Abuse of the forums by excessive posting

pipedreamer

I agree Goldkey and not that this makes any difference but I also contributed by picking up a couple GeoCaching Log books, an eight pack of travel bugs, and a geocaching T shirt and I wanted to get some Official Geocache stickers but as I'm sure you know they are out until the 15th of October.

So, to summarize, I have no problem contributing to the community via hard cold cache, putting nice trade items in the caches, my soon to be placed 'best cache of all time' and ofcourse all of my wonderful advice here in the forums. icon_wink.gif

_____________________________________________________________________________________

The 'idiot' who should be banned because he likes to spend all day annoying people while drinking beer.

Maybe I should apologize for singling out UMC as an example in my earlier posts. He just happened to be an easy target at the time. icon_biggrin.gif

Just the fact that someone was annoyed enough to start this thread reminded me that the idea for killfiles has come up before. While I personally was not annoyed enough to add UMC to a killfile, there have been a few people over the past year who had NOTHING worthwhile to contribute to these forums that I would have liked to add. Everyone has their own opinion of annoying, and killfiles would basically allow everyone to set their own level of tolerance.

Several people have just said to ignore someone if they annoy you. Those people then would not have to use a killfile option if it were available, but why knock those who would? Its a basic function included in every Usenet (the worlds biggest forum!) reader, and many other web-based message forums. Apparently there are millions of people out there who DO find such a function useful

Illegitimus non carborundum!

Maybe I should apologize for singling out UMC as an example in my earlier posts. He just happened to be an easy target at the time. icon_biggrin.gif

Just the fact that someone was annoyed enough to start this thread reminded me that the idea for killfiles has come up before. While I personally was not annoyed enough to add UMC to a killfile, there have been a few people over the past year who had NOTHING worthwhile to contribute to these forums that I would have liked to add. Everyone has their own opinion of annoying, and killfiles would basically allow everyone to set their own level of tolerance.

Several people have just said to ignore someone if they annoy you. Those people then would not have to use a killfile option if it were available, but why knock those who would? Its a basic function included in every Usenet (the worlds biggest forum!) reader, and many other web-based message forums. Apparently there are millions of people out there who DO find such a function useful

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

Hmm, a chatroom might be nice but I could imagine some folks that might never leave the chatroom! Maybe that's why the official chat is only once a week icon_smile.gif

Ahh, but the UNOFFICIAL chat is the OTHER 6.75 days of the week! And yes, there are some of us with dedicated connections that never leave the chat. (coughMOPARcough)

Feel free to stop in ANY time, not just monday nights, and see if anyone is around to shoot the breeze.

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

Hmm, a chatroom might be nice but I could imagine some folks that might never leave the chatroom! Maybe that's why the official chat is only once a week icon_smile.gif

Ahh, but the UNOFFICIAL chat is the OTHER 6.75 days of the week! And yes, there are some of us with dedicated connections that never leave the chat. (coughMOPARcough)

Feel free to stop in ANY time, not just monday nights, and see if anyone is around to shoot the breeze.

Not that anyone will tell me this icon_wink.gif but where could one find the chat info, ie. where to go to chat?

______________________________________________________________________________________

The 'idiot' who should be banned because he likes to spend all day annoying people while drinking beer.

Not that anyone will tell me this icon_wink.gif but where could one find the chat info, ie. where to go to chat?

______________________________________________________________________________________

Uh. Oh. Now I'm in trouble. First my wife says I'm addicted; pretty soon with 800+ posts I'm going to be accused too of hogging the airwaves here. I'll have to go to FA (Forums Anonymous) and get de-toxed. I heard they sit you in front of a computer tuned into a forum page, tie your hands to the arm rests. and let you sweat it out. I've heard people actually go into sensory shock. To rehabilitate you, they make you write on the blackboard 100 times: I promise to let my family use the computer. I promise to let my family use the computer.

I hear they caught one guy sneaking a laptop in with a connection to a cell phone. When they found he brought his GPS too, they signed him up for GA Geocaching Anonymous. You don't want to know how they detox you there!!!

Alan

LMAO @ Alan,

I spent a little time at FA but after they realized that there was no helping me they let me out into society again. I had to wear a tether for a while to make sure I didn't get out on the trails because they knew for sure that I would end up a GA and like you said that is not a pretty thing. icon_biggrin.gif

LMAO @ Alan,

I spent a little time at FA but after they realized that there was no helping me they let me out into society again. I had to wear a tether for a while to make sure I didn't get out on the trails because they knew for sure that I would end up a GA and like you said that is not a pretty thing. icon_biggrin.gif

Just slow down everyone... Think before you speak, etc... I don't know of an 'official' chat, but a search of chats related to Goecaching was pretty full! It's not hard to make a chat room, perhaps the Big J would give an area to let them be (lack of a better term) advertized. Free areas are available (with popups and spam and all the other nasty things) and that might be a way to go.

quote:
Originally posted by Cape Cod Cacher:

Just slow down everyone... Think before you speak, etc... I don't know of an 'official' chat, but a search of chats related to Goecaching was pretty full! It's not hard to make a chat room, perhaps the Big J would give an area to let them be (lack of a better term) advertized. Free areas are available (with popups and spam and all the other nasty things) and that might be a way to go.

Hey CCC! Check out Pubo's post up a few. I could have sworn there was a link from geocaching.com to there at one point, but I don't see it now. Anywhay, its been there since the beginning of the year, and there is always someone there (besides me!).

ps. OK it's 2am and I *AM* there, but I'm not gonna answer ya, cause I have to get up in 4hrs to head here:

Sunset Lake Hydrofest. The name sounds like something ClayJar might like, hehehehe

[This message was edited by Mopar on September 27, 2002 at 11:04 PM.]

I don't have a problem with someone who takes a year or more to make more than 900+ post, but nearly 400 posts in 17 days? That's a 8500+ per year pace. That much dominance by any one user will certainly cause me cut back the amount of time I spend here.

This isn't Survivor and I don't think we should vote someone off the island unless they become abusive, use foul language, or post in a completely inappropriate manner. Posts announcing ones state of intoxication are getting close.

umc, welcome aboard. Take a few extra seconds to think before hitting the Post Now button and you'll be OK.

Now where did I park my car??????? monkes.gif

I used to feel the need to post a response to every topic. Now, before I post I ask myself 3 questions:

Do I have something of value to add? Has it not already been said by someone? Will it piss some people off? If I can answer yes to all three, then I go ahead and post.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

Seems to me the way to get forum abusers to stop abusing the forums would be to stop responding to them, not to start entire threads devoted to giving them attention.

I just ignore posts that deserve ignoring.

I don't really have a problem with umc. There have been SEVERAL others who have been MUCH more annoying. They all seem to have either disappeared over time, or else learned to tone it down.

People who post really BIG photos are the most annoying.

Keep right on posting, umc. But, please tone it down just a *little bit*

25021_1200.gif

I wouldn't even go as far as asking anyone to TONE it DOWN. I think there are a lot of people that join and are gung-ho in the beginning. Eventually they will settle in and not find it necessary to reply to every post, or start unusual threads.

Bandwidth can't be the issue. Right now I'm at work on a 14.4 cellular modem. At home I have DSL so I notice the differance. However it's not enough to discourage me from loading a thread.

I don't like one line responces. Although I have made them myself.

To each his own.

Preparation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

Mokita!

quote:
Originally posted by Acceptable Risk:

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

I have no idea what you're talking about icon_smile.gif

Contents Under Pressure...

Yours isn't bad - 500x32 pixels, 9826 bytes. I mean BIG ONES - like 1500x1000 pixels, 5 meg. At least it fits on my 800x600 screen and I don't have time to run to the store while I wait for it to download.

25021_1200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Acceptable Risk:

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

I have no idea what you're talking about icon_smile.gif

Contents Under Pressure...

Yours isn't bad - 500x32 pixels, 9826 bytes. I mean BIG ONES - like 1500x1000 pixels, 5 meg. At least it fits on my 800x600 screen and I don't have time to run to the store while I wait for it to download.

25021_1200.gif

Well, it just got the best of me. I tried to stay away from the poopy-stirring contest long enough. It's like this:

Just as the whiners who hate mctoys-

Just as the whiners who hate 1/1 caches-

Just as the whiners who hate micros-

Just as the whiners who hate virtuals-

Just as the whiners who hate TNLN's-

Just as the whiners who complain about excessive forum posts_______

Get over it!!! Seems like to me that these people have gotten bored with geocaching. So, this is why they whine. Maybe we need a new hobby. Yeah! That's it! Let's call the new site "Geowhiners". Boy! Betcha all kinds of members will ensue.

UMC, maybe you have a zillion forum posts. Maybe you should try to hide/find a little more. Other than that, you have said a lot of things that were helpful, and some funnys, too. Maybe you do need to lighten up a little, and try for 300 finds or hides, not forum posts. But like all others, this is my opinion.

Don't worry about the whiners. They come from the woodwork, as I have seen. I tend to whine about things, for example the list above. I whine about whiners who have no real complaint. Hey, this is geocaching. Why ruin it all for the others, especially "newbies" who look up to the members and charter members and such. This whining should be stopped. Who gives a big rats *** about the posts, about 1/1's , mctoys, virtuals, micros, etc. GET A LIFE!!! and quit ruining it for others!!!!!

BEEP BEEP CLICK CLICK... WHO CARES??????

First off: THANKS EVERYONE icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Second: I think part of the reason for my many posts is/was because after I clicked on the 'post now' button the screen would come up saying 'Thank you for contributing to these forums', so I felt that it was in some sort of weird was asking for more. I gave it more every time and it kept thanking me so I figured that it couldn't be all bad. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

First off: THANKS EVERYONE icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Second: I think part of the reason for my many posts is/was because after I clicked on the 'post now' button the screen would come up saying 'Thank you for contributing to these forums', so I felt that it was in some sort of weird was asking for more. I gave it more every time and it kept thanking me so I figured that it couldn't be all bad. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

... after I clicked on the 'post now' button the screen would come up saying 'Thank you for contributing to these forums...

You get that too? I thought it was just a special message for me!

Women are like guns, keep one around long enough and you're going to want to shoot it.

quote:
Originally posted by dinoprophet:

The thread "Abuse of the forums by excessive posting" has the second most posts of any general thread for the month of September. And it only lost to the September 11 "Moment of Silence" thread.

Where are you getting this statistic? "Complaint Dept" easily outperformed this thread for the month of September.

warm.gif

So what are you guys saying here?? You want to go for 3??? icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Joke alert, Joke alert please don't pay any attention.

So what are you guys saying here?? You want to go for 3??? icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Joke alert, Joke alert please don't pay any attention.

quote:
Originally posted by Pubo:

quote:

http://www.clayjar.com/gc/chat/ or #geocache on Openprojects.net (Tell them Becky sent you)

Thanks a bunch!

-------------------------------------

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

Cache 'n' carry... My 4 year old!

quote:
Originally posted by Pubo:

quote:

http://www.clayjar.com/gc/chat/ or #geocache on Openprojects.net (Tell them Becky sent you)

Thanks a bunch!

-------------------------------------

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

Cache 'n' carry... My 4 year old!