Jointly Owned Caches?

There has been a lot of controversy over caches placed at a distance. Most people seem to agree that the main problem is maintenance. There are some caches that have been placed by groups of cachers, but only one account can "own" the page. I was thinking that if it were possible for caches to be owned jointly, this would open a whole new realm of possibilities. People could collaborate on multi state mulicaches. This would also enable visitors to share a location with local cachers and help solve the maintenance problems. The local cacher would get the email for cache logs without "watching" the cache page. I have no idea what this would involve in terms of implementation, but it seems like a useful feature.

eyes.GIF

"Chock full of essential vitamins and waypoints"

quote:
Originally posted by smenzel:

Please forgive the newbie question but, with the exception of a virtual cache, why would you want to own a cache that you can't visit regularly to maintain?

Doesn't the responsibility of owning a cache include maintaining it?

Yes, it absolutely does. I was asking about situations wherein the cache might have multiple stages spanning a long distance, and maintained by more than one person. The people nearest to a given stage would take care of that one, and ought to have access to the cache page editor to make changes as conditions warrant.

eyes.GIF

quote:
Originally posted by BloenCustoms:

I was asking about situations wherein the cache might have multiple stages spanning a long distance, and maintained by more than one person. The people nearest to a given stage would take care of that one, and ought to have access to the cache page editor to make changes as conditions warrant.

Why couldn't you create a team name, place the cache using that account, and give the password to all parties needing to exercise control over the cache?

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

Bloen this does sound familiar... icon_biggrin.gif

But I will stay out of this one and sit back for a little while and see what is said before posting remarks for it.

Brian

_As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump_

Yeah, Woodsters. I mean actually have access to the page from multiple accounts. Not merely "giving credit" to the other participants in the placement.

[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by BloenCustoms:

There has been a lot of controversy over caches placed at a distance. Most people seem to agree that the main problem is maintenance. There are some caches that have been placed by groups of cachers, but only one account can "own" the page. I was thinking that if it were possible for caches to be owned jointly, this would open a whole new realm of possibilities. People could collaborate on multi state mulicaches. This would also enable visitors to share a location with local cachers and help solve the maintenance problems. The local cacher would get the email for cache logs without "watching" the cache page. I have no idea what this would involve in terms of implementation, but it seems like a useful feature.

http://angelfire.com/pro/bloen/images/eyes.GIF

This is being done. CCCooperagency is doing the Happy series via making deals with locals in other states where they place the cache and maintain it and she pretty much takes care of the cache, the trade goods and will replace it if plundged. Gem State Happy is the one I placed.

Bloen, this all somewhat of what I was describing on the distant caches on the thread I got bashed on. There is no difference in what the ones that Renegade were referring to, do, than from what I was asking about, with the exception of I was speaking of the cache would not be in my name and would be owned by the local cacher. And I was talking about placing a cache in an area I am very familiar with and in my hometown(although I do not reside there now). Of course they would register the cache and it would be in their name and their responsibility. Now it would be nice if they mentioned me in the cache description, but it wouldn't be necessary. icon_wink.gif

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

[This message was edited by Woodsters Outdoors on July 14, 2003 at 04:52 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

Bloen, this all somewhat of what I was describing on the distant caches on the thread I got bashed on.

Brian

You know what, I read most of that original thread and I had no idea that this was your situation. Your posts were so long and there were so many of them that the point was lost.

Brevity is the key to communication.

george

Wanna go for a ride?

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

You know what, I read most of that original thread and I had no idea that this was your situation. Your posts were so long and there were so many of them that the point was lost.

Brevity is the key to communication.

george

Wanna go for a ride?

That's the problem, people didn't read the whole thing. Actually one posting of mine probably and should of been enough to explain that. But, unfortunately people do not read the whole thing, read only a short posting of someone bashing another and think they understand the thread and jump the band wagon. That thread was extended by at least 2 pages if not more of bashing and bash-defense on my part. The first page and maybe part of the second page pretty much summed up that idea.

Brevity may be the key to communication, but not the key to getting the details across and understood.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

The problem with a team name is that the smiley face goes to the team. If three people develop, set and maintain a cache, then three people should be able to claim the hide.

But maybe the PTB are already working on this option? icon_biggrin.gif

Care the Deception of Imitative Administrator