Geocaching Permits! What the Heck!

I really hope this doesn't happen. Requiring a permit to hide/hunt a cache. I agree with the people here that when the government gets involved, it just makes things worse.

For example, in Oregon, you used to be able to camp in whichever campground you wanted to. Then, they decided to make it "mandatory" to get a camping permit and you had to "reserve" your camping spot. Of course, everyone in Oregon has their favorite camping spot, so they reserved the spots months and YEARS ahead of time. You could not be in a camping spot without this permit. Now, you can drive through abandoned campgrounds because the people that reserved the spots decided not to camp that weekend, etc. But you could not camp in that spot, because it was reserved. Argh! And if you did camp there, you would be fined.

The state thought it would make it more fair for everyone to have a chance to camp, but instead, it made it 100 times worse. I just imagine that same thing with GeoCaching... icon_confused.gif

Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Snazz..

Which freedom is that? The freedom to place stuff wherever the heck we want, without any regard for the responsibilities of land managers?

The freedom to be self regulated. I don't know of anyone in the sport of geocaching that would just place stuff without regard to others and the land upon which we pay taxes to preserve. It seems to me that the geocaching lot, have respect for the outdoors, and private property and that plenty of self regulation through peer pressure alone is enough. I don't understand your response, "without any regard for the responsibilities of land managers?" How has geocaching impacted anything greater then say hiking, picnicing, camping, ect? Other then what would seem to be nervous "Land Manager" concern's that a geocache might create a path. Big whoop. What are the lands here for, if not to use. I am not saying that I think it is okay for us to jump on our ATV's and destroy the woods to place and or locate our cache's! icon_smile.gif

To answer your question, Yes. To self regulate, and not have to answer to "Big Brother Land Manager", is a good thing. Just leave me and my GPSr alone, okay pal. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm all for permits and a SMALL fee associated with them for a couple of reasons:

1. It provides a legitimate way for you to "get permission" in a (hopefully) consistant manner.

2. It helps to promote and protect the activity in a positive way because caches will be allowed and placed with proper consideration for wildlife and sensitive areas, thereby reducing and hopefully eliminating false accusations against cachers for damage.

3. A SMALL fee makes sense. After all, it costs money to print the permits and to record and manage them. Not to mention time spent IF a problem occurs.

The one problem I do have with the previous example of a cache permit policy is the length of time the permit is valid for... UNLESS there was some way to email in and get a free extension by making a statement that you've checked the cache and it's fine.

As for some of my esteamed fellow cachers who don't like a permit system... in a world were every sensitive area is signed and no cachers do anything stupid, we could do without permits. In the real world, this sport will go one of two ways once it is discovered by each local authority... banned, or permit based. A few local regions will probably not care, but I doubt that will last past the first bad apple... and as they say, one bad apple spoils the bunch.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

I asked the Brighton State Recreation Area folks today if they knew of Geocaching. The Ranger there, and the Secretary had no idea of this sport. Told me to contact the 'Manager' there. I will Monday. They seemed a little worried at first then I explained what a low impact we have, and they seemed to warm up to it more. Time will tell... icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by Team KnuckleHeads on February 20, 2003 at 07:32 AM.]

I contacted the Arkansas Parks and Tourism Department about this very issue. They are supposed to be sending me a final draft of the directive. I'll post here as soon as I get something from them.

The earlier post about the revisions to the directive are correct. The permit has been extended to 1 year.

For example, in Oregon, you used to be able to camp in whichever campground you wanted to. Then, they decided to make it "mandatory" to get a camping permit and you had to "reserve" your camping spot. Of course, everyone in Oregon has their favorite camping spot, so they reserved the spots months and YEARS ahead of time. You could not be in a camping spot without this permit. Now, you can drive through abandoned campgrounds because the people that reserved the spots decided not to camp that weekend, etc. But you could not camp in that spot, because it was reserved. Argh! And if you did camp there, you would be fined.

This happened in MA also with all the state Park camp Grounds ,,, no fun when you drive 4 hours to camp and you find this out after camping there for 20 years.....

See you in the woods!

Natureboy1376