Personal cache maps

I noticed in the Geo annoucements that jeremy is working on putting maps right on the hide/seek pages for each state. Does this mean that you will have your very own map where, when you log a cache it will be added to your map or is it just a general map to show all caches?

It would be cool to have a map linked to your profile "like the state maps" to show your finds only... and it would just update itself everytime you log a cache...

Maybe you can do this now and I'm just missing it????

Found the cache but where is that damm GPS?

See You In the Woods!!!

Natureboy1376

quote:
Originally posted by Natureboy1376:

I noticed in the Geo annoucements that jeremy is working on putting maps right on the hide/seek pages for each state.

<snip>

It would be cool to have a map linked to your profile "like the state maps" to show your finds only... and it would just update itself everytime you log a cache...

Not to mention how cool it would be if they weren't just state maps but country maps for each geocaching country! icon_rolleyes.gif

- All you need is a sick mind and a healthy body. -

quote:
Natureboy1376 wrote:

Does this mean that you will have your very own map where, when you log a cache it will be added to your map or is it just a general map to show all caches?

Well, that's how it used to work before the server load got too great, so hopefully the new maps will do that too.

quote:
Divine wrote:

Not to mention how cool it would be if they weren't just state maps but country maps for each geocaching country!

Seconded!

Bill

Man do I miss those white squares! The best I can do now is upload the results of my "Not Found" Pocket Query into Mapsource, but of course it doesn't link to the cache pages. It used to be so great to click on the map and get an instant picture of the caches you'd found. Instant visualization of next weekend's geo-hunt. End of February, 200?....

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.

It seems like a nice to have feature for ExpertGPS would be to generate 'web pages' on the fly when you clicked on a waypoint. Since it is reading in a .gpx file, it should be doable in theory. A feature like this might even get me to try it out. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by solohiker:

I followed someone's suggestion and created my own maps with microsoft streets. I had to perform some cut and paste with EasyGps and Adobe and then some editing in excel, but what else does a geek do for fun?

Geeks do geeky things for fun and leave menial labor to computers.

Use http://gpsbabel.sourceforge.net to convert from either .loc or .gpx to Streets and Trips. It even preserves the linky links.

quote:
Originally posted by solohiker:

I followed someone's suggestion and created my own maps with microsoft streets. I had to perform some cut and paste with EasyGps and Adobe and then some editing in excel, but what else does a geek do for fun?

If you are using Microsoft Streets & Trips, you can use EasyGPS to download the caches. Then use GeoBuddy to convert the .loc file to a comma-delimited file (CSV) which can be directly imported into S&T. The links from the Geocaching home page will take you to the download for GeoBuddy. I tried this the other day, and it works great!

-Junglehair

There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.