transmits a difference signal that gives a correction to your reciever. It improves the accuracy to about 3 meters.

See http://joe.mehaffey.com/ for all kinds of information on GPS.

Bob