Geocaching farewell saying?

bigcall

I saw PKPaul's question on "never would have visited this spot before without geocaching" and it made me think of this one.

Recently had a area geocacher move across the country and it dawned on me that there ought to be a special geocaching farewell saying - something in the vein of "May the road rise to meet you" or "Fair winds and following seas".

How about "Clear skies and keen eyes"?

Does anyone else have thoughts on this one?

Way back in the days when the grass was still green

and the pond was still wet

and the clouds were still clean,

and the song of the Swomee-Swans rang out in space...

one morning, I came to this glorious place.

Just say what you mean. There's already way too many acronyms, nicknames, "code words",catch phrases (or cache phrases, if you prefer) everything else floating around. I think we already have enough words in the English language without making up new ones for everything. Acronyms and abbreviations also make it difficult for new people in our activity to know what we're talking about. Oh, and by the way, I work for the Government - the LAST thing I want to see in my leisure time is yet more acronyms! icon_razz.gif

Visit the Mississippi Geocaching Forum at

http://pub98.ezboard.com/bgeocachingms

Just say what you mean. There's already way too many acronyms, nicknames, "code words",catch phrases (or cache phrases, if you prefer) everything else floating around. I think we already have enough words in the English language without making up new ones for everything. Acronyms and abbreviations also make it difficult for new people in our activity to know what we're talking about. Oh, and by the way, I work for the Government - the LAST thing I want to see in my leisure time is yet more acronyms! icon_razz.gif

Visit the Mississippi Geocaching Forum at

http://pub98.ezboard.com/bgeocachingms

I can only understand their use in the forums. However even there if the people don't understand them, how are you getting your point across? Everone has to stop and figure out what you just typed and meant in order to continue.

I don't understand IMHO. It's an old one, but it doesn't seem to be used in a context that explaines it self.

I'M a HO? I Mean Honest Oranges?

Even though TNLN is kind of ubiquitous, if you've never seen it how would you know what those four letters stand for?

Preparation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

Keep in touch, and send me your coordinates when you get there.

Cache you later,

Planet

I like simply "Cache you later" the best. You could say it to your friends and they might not even cache on. icon_wink.gif Sort of for those in the know.

stealyourcache.gif I do know one thing though, caches they come they go, Saturday through Sunday Monday, Monday through Sunday Yo! -Eminem www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

Keep in touch, and send me your coordinates when you get there.

Cache you later,

Planet

I like simply "Cache you later" the best. You could say it to your friends and they might not even cache on. icon_wink.gif Sort of for those in the know.

stealyourcache.gif I do know one thing though, caches they come they go, Saturday through Sunday Monday, Monday through Sunday Yo! -Eminem www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru

quote:
Originally posted by AllenLacy:

FWIW alot of the acronyms came into use when we accessed EBBS' and the internet with a 1200 baud...

Hmmm, I was one of those, and we used plenty of acronyms, but it had little to do with the connection speed. A few bytes doesn't slow down even a 1200 baud connection very much. What is a hassle is type out things such as..."as far as I know" all the time. It's easier to type AFAIK.

It's typing efficiency, not connection speed.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

I use AFAIK sometimes, but its usually as protection against flames. For me (and, IMHO, I suspect others) abbreviations such as AFAIK and IMHO are less a convenience and more a sort of Sunblock SPF 6,000,000.

*laugh* Well said... I hadn't really thought about it before, but that is EXACTLY why I use IMHO. icon_biggrin.gif Because, in reality - I know I am always right, and I could give a crap if people don't like it. icon_wink.gif

- Toe.

--==< Rubbertoe's Webcam, Photo Albums, and Homepage >==--

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

I use AFAIK sometimes, but its usually as protection against flames. For me (and, IMHO, I suspect others) abbreviations such as AFAIK and IMHO are less a convenience and more a sort of Sunblock SPF 6,000,000.

*laugh* Well said... I hadn't really thought about it before, but that is EXACTLY why I use IMHO. icon_biggrin.gif Because, in reality - I know I am always right, and I could give a crap if people don't like it. icon_wink.gif

- Toe.

--==< Rubbertoe's Webcam, Photo Albums, and Homepage >==--

quote:
Originally posted by Dru Morgan:
Originally posted by Planet: Keep in touch, and send me your coordinates when you get there.

Cache you later, Planet

Reminds me of "Smell ya later from the Simpsons"

So I gotta like it.

PKPaul

quote:
Originally posted by Dru Morgan:
Originally posted by Planet: Keep in touch, and send me your coordinates when you get there.

Cache you later, Planet

Reminds me of "Smell ya later from the Simpsons"

So I gotta like it.

PKPaul

quote:
Originally posted by Moore9KSUcats:

How many remember Q-link (for the Commodore 64) and accessing that with 300 baud? I thought I was stepping up BIG time when we got a 1200 baud modem!

C-64!! I had Q-link running on my VIC-20!

Ahh the good old days. The C-64 and the VIC are still operational and in the basement.

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

"Muga Muchu" (forget yourself, focus).

quote:
Originally posted by Moore9KSUcats:

How many remember Q-link (for the Commodore 64) and accessing that with 300 baud? I thought I was stepping up BIG time when we got a 1200 baud modem!

C-64!! I had Q-link running on my VIC-20!

Ahh the good old days. The C-64 and the VIC are still operational and in the basement.

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

"Muga Muchu" (forget yourself, focus).

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

It's typing efficiency, not connection speed.

Jamie

I agree. I think a lot of the acronyms became real popular in chat rooms, like ROFLMAO, etc...

I'm a latecomer to online services. My first modem was a 300 bps. The 110s were already history.

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

[This message was edited by VentureForth on September 19, 2002 at 08:44 AM.]

I don't know, I kind of like the one where you turn your head away from the departing individual and in a real quiet voice just kind of whisper: Phew, I sure am glad I don't have to worry about THEM beating me to a cache any longer!

FYI... My first programs were punched on paper tapes too. Geez! That was a long time ago!

Support your local rescue team.... Get Lost!

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

What does Regards mean?

from my American Heritage Dictionary:

Greetings that show respect or affection; good wishes.

... in the plural it is often used as a courteous close to a lletter or message: with best regards.

That is what regards means when so used.

Regards,

CP

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

My suggestion was actually "keep in touch and send me your coordinates when you get there." Cache you later is what I always sign off with. But thanks you guys! icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

How about: "Hello", "Thanks" or "Regards". They have always worked before.

I have no idea what "cache you later" means.

Smoochnme

Cache you later is simply a play on Catch you later, silly. icon_wink.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

My suggestion was actually "keep in touch and send me your coordinates when you get there." Cache you later is what I always sign off with. But thanks you guys! icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

How about: "Hello", "Thanks" or "Regards". They have always worked before.

I have no idea what "cache you later" means.

Smoochnme

Cache you later is simply a play on Catch you later, silly. icon_wink.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

I remember the VIC 20 and the 64, but only used the 64 a couple of times in 1984 in high school. Our Apple IIe with the RGB color monitor was the cream of the crop back then icon_wink.gif.

I was weaned on the Macintosh, however, sometime during 1985 or thereabouts, probably closer to 1987. Oh how those SE/30's rocked! Remember the "Toaster Box" housing? Nice little compact computer there!

And to think, now I have a laptop with two drives, one for win98se and mandrake linux 8.2, and a 1.54mb cable modem connection to make it all possible?

Makes one yearn.....Naw! icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif

73 de N8PZT

Firefishe (Stephen Brown)

196939_600.gif

I remember the VIC 20 and the 64, but only used the 64 a couple of times in 1984 in high school. Our Apple IIe with the RGB color monitor was the cream of the crop back then icon_wink.gif.

I was weaned on the Macintosh, however, sometime during 1985 or thereabouts, probably closer to 1987. Oh how those SE/30's rocked! Remember the "Toaster Box" housing? Nice little compact computer there!

And to think, now I have a laptop with two drives, one for win98se and mandrake linux 8.2, and a 1.54mb cable modem connection to make it all possible?

Makes one yearn.....Naw! icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif

73 de N8PZT

Firefishe (Stephen Brown)

196939_600.gif

I, too, had a C-64 with a 300 baud modem, but only after I got back to the States was I able to get on Compuserve and local BBS's. Didn't get onto the Internet until around '95.

However, I've used acronyms long before. I was a ET in the Navy and SatCom was my specialty. To communicate with other stations and the conrolling body (I forget what it was called back then) is was the grand ol' AN/UGC-77 at 75 baud! Generally, only the RM's knew how to type, but even they used a lot of acronyms.

[note: ET = Electronics Technician, RM = Radioman, BBS = Bulletin Board System for those who didn't know]

Each hobby or group of people will develop their own shorthand for their common arena. It's the nature of the beast.

CR