Abuse of the forums by excessive posting

pipedreamer

Like many users, I have a very limited amount of time to use the geocaching forums due to work demands. In my case, my connection is also slow and medical problems make browsing time-consuming. I am annoyed that a forum user "umc" is currently trying to post as many posts as possible here, just for the sake of posting. He has stated that he enjoys "spending all day on the computer annoying people" and that he wants to “go for” a goal of putting 300 posts on here in one day. Nothing about the quality of said posts, he is just after sheer volume for some stupid reason.

As far as I’m concerned, this is a blatant abuse of the geocaching forums. I would like to request that umc be prohibited from spamming the boards any further and that his posting privileges be revoked until he can learn to treat the forums and his fellow geocachers with more consideration.

I don't spend a whole lot of time on these forums but I like to read them when I get the chance. I have seen several posts by "umc" and they seem to be on topic and/or asking questions that are relevant to geocaching. Now, if he is putting posts on that have nothing to do with the topic of geocaching just for the sake of posting then that is a problem. It sounds, however, like he has a lot of time to spend on his computer and wants to talk a bout geocaching. In that case read his posts or don't read them but I think he has a right to be part of the discussion

I'm against ANY register user being banned, unless things get REALLY out of hand. Thats why I would much rather have a killfile option. If I choose not to read posts like this one or this one, then thats my own choice. I just wish I could automate that choice with a killfile, rather then have to manually weed out 300 posts

Illegitimus non carborundum!

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

I would much rather have a killfile option. If I choose not to read posts like http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000917383&m=4510923435 one or http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000917383&m=8200934435& one, then thats my own choice. I just wish I could automate that choice with a killfile, rather then have to manually weed out 300 posts

Right. But we don't have a killfile on these boards. Meaning that we all have to wade through 300 mainly off-topic posts from some immature kid with nothing better to do that "sit at his cumputer all day annoying people".

Crackpipe,

You are the one being the annoying kid now and as far as my posts being off topic maybe you should go back and wade through them again because its obvious you didn't pay much attention the first time. For that I have no understanding as to why you have your panties wadded so far up your @$$ now. Don't pay attention again if you don't like it so much. If they started out off topic they were put back on topic in some sort of odd way but at anyrate I hope you get your wish. icon_razz.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Crackpipe,

You are the one being the annoying kid now and as far as my posts being off topic maybe you should go back and wade through them again because its obvious you didn't pay much attention the first time. For that I have no understanding as to why you have your panties wadded so far up your @$$ now. Don't pay attention again if you don't like it so much. If they started out off topic they were put back on topic in some sort of odd way but at anyrate I hope you get your wish. icon_razz.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

That is the word of the day.

I was at 294 posts or something when I started the thread about going for three. I wanted to hit the 300 mark. Not in one night but total.

Geeez

But sorry crackpipe keep whining.

Is that compared to the 9 posts about how drunk you are (before the thread was locked)?

So, then 55 off topic posts in 36 hours is better, I guess?

BruceS has only posted 54 times since the new forums came online. You have 350 posts in 2 weeks. I think I would much rather read what he has to say about geocaching

'umc', just slow down a bit. You have 10 times as many posts as I do in 1/32 of the time I've been here. (350-34, 1/2 month-18 months). Just think of the guy at the bar that ALWAYS has something to say, ala Cliff Clavin... It's a bit annoying and you'll never be taken seriously if you have anything of value to say in the future.

And when I was a bartender, I'd shut them off and wouldn't serve anything with caffine either.

quote:
Originally posted by pipedreamer:

Right. But we don't have a killfile on these boards. Meaning that we all have to wade through 300 mainly off-topic posts from some immature kid with nothing better to do that "sit at his cumputer all day annoying people".

Well, I feel I should throw a little defense umc's way as well... I haven't really seen stuff from him was terribly off topic, nor annoying. icon_smile.gif And if anyone would complain about something, it would be me. Perhaps I'm just more patient about wading through forum posts. I just skip over the stuff I'm not interested in. It doesn't have anything to do with being broadband or dialup for me.

Some folks treat this place as a casual social gathering, where we can either discuss important issues - or just chit chat and shoot the breeze for a while. I don't see the harm in it. Unless the posts are obviously there just to annoy people or start flames, I don't think that anyone should be punished or banned or whatever. Just skip their posts.

Perhaps you'd like to check out the complaint department thread... it is 5 pages long and full of pointless stuff. icon_smile.gif I believe umc and I have both added our fair share of crap to that thread.

toe.gif

Click the Toe...  and please stop confusing your opinion with fact, ok?

quote:

Well, I feel I should throw a little defense umc's way as well... I haven't really seen stuff from him was terribly off topic, nor annoying. icon_smile.gif And if anyone would complain about something, it would be me. Perhaps I'm just more patient about wading through forum posts. I just skip over the stuff I'm not interested in. It doesn't have anything to do with being broadband or dialup for me.

Some folks treat this place as a casual social gathering, where we can either discuss important issues - or just chit chat and shoot the breeze for a while. I don't see the harm in it. Unless the posts are obviously there just to annoy people or start flames, I don't think that anyone should be punished or banned or whatever. Just skip their posts.

Perhaps you'd like to check out the complaint department thread... it is 5 pages long and full of pointless stuff. icon_smile.gif I believe umc and I have both added our fair share of crap to that thread.

toe.gif

quote:

You are corrct. Thats why I would like to see a killfile/ignore user option added to the forums. Obviously some people enjoy reading the same stuff that annoys the crap out of others. A killfile is a much better solution then banning a user from posting (who would likely just post the same crap under a new name if banned). It would be better discussed in the thread: Can I have my killfiles now? in the geocaching.com forum. Maybe if more then 3 people requested this feature, it could get added to the (long I'm sure!) "todo" list of things to improve this already great site.

quote:
Originally posted by Cape Cod Cacher:

Just think of the guy at the bar that ALWAYS has something to say, ala Cliff Clavin... It's a bit annoying and you'll never be taken seriously if you have anything of value to say in the future.

Using your analogy, you might also say that he could become one of the regular folks that people get used to seeing, a 'regular' who we sometimes enjoy hearing stupid things from if he so chooses. Heh... it is funny that someone would get worked up over his posts so much that they'd want to ban him.

The killfile idea is good, for those who want it - and I don't see anything wrong with that. But geeze, until then - just ignore posts that you (pipedreamer) aren't interested in. It isn't hard to figure out.

toe.gif

And don't forget that Criminal, you never know if you'll get good advice or a load of crap. icon_rolleyes.gif

I was attacked for either not being serious enough or having a different opinion from some certain "doctors". Here's the thread and how I dealt with it.

The bottom line is we will never all see eye to eye about everything. Like Rodney King said (after they beat the snot out of him) "Can't we all just get along!?"

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

And don't forget that Criminal, you never know if you'll get good advice or a load of crap. icon_rolleyes.gif

I was attacked for either not being serious enough or having a different opinion from some certain "doctors". Here's the thread and how I dealt with it.

The bottom line is we will never all see eye to eye about everything. Like Rodney King said (after they beat the snot out of him) "Can't we all just get along!?"

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

I thought the whole idea of this was entertainment though I know there is a few full time Geocachers out there. Who cares if some notes are a little off topic. They're all from people with something in common. Geocaching! The complaint dept. thread may have gotten way of topic but it sure helped get me through one hell of a otherwise crappy day. Thanks for that (UMC included).

Lighten up!

It's called "flooding."

However, everything I've read of "umc," so far, has been really tame. Try yahoo.com's news boards and see how you fare. It's not pretty by any means.

Thoughts on killfiles: Yeah, they work, but you still end up reading the replies to the killfilee and wonder what they said to ellicit that response. I've long ago learned to just skim over the posts and read what I want. Plus, with a web-based forum, it can only put more of a burden on the already over-taxed servers.

Thoughts on banning: After admining a few forums in the past, I can tell you it's almost impossible to ban someone--not in an environment such as this. You ban the username, he just gets another one. Ban the email address, he uses another one. Ban the IP address, he use anonymity. ...and so on, and so on.

This is not to mention the tons of extra work on the admins part to implement the killfile scheme. Or, the extra work of moderating the forums for "bad people."

...and I know for a fact but I think a killfilter would put extra burdens on the servers--not something I would want to do as it stands at the moment. icon_wink.gif

Plus, implementing a scheme to keep people out will only encourage them more to get back in. It would become a war. I'd rather the powers-that-be work on more features of geocaching, not be stuck moderating forums.

I speak from experience, believe me.

CR

It's called "flooding."

However, everything I've read of "umc," so far, has been really tame. Try yahoo.com's news boards and see how you fare. It's not pretty by any means.

Thoughts on killfiles: Yeah, they work, but you still end up reading the replies to the killfilee and wonder what they said to ellicit that response. I've long ago learned to just skim over the posts and read what I want. Plus, with a web-based forum, it can only put more of a burden on the already over-taxed servers.

Thoughts on banning: After admining a few forums in the past, I can tell you it's almost impossible to ban someone--not in an environment such as this. You ban the username, he just gets another one. Ban the email address, he uses another one. Ban the IP address, he use anonymity. ...and so on, and so on.

This is not to mention the tons of extra work on the admins part to implement the killfile scheme. Or, the extra work of moderating the forums for "bad people."

...and I know for a fact but I think a killfilter would put extra burdens on the servers--not something I would want to do as it stands at the moment. icon_wink.gif

Plus, implementing a scheme to keep people out will only encourage them more to get back in. It would become a war. I'd rather the powers-that-be work on more features of geocaching, not be stuck moderating forums.

I speak from experience, believe me.

CR

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:just ignore posts that you (pipedreamer) aren't interested in.

Here's the deal: During those lucky few times I get to spend a few minutes on the forums, I notice maybe a half-dozen topics that I have been following or are interested in reading. But in order to see what's new, I have to OPEN each one and wait for it all to load. Then I find that instead of geocaching-related posts, there are 30 or 40 stupid, off-topic one-liners from the likes of umc. "Nothing there of interest, move along", you say. But meanwhile I've spent 20 minutes reading through it all. Huge waste of time and now my time online is used up.

umc is obviously starved for attention, he's been here 12 days and churned out over 350 posts in that time. That's over 30 posts PER DAY and I've seen very few that are even remotely on-topic. Pathetic. And I stick to my opinion that is is also abuse of the geocaching forums.

quote:
Originally posted by Eric K:

I swear that d*mn thing just winked at me!

icon_smile.gif Yeah - the unblinking stare proved to be too much for some folks to take. Although, the new and improved blinking toe might actually a little bit MORE disturbing.

Someone in another thread says that if you use Opera as your browser, the toe will blink twice and the eyes will just vanish - leaving two gaping black holes where the eyes should be. icon_eek.gif

But yeah, I tried to time the blinks so that someone would see it blink out of the corner of their eye - then they'd stare at it a couple seconds to see if it would blink again... and then they'd start reading again, right as it blinked another couple of times. Kinda catching folks off guard. icon_smile.gif

toe.gif <-- abuse of the forums by excessive replying, whining, and babbling.

quote:
Originally posted by Eric K:

I swear that d*mn thing just winked at me!

icon_smile.gif Yeah - the unblinking stare proved to be too much for some folks to take. Although, the new and improved blinking toe might actually a little bit MORE disturbing.

Someone in another thread says that if you use Opera as your browser, the toe will blink twice and the eyes will just vanish - leaving two gaping black holes where the eyes should be. icon_eek.gif

But yeah, I tried to time the blinks so that someone would see it blink out of the corner of their eye - then they'd stare at it a couple seconds to see if it would blink again... and then they'd start reading again, right as it blinked another couple of times. Kinda catching folks off guard. icon_smile.gif

toe.gif <-- abuse of the forums by excessive replying, whining, and babbling.

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

Fortunately, these forums aren't actually on the same servers as the rest of geocaching.com; they're rented from Infopop. So the implementation would be on Infopop's shoulders, not Jeremy's. And the server load would also be on Infopop's shoulders.

It's sort of a moot point, though: I think I read somewhere that Jeremy had already requested killfile functionality and been loudly ignored by the powers that be at Infopop. On the other hand, maybe I just hallucinated that...

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

Fortunately, these forums aren't actually on the same servers as the rest of geocaching.com; they're rented from Infopop. So the implementation would be on Infopop's shoulders, not Jeremy's. And the server load would also be on Infopop's shoulders.

It's sort of a moot point, though: I think I read somewhere that Jeremy had already requested killfile functionality and been loudly ignored by the powers that be at Infopop. On the other hand, maybe I just hallucinated that...

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by VentureForth:

...Just please be a bit more respectful of other's bandwidth. Thank you.

Just one more example of how life is better with broadband.

BTW, umc, maybe it's because I'm always browsing at ~1 Mbps or better, but I have never had a problem with your posts...actually, I've never noticed most of the ones these folks are apparently complaining about...unlike the babblings of one or two users, who shall remain nameless, who post far fewer but far more annoying things that always seem to leap out at me before I can avert my eyes. icon_mad.gif

Where's that complaint dept...? grr!

ApK

quote:
Originally posted by VentureForth:

...Just please be a bit more respectful of other's bandwidth. Thank you.

BTW, umc, maybe it's because I'm always browsing at ~1 Mbps or better, but I have never had a problem with your posts...actually, I've never noticed most of the ones these folks are apparently complaining about...unlike the babblings of one or two users, who shall remain nameless, who post far fewer but far more annoying things that always seem to leap out at me before I can avert my eyes. icon_mad.gif

Where's that complaint dept...? grr!

ApK

quote:
Originally posted by ApK:

BTW, umc, maybe it's because I'm always browsing at ~1 Mbps or better, but I have never had a problem with your posts...actually, I've never noticed most of the ones these folks are apparently complaining about...

ApK

Well, ya gotta watch out for those folks with the 3-letter usernames. Somethin' ain't right with them folks. icon_razz.gif

toe.gif

quote:

BTW, umc, maybe it's because I'm always browsing at ~1 Mbps or better, but I have never had a problem with your posts...actually, I've never noticed most of the ones these folks are apparently complaining about...

ApK

Well, ya gotta watch out for those folks with the 3-letter usernames. Somethin' ain't right with them folks. icon_razz.gif

toe.gif

The blinking toe is WAY more disturbing icon_smile.gif I laughed at the other one, this one gives me heebee jeebees.

I don't spend a lot of time worrying about who posts what. My advices is to hope for some sort of killfile functionality someday and just let it go. I think you're getting too worked up over it pipedreamer.

However - if umc does spend a lot of time on the forums or site every day, I highly encourage them to become a member. But off topic posts like the "Get me to 300" thread could be marked appropriately with OT: or something. I thought he was talking about 300 caches or I wouldn't have even loaded the thread.

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

icon_smile.gif ... Although, the new and improved blinking toe might actually a little bit MORE disturbing...

--------

trippy1976

migo_sig_logo.jpg

The blinking toe is WAY more disturbing icon_smile.gif I laughed at the other one, this one gives me heebee jeebees.

I don't spend a lot of time worrying about who posts what. My advices is to hope for some sort of killfile functionality someday and just let it go. I think you're getting too worked up over it pipedreamer.

However - if umc does spend a lot of time on the forums or site every day, I highly encourage them to become a member. But off topic posts like the "Get me to 300" thread could be marked appropriately with OT: or something. I thought he was talking about 300 caches or I wouldn't have even loaded the thread.

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

icon_smile.gif ... Although, the new and improved blinking toe might actually a little bit MORE disturbing...

--------

trippy1976

migo_sig_logo.jpg

As someone else that probably posts here more than I should, I even think umc could tone down a little.

umc is just having fun, not intentionally hurting anyone, although even I thought a new thread to get to 300 was a little overboard. Maybe that's another reason for an off-topic forum?

umc, just try to balance your fun posts with your relevant ones. I know it's not easy!

Women are like guns, keep one around long enough and you're going to want to shoot it.

quote:

Not to comment on any particular user, but the issue isn't the bandwidth of your internet connection, it's the bandwidth of your eyes that's the real limiting factor.

I'm on dial-up and use Mozilla.

I load a few pages [tabs] and read the first while some additional pages load in the background.

If I used a OC-96 line [5 Gb/s](like the ones that make up much of the backbone of the internet) I still couldn't read any faster. Don't go here.

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

Nope, I didn't hallucinate it: http://community.infopop.net/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=729094322&f=051093422&m=3953060155

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Ramness570:

Pipedreamer, are you even a cacher? Your profile shows you registered in May 2002 and you have 0 finds and 0 hides… Do you not post finds? Do you have another Username in which you use to log hides/finds? Or are you just a spectator whining from the peanut gallery?

I have never physically found a cache and probably never will. However I do go with my grandsons on caches and wait in the van and talk to them by 2-way radio. I still enjoy the sport that way it's fun to hear their excited chatter over the radio, then their happiness at finding it. They describe the contents to me over the radio. I also post my grandson's finds for them since they dont have internet acess at home.

WHOA! That Toe did blink at me. Talk about chills down the spine,,, icon_razz.gif.

I have to put my 2 cents in as well and say that while i find that its hard to believe that someone doesnt have anything better to do with their day, it doesnt bother me that umc spends it here posting to the forums. My computer and online dialup connection with good ole AOL has to be slower than Pipe's, but everything still loads in good time.. More posts doesnt slow things down much at all over here. I either scan right over the posts that arent to my liking or hit the go back button.

WHOA! That Toe did blink at me. Talk about chills down the spine,,, icon_razz.gif.

I have to put my 2 cents in as well and say that while i find that its hard to believe that someone doesnt have anything better to do with their day, it doesnt bother me that umc spends it here posting to the forums. My computer and online dialup connection with good ole AOL has to be slower than Pipe's, but everything still loads in good time.. More posts doesnt slow things down much at all over here. I either scan right over the posts that arent to my liking or hit the go back button.

quote:
Originally posted by brdad:

pipedreamer, while I don't necessarily agree with your opinion here, if what you say is true, what you are doing for your grandkids is truly honorable.

Thanks, but it's not really. I have them after school since their parents work till 6. I'd rather they get outdoors in the fresh air rather than play videogames all afternoon. But thank you for saying that anyway.

Ok, I'm back and all caught up. icon_wink.gif

One comment I want to make is that my posts may have been many but I can tell you this not one of them was a flame (until you came along). My posts have been harmless and for the most part I have helped out where I could whether others see it that way or not. For the rest of my posts where I wasn't helping someone, YES, I was having some fun with the great community here.

If you have something to say PipeDreamer you could have come up with a more clever way of doing it other than coming here and Flaming me in the other thread and then starting your own.

That kind of behavior is just plain silly. You started this flame fest because you don't like the fact that I have more posts than you or something and don't know how to ignore them. Boy O boy once we work our way through this silliness I will have no problem ignoring your posts and you but next time if you have something to say try saying it to the person you have issue with first opposed to flaming them in a public forum because it just shows what an arse you are.

I would have had no problem chatting with you about your issues but you started calling me names and flying off the handle for what is to me NO reason.

Take all that aggression of yours and put it to something useful other than putting down others.

Let it be known that you approached this situation ALL WRONG.

"If you have a topic that doesn't quite fit anywhere else, post it here."

That is what it says under the General topic link. I have tried to put OT but darn it all I missed the boat on one or two of those and will pay closer attention in the future. Further more I have seen the decline of forums that have put a OT section for things of the OT nature and believe me that would be a bad idea for here.

Anyway I am done rambling in this thread for now and think I will take myself on over to the complaint department where you maybe should have started off PipeDreamer.

Maybe I will see you there. icon_biggrin.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Ok, I'm back and all caught up. icon_wink.gif

One comment I want to make is that my posts may have been many but I can tell you this not one of them was a flame (until you came along). My posts have been harmless and for the most part I have helped out where I could whether others see it that way or not. For the rest of my posts where I wasn't helping someone, YES, I was having some fun with the great community here.

If you have something to say PipeDreamer you could have come up with a more clever way of doing it other than coming here and Flaming me in the other thread and then starting your own.

That kind of behavior is just plain silly. You started this flame fest because you don't like the fact that I have more posts than you or something and don't know how to ignore them. Boy O boy once we work our way through this silliness I will have no problem ignoring your posts and you but next time if you have something to say try saying it to the person you have issue with first opposed to flaming them in a public forum because it just shows what an arse you are.

I would have had no problem chatting with you about your issues but you started calling me names and flying off the handle for what is to me NO reason.

Take all that aggression of yours and put it to something useful other than putting down others.

Let it be known that you approached this situation ALL WRONG.

"If you have a topic that doesn't quite fit anywhere else, post it here."

That is what it says under the General topic link. I have tried to put OT but darn it all I missed the boat on one or two of those and will pay closer attention in the future. Further more I have seen the decline of forums that have put a OT section for things of the OT nature and believe me that would be a bad idea for here.

Anyway I am done rambling in this thread for now and think I will take myself on over to the complaint department where you maybe should have started off PipeDreamer.

Maybe I will see you there. icon_biggrin.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg