Knives in caches?

We found a cache last week that had two small new "Swiss Army" type knives in it, along with a few other goodies. My wife couldn't decide which one she wanted more! I was pleasantly surprised.

I know that the general consensus seems to be "no", but I for one (and especially my wife) think they are great finds. Obviously, the style matters (nothing large or blatant), but small Swiss Army type knives are great.

According to TPTB, knives in caches aren't allowed. Ya never know, a prison road crew could find the cache and use the knife to attack their guard icon_rolleyes.gif .

I will continue to leave Swiss Army "multi-tools" in caches however.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on April 28, 2003 at 04:15 AM.]

I just picked up 10 swiss army style <strikethru>knives</strikethru> tools from the dollar store for $5. Whatever will I do with them? icon_rolleyes.gif

Wait... here's some context. Let's read a page from The Little Engine That Could

quote:
And there were cars full of toy engines, airplanes, tops, jackknives, picture puzzles, and every kind of thing boys or girls could want.

(emphasis added)

I'd better make sure I don't mention them in my cache logs, though.

WWJD? JW RTFM.

quote:
Originally posted by travisl:

I just picked up 10 swiss army style <strikethru>knives</strikethru> tools from the dollar store for $5. Whatever will I do with them? icon_rolleyes.gif

Wait... here's some context. Let's read a page from _The Little Engine That Could_

quote:
And there were cars full of toy engines, airplanes, tops, _jackknives_, picture puzzles, and every kind of thing boys or girls could want.

(emphasis added)

I'd better make sure I don't mention them in my cache logs, though.

_WWJD? JW RTFM._

I used a pocket knife for whittling when I was a Cub Scout, and I was only 8 years old.

Ken Akerman (a.k.a. Highpointer)

quote:
And there were cars full of toy engines, airplanes, tops, jackknives, picture puzzles, and every kind of thing boys or girls could want.

Kids with jackknives? How horrible! No wonder there is so much violence in our society. This book only encourages it. It must be banned!

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Kids with jackknives? How horrible! No wonder there is so much violence in our society. This book only encourages it. It must be banned!

You should also consider hanging the Ten Commandments on the classroom walls.

- From the shallow end of the gene pool. -

quote:
Originally posted by travisl:

Okay, someone has to say it.

Multi-tools from the dollar store? McToys are made better than that, they have less chance of breaking in use.

With all of the discussion about knives/no knives in caches, nobody has yet brought up the question of quality. I have, to my shame, purchased a couple of these tools in the past. They are heavy, the tools bend easily, and the blades don't hold an edge.

I carry an original Leatherman (the multi-tool, not the cacher who goes by that name). But I can't see anyone using these as trade goods on a regular basis.

RichardMoore

www.geocities.com/richardsrunaway

Do they not make the official cub scout knife anymore? When I was little my brother had one as well as all of his cub scout buddies.

As far as the dollar store multi tools, I'd MUCH rather have one of those than a McToy. Even if they only lasted thru one use it would be worth something. I'm always looking for a spare something or other to use in a pinch. I think they're perfectly fine trade items.

--------------------------------

Magellan Meridian GPS

Handspring Visor Deluxe

L.O.S.T. - http://www.kjjeep.com

Well, here's my thought....

I wanted to stock a new cache I was putting out with useful things.

I had acquired a number of "pocket multi tools" (some pliers style, some 'traditional').

Since they were all in their original packaging, which is MORE than child proof (where's a chainsaw when you need one [icon_wink.gif] ), I wasn't to concerned about putting them in there.

The only drawback was that they took up quite a bit of space in the ammo box.

Yes they still offer Official Cub/Boy Scout knives for sale in the catalog. The Cubs can only use knives once they are properly trained and have earned the Tote-N-Chip. Not sure if there is an age requirement or not...

I too would rather see a cheap multi tool in a cache than a McWhatever toy. I carry a Schrade "TOOL" and "Chip". Between the two I can McGuiver(sp?) almost anything.

So my vote is put the multi-tools and small knives in there...you do not have to take one if you don't want to.

In our rural area, apocket knife is as common as a dollar bill. I have never thought twice about seeing or leaving a fold-up pocket knife in a cache. If a child is too young to get a knife on their own or at school, they aren't out caching alone either.

if people want to get upset about something, scream about the idiot leaving cigarrettes in the caches.

Two roads diverged in the woods and I,

I took the one less traveled,

and that is how I found the cache.

BrianSnat:

quote:

Yes, Yes! Banish it to the lad of the ammo boxes!

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

quote:
Originally posted by Divine:

quote:

You should also consider hanging the Ten Commandments on the classroom walls.

- From the shallow end of the gene pool. -

Ya know, a while back Divine and I had a great discussion over the level of paranoia in our country as opposed to others. I'm afraid it is becoming more and more evident that his side of the argument may be closer to the truth.....sigh.

After reading this thread and the others about pocket knives, etc, not having a place in caches, and the reasons given by those that feel that way, Divine, you have my apologies, we are more paranoid about more and more issues that have less and less relevance all the time.

You win, I submit.... I truly do live in a more paranoid society, much to my dissapointment and chagrin.

I am surprised some of these people even manage to leave their houses to do anything, much less Geocache...sheesh.

Divine, where did you say you live again??? LOL.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

I would have to say that I also think you have to be VERY paranoid to think that a knockoff or actual smallest of all swiss army knives is some kind of danger when placed in the "wrong" hands. Sure you could cut yourself, maybe even need a stitch or two, possibly even poke a eye out (if you're really from the shallow end of the gene pool).

But get this now. Our local county parks dept. has banned geocaching in all county parks, and one of the reasons they cited was that they found and confiscated a cache which stated in the log book that one of the ORIGINAL items in the cache was a mini pocket knife. It wasn't even in the cache when they found it. They referred to it as a WEAPON.

With people of this ilk in charge of setting policies which are based on gross exageration, parannoia, and other falsehoods, I guess TPTB may be wiser than some may think for putting such innocent items on the list of no-nos

$1000 Bill geocaching is living in a 30 foot circle

My wife and I picked up a hand full of small knives at the K-Mart going out of business in York, PA while we were down there for a train show earlier this month. After the huge closing/close-out pricing, these things were about the same cost as the dollar store items but they are really nice little knives. Basically, they would be a key chain knife... A small blade, nail file, tweezers, tooth pick and scissors. Nobody has complained yet and they seem to go fast.

Jon.

Shayl.gif

Come visit us on the web!!

The JJ&C Railroad

licking county better ban deadfall, too then. i can hurt you a lot more with a thirty-pound tree limb than with a pocketknife.

and let's not even talk about rocks.

do these people know the definition of weapon?

as a matter of fact, they probably oughta ban me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hey... what's that smell?

Don't most of those 'multi-tools' have at least one knife blade in them?

How many children are out Geocaching without their parents?

I'll bet if the tykes can handle a GPS, they can handle a 'Swiss-army' type knfe, too. Of course, a Croccodile Dundee type knife is another matter (besides, it wouldn't fit!).

quote:

According to TPTB, knives in caches aren't allowed. Ya never know, a prison road crew could find the cache and use the knife to attack their guard icon_rolleyes.gif .

I will continue to leave Swiss Army "multi-tools" in caches however.

_"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues"_ -Abraham Lincoln

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on April 28, 2003 at 04:15 AM.]