ATTENTION VIRTUAL CACHE LOVERS!!!!!

If you want to keep these all as individual caches just so people can increase their count with convenience, I'd say you are going about this the wrong way. First of all, virtuals tend to be easy since most are statues, plaques or other monuments (again, see Washington DC). Yours seem to be in this category (easy). In fact, I'm guessing it's a stretch to call them "1/1" (alas, there's nothing lower). Instead of having 6 virtuals that should actually be rated as "0.2/0.2" consider bunching them into a group that add up to at least "1/1". Traffic is not your problem, nor is walking two blocks.

Your perspective of not wanting to inconvenience the seekers is, in a way, contrary to the whole concept of geocaching.

quote:
Originally posted by thecachunter:

as you can tell im new to this but i was taken back by your comments about how long suncrush was a member and how many caches they had done and hide so i looked at your profile and it struck me as maybe you got just a bit upset that they had done more in a month than you in a year

*laugh* Hardly. If I wanted to post that many caches in a month, I could go out and find a dozen "interesting places" around town and make virtual caches for them. But like Erik said, quality is better than quantity.

Instead of doing that, I prefer to find nice locations to hide phsyical caches... I've only found one location around here unique enough that I made a virtual cache of it.

And once you've been around longer, you'll understand that most people who place caches don't care about how many they hide in a certain amount of time. And, using someone else's metaphor - we don't like to "water down" the area with lots of virtual caches. icon_smile.gif

--== http://www.bigfoot.com/~rbatina ==--

quote:

hey i think that was a good point maybe the geo gods will see it nah would not happen they are all to busy patting themselves on the back for a game that could run without them and as i said eailer can get u a fine for littering hum maybe a flaw oh well what do u want for something that the creator has only been in it for 2yrs

Ya know, it is interesting that you just suddenly appear and join in on this thread... defending the original poster. One might suspect that you are one in the same, ya know. icon_wink.gif

Lemme see... you've been a member here since... hmmm.... TODAY! *laugh*

I like the diversity of threads addressed by thecachunter

ATTENTION VIRTUAL CACHE LOVERS!!!!! thecachunter Aug 01, 02 11:14 AM

ATTENTION VIRTUAL CACHE LOVERS!!!!! thecachunter Aug 01, 02 11:12 AM

ATTENTION VIRTUAL CACHE LOVERS!!!!! thecachunter Aug 01, 02 11:11 AM

ATTENTION VIRTUAL CACHE LOVERS!!!!! thecachunter Aug 01, 02 11:02 AM

ATTENTION VIRTUAL CACHE LOVERS!!!!! thecachunter Aug 01, 02 09:24 AM

ATTENTION VIRTUAL CACHE LOVERS!!!!! thecachunter Aug 01, 02 09:10 AM

ATTENTION VIRTUAL CACHE LOVERS!!!!! thecachunter Aug 01, 02 08:42 AM

i do not need to make up another name inorder to protect what i preach.. thank you... and by the way who ever it is is just saying the same stuff as bushwacker and dboggny say so maybe people out there see what i was talking about... let this subject rest.. rubber toe what ever u r and

After reading this thread, I wonder if the "Post a Cache" page should be updated to possibly help the "almighty-approvers". icon_smile.gif

I've seen multiple posts where a persons cache was rejected, but after they emailed the cache approvers with a better description, it was approved.

I think there should be an added field that we can use when creating a new cache on this site. It could be labeled "Additional Info for the Cache Approvers". Here, we could give a better, more detailed description that we would NOT want posted on the actual cache page (could include spoilers, what's in the area, etc).

For example, on the reagular cache page, the location might look like a regular cemetary virtual. However, in the "Additional Info", the cache owner could say, "This is a virtual, and Lassie's final resting place is at the coordinates". You wouldn't want to give away on the cache page who or what was burried there, for example.

Make sense?

Brad

quote:
Originally posted by bradtal:

I think there should be an added field that we can use when creating a new cache on this site. It could be labeled "Additional Info for the Cache Approvers". Here, we could give a better, more detailed description that we would NOT want posted on the actual cache page (could include spoilers, what's in the area, etc).

Very good idea... especially on the virtual caches. I imagine that most of the submitted virtual caches are pretty cryptic to those approving them. Well, at least the ones that have the resulting location as being the "find".

Not needed so much when the people tell you "you are looking for a plaque" or "this virtual cache is a bridge" heh

quote:

After reading this thread, I wonder if the "Post a Cache" page should be updated to possibly help the "almighty-approvers". icon_smile.gif

I've seen multiple posts where a persons cache was rejected, but after they emailed the cache approvers with a better description, it was approved.

For example, on the reagular cache page, the location might look like a regular cemetary virtual. However, in the "Additional Info", the cache owner could say, "This is a virtual, and Lassie's final resting place is at the coordinates". You wouldn't want to give away on the cache page who or what was burried there, for example.

Make sense?

Brad

I agree. I received the same email about "going out & buying ammo boxes" too & felt highly annoyed, but I do get an idea of the sentiment behind it, namely that they want VC to be unique and interesting. Some are neither one. Unfortunately, we run into the same problem here as with the locationless ones, where Admin approves something was is admitedly a marginal cache, then someone else submits something along the same lines, is refused, and the cry is "But you approved THAT cache" why not mine?

Unfortunately, once something is approved, when the winds shift later on as to what admin wants to see or not see as a VC or LC, the older, lesser desireable (by Admin standards) still exist, which makes it a total catch-22.

As a cacher who has launched some really really BAD caches, both VC & LC, I'll be the first to say that there does need to be a standard of some sort. Does the admin of this site have the final say? Of course they do, but you must remember that, even though there is no fee to particpate, we are in essense, their customers. Establishing rules and following them is one thing. Acting hoity toity & being mean spirited is never warranted or appropriate. That just is bad customer service.

I think the previous suggestion of an "for admin info" only is incredibly useful for the reasons already stated by the original poster. I can definately think of some cases where I would've loved to tell them what was up so they understood better but couldn't, and subsequently had to explain & defend it when it was rejected.

As someone who also seeks & places higher # of VC then most others, let me just say that not all of us have the time & energy to go out to some of the real caches, so VC are a welcome alternative. I have tried to place real caches whenever possible if I'm trying to show someone something unique & interesting, but it ain't always possible. Let's not bash VC because they're just as legit as real ones. Also please don't bash people who seek or hide more VCs then real caches. Different strokes for different folks.

alt.jpg

www.gpswnj.com

quote:

ok i will stay late with the teach but u can explain to the pd in your area about why you sponser the litteringof parks and such under the front of a game

What are you trying to say? I don't understand you.

This user is using an AOL account but is using their cable modem from Comcast (In New Jersey). Kind of unusual for an AOL user.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
Originally posted by Dru Morgan:

"Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out."

Sorry to be pedantic, but there's only one thing that annoys me more than unattributed quotations, and that's unattributed *mis*quotations. The above comes from an excellent essay called The Real Romance in the Stars by Richard Dawkins, except what he actually said was: 'There's this thing called being so open-minded your brains drop out.'

You can read it here:

http://www.skepdic.com/essays/dawkins.html

quote:

I think there should be an added field that we can use when creating a new cache on this site. It could be labeled "Additional Info for the Cache Approvers". Here, we could give a better, more detailed description that we would NOT want posted on the actual cache page (could include spoilers, what's in the area, etc

Brad

Excellent idea! I'm glad the between the trolls and the troll bashers, some people actually respond to the topic with insightful comments.

Another option is to place the additional information in the cache description with a note for the approvers to delete everything between ***NOTE TO APPROVER*** and ***END NOTE TO APPROVER*** before posting the cache.

25021_1200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Dru Morgan:

"Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out."

quote:
Originally posted by SimonG:

Sorry to be pedantic, but there's only one thing that annoys me more than unattributed quotations, and that's unattributed *mis*quotations. The above comes from an excellent essay called The Real Romance in the Stars by Richard Dawkins, except what he actually said was: 'There's this thing called being so open-minded your brains drop out.'

You can read it here:

http://www.skepdic.com/essays/dawkins.html

It was also a song lyric by Christian rocker Steve Taylor in the song Whatcha Gonna Do When Your Number's Up? in 1982, only it was

quote:
You're so open-minded that your brains leaked out.

25021_1200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

What are you trying to say? I don't understand you.

This user is using an AOL account but is using their cable modem from Comcast (In New Jersey). Kind of unusual for an AOL user.

Hmmmmmm..... very unusual... now who around here uses AOL from their cable modem here in NJ? Funny, I noticed that EXACT same situation just today...now where was it?

/me scratches his head

Illegitimus non carborundum!

This cache is in a Minneapolis park that is rich in history--it uses historical items in the park to answer questions, then one uses the answers to the questions to determine the coordinates for the final physical cache. As far as your argument that your virtual caches might be too much to include in one multi puzzle cache, this cache took me three visits over two days to finally complete, and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. 15T

Think Globally, Act Locally