Urban Stealth Technique

Here's a stealth technique that might work well with an etrex or gecko with the built-in active compass, or an etrex or gecko without the compass, but with a small compass like the Silva Polaris to use in conjuction.

1. Get a zip-open Bible Cover, the leather kind that looks nice, and is big enough to hold a bible-sized book of some kind.

2. Get a decent sized bible-sized book that fits the leather cover, and cut out a notch that is sized to your gps, preferably in the middle of the book so that the whole thing balances well when held open. Only one notch will be required for a gps with an active compass.

2a. Cut out two notches side-by-side for a gps and regular compass if the gpsr doesn't have an active compass. Cut the notches far enough apart to keep the compass from being affected by the metal parts in the gps.

3. If you want to be ultra-stealthy, find a bible at a used bookstore, and cut the notches out of that. The purpose here is to be stealthy, so if you want to be the most effective, follow this instruction and don't gawk and having to make cut-out notches in the book.

4. If you just can't cut up the "Lord's Word," then use some other book, perhaps a dictionary--something with double columns on each page like a bible does. The leather cover can have a Cross or some other religious motif on it, although I'd avoid a pentacle, whether upright or inverted. This will only draw unnecessary attention, and this is not what is desired.

5. Dress up in your sunday best--if it's sunday--or in some nice clothes, the kind you might wear to a church social or other "churchy" function.

6. Put the GPS or GPS/Compass combination into the bible, or other book, turn on your gpsr, get a satellite fix, and set your GOTO, and you're off!

Since this is primarily an Urban Stealth Technique, (I figure most people aren't going to worry about this kind of thing "in the woods"), just walking normally along the sidewalk with your open "bible," and occasionally glancing down, shouldn't draw any more attention than anyone else doing the same thing any other day of the week, although this would work especially well on sunday .

7. A Quick Suggestion: Actually read some of the material in the book occasionally, not have the bible/book open to where the gps or gps/compass is visible, so as to "lend an air of authenticity" to your endeavors, and to keep possible "stray eyes" from seeing what you have.

8. As a final matter, because of the need for helical (quadrifilar helix) antennas to be at or near-vertical for best reception, I would limit this technique to gpsr models like the vista or gecko series from Garmin with patch antennas that receive best while held in the flat position.

I hope this technique is helpful. As I do not have a Vista yet (my next model will be), I have not tried this technique. Perhaps some of you will try this out. If so, please post it here, or at tqfishe@chartermi.net. I'm eager to hear from you.

DISCLAIMER: This is a suggested technique. Being stealthy requires a certain degree of understanding, intellect, common sense, and experience to employ effectively. This suggestion is intended for general information only and the poster, Firefishe, waves any and all responsibility if someone uses this technique in a way that might cause harm to him or herself. Be smart, check your location, and For God's Sake, please don't place caches near police stations or federal buildings, it's just not smart! icon_biggrin.gif

That said, happy caching icon_cool.gif

...Caching In on the Journey

{--Firefishe--}

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

---------------------------

The year is 2003.

The name is S.A. Brown.

BrowNAV (Brown Navigation)

---------------------------

Good idea. For extra credit, you could mess up your hair and clothes and mutter under your breath. This could work with all kinds of books - a volume of the Warren Commission Report comes to mind. Or, even better, carry your GPS in a wadded up clear plastic bag, and talk to it loudly. People are guaranteed to steer clear icon_razz.gif

I'm just goofing. It really is a good idea.

quote:
Originally posted by Firefishe:

I would limit this technique to gpsr models like the vista or gecko series from Garmin with patch antennas that receive best while held in the flat position.

Heh, these models may even benefit from the Divine Intervention! Perhaps a prayer as well.

quote:

I hope this technique is helpful.

WOAH! You are too good for this place. That is so stealthy that you have to be some sort of 007 type don'cha?

But, here is a possible add on for you... If, despite all that you have already suggested, people are still showing interest, you could reach into pocket or pack and pull out the stage two 'hold 'em off' - a bundle of literature that looks like the sort of thing that you might be about to hand out..... I am considering the concept of marketing the 'Ultimate Keep Em Back' - "The Inflatable Collection Can"!

Only nuts eat squirrels,

Snake

Why don't you just stick the gps up to your ear and pretend to be talking? When you are looking at the display poke it with your finger like you are dialing a phone.

Walking around carrying an open bible seems conspicuous to me. Everyone will notice you then.

"Hey did you see the guy on his cell phone? No, but there was a guy with a bible who hid something in those bushes."

Tell ya what's worked for me when it comes to Urban Stealth. I bought one of those plastic clip boards at Staples which has a compartment built in to hold pencils and papers. The clip board is about two inches thick. The top is hinged and acts as a lid for he compartment beneath. I took an exacto knife and notched out a hole just large enough for my GPSV to be seated in.

When ever I have to do a cache in public view (Such as STUCK IN THE MIDDLE in Indiana which is in the middle of a Round a Bout) I don my orange Geocaching cap and grab the clip board. Then with a pencil in one hand I walk around holding hte clip board and looking at the GPS. To the casual viewer it simply looks like I'm surveying, taking notes or possibly reading a meter. In short -- it looks like I have a purpose and people ignore me.

There was a great line in the movie the "The Paper".

"A clipboard and the proper attitude will get you in anywhere."

I simply put a spin on the idea.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

I work as an underground utility locator. I "blend" into the surroundings with my orange vest and equipment and GPSr. Nobody seems to pay attention to me looking in bushes, under leaves, etc. I also can come up with some good reasons what I'm doing if someone does ask.

"Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around." Calvin of Calvin & Hobbes

quote:

Be smart, check your location, and For God's Sake, please don't place caches near police stations or federal buildings, it's just not smart! icon_biggrin.gif

A local microcache about 20-30 miles away is very near a fire station. However, the firemen know about it, and are entertained by the people looking for it. Instructions on the page tell "if you see a firefighter, thank them for all they've done."

I'm tempted to plant one near another fire station simply for that purpose -- to give them something/someone to laugh at!

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

For one of my caches here in Macon you have to read a laminated sheet of paper stapled under a boadrwalk in a very populated park. One of it finders told me when they got to the cache, they pulled out a clipboard and tape measure and started measuring the boardwalk.

Happy Hunting icon_smile.gif

-Amazingracer

If war protesters don't believe in violence what would they do if we punched them in the nose?

I've used the tape measure trick myself a few times. It works well. I've never held the GPSr to my ear and probably never will. It's sort of a personal challenge to myself to always find some other way. Mostly I try to turn the tables around and make everyone believe that I'm the one who really belongs there.

I've never had to pass my eTrex Venture off as a cell phone yet, but I'm sure someday I will. I tend to hunt caches mostly in suburban park environments where there are people jogging, walking dogs, etc. I don't worry so much about walking down a well-defined trail with my GPSr out in front leading the way. What I do worry about is when I have to leave the trail, but the cache location is still visible *from* the trail. I can only imagine what all the joggers think I must be doing off over there in the woods, wandering around in circles looking at tree stumps... icon_wink.gif

---

Grove City College