Oh, no!!!! It's another forum on.........geotrash!!!!!!!

15Tango

There is a cacher in my area that has hidden 27 caches (and he/she has found only 7). These caches are in interesting locations that I would have never even known about, and I'm glad to have discovered these areas, and things about these areas, through geocaching. A pair of 3-cache multicaches in the same area mention bald eagles in the area on the cache pages, and even though I've been to the area before, I never knew about the bald eagles, and it was nice to get to see them in the wild. These caches are also well placed, and in some cases a challenge to get to, even when you do see where the cache is. The problem is is that all these caches are in either glad-ware (what I like to call "glad-wear-out-in-two-weeks-in-the-wild") or ziplock throw away containers. What is a nice way to inform this person that even though his cache site is interesting, the cache itself is crap? I've seen through the logs on some of this person's cache pages that we've diplomatic so far in trying to tell this person that throw away plastic containers don't last two weeks outside in Minnesota, but maybe we've been too diplomatic--we'll mention a broken container becuase glad-ware is crap, and they'll replace it with another glad-ware container. And another thing--the logbooks in these caches is one sheet of notebook paper, and there usually isn't an official notice. Anyhow, I just had to vent about these caches, and would welcome any input on geotrash in this forum. Happy cachin'!!! 15T

www.1800goguard.com

quote:
Originally posted by unclerojelio:

Go out there and fix it yourself. Get a sturdy container, print out the Geocaching notice, buy a suitable logbook and fix the cache.

Just be careful if the replacement container you pick is larger (or more brightly colored) than the original container. It may be more conspicuous than the cache owner originally intended for the cache.

Other than that, yes, a container upgrade would be a great service to the geocaching community.

quote:
Glad-ware's annoying, but as long as he keeps replacing it, I'd leave it up to the cache owner. Replacing the container can come across as a real slap in the face to the owner.
That's why I've been hesitant to replace them myself. Maybe we can also start being less subtle when we complain about the containers in the logs and emails, but how far can you go before you cross the line from making friendly suggestions to becoming the geo-police? The sticky point here is that the person maintains these caches, crappy containers and all. On the other hand, if the person just put glad-ware in the woods and didn't maintain the site, then it would be littering and I would then have no problem adopting the caches and replacing the containers with something more substantial. Happy cachin'!!! 15T

www.1800goguard.com

Get yourself a good CRK (Cache Repair Kit) with Duct Tape, temporary log books, ziplock bags, and a few spare pens and pencils.

That should help it along for a little while.

Then, be sure to advise the owner that their cache is in disrepair, and give them the coordinates to the closest Army/Navy store so they can get an AMMO BOX! icon_biggrin.gif

---------------

Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

Get yourself a good CRK (Cache Repair Kit) with Duct Tape, temporary log books, ziplock bags, and a few spare pens and pencils.

That should help it along for a little while.

Then, be sure to advise the owner that their cache is in disrepair, and give them the coordinates to the closest Army/Navy store so they can get an AMMO BOX! icon_biggrin.gif

---------------

Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

I see the dilemma. He/she is maintaining the cache so they do care about it. Perhaps all he can afford is the glad ware containers.

I know what you are going to say, an ammo can will last forever and over time cost less than constantly replacing the glad wear. But with 27 caches it would be a bit expensive to replace all of them at once.

Since he doesn't have too many finds maybe all of his finds were glad ware and he doesn't know any better. Subtle hints don't work if the basic knowledge isn't there.

I agree with Venture Forth. Give them the name, address, etc. of the local military surplus store. Explain to him the advantages of using a more suitable cache box and then drop it.

They are his caches and if he wants to spend all his caching time fixing his own rather than finding new ones that's his problem.

mgc.jpg

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai

I have to agree with the other posters, at least they maintain the caches, you can send a polite e-mail reccommending ammo cans or something as sturdy like PVC. If they want to spend all of their time maintianing caches than that should be their choice. Hopefully as they find more caches they may catch on to the need for better cache containers.

I can not quote Posts verbatium but I think it has been the cenceus of the community that as long as they are maintaining the caches it would be bad form for you to replace the cache box.

I know if somebody changed one of my cache boxes I be pretty POed and would most likely pull the cache all together. It's thier property and thier responsiblty. So as long as they don't sherk this responsibilty I don't think it is up to the community to physically interfer.

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

I've just been on vacation in Minnesota and did a bunch of these caches. To be honest I didn't mind about the containers or the log book being on a scrap of paper. One of the caches is a just zip lock bag under a rock. A little different from the norm, but a cache and a find as far as I am concerned.

It's like a lot of things in geocaching. If you don't like them, then don't go find them. Your choice.

Alex.

maybe this person just doesnt know any better. some folks are still amazed at the fact that their telephone runs on electricity.

i say a tactful but informative personal email. something along the lines of.. you have some really cool caches out there but i need to fill you in on something about the containers you are using. the sun eats them up and they disintegrate quickly..

play the part of the concerned geo cacher that had it happen to him also.

------------------------------

i dont see the problem with the one page log. my micros have a page or less inside.

urbo

Put a nice log entry in to "give him he hint." The following is NOT an entry I would recommend, nor endorce:

"Found the cache - what a ratty thing it is. Of course, every cache I've ever found by this individual is garbage... I hope he doesn't maintain them like his own personal hygene... buy, I'd hate to be his girl.

Took the keychain, left some tape on the container to patch the holes and keep out water. Also left a five dollar bill so this guy can buy something that doesn't resemble an empty lunch container from hobo land... "

Yes, Folks... this would be a bad log and probably prevent the guy from placing any more caches. So avoid this kind of log entry at al costs... unless you absolutely, positively want to be a dirtbag. icon_eek.gif

Put a nice log entry in to "give him he hint." The following is NOT an entry I would recommend, nor endorce:

"Found the cache - what a ratty thing it is. Of course, every cache I've ever found by this individual is garbage... I hope he doesn't maintain them like his own personal hygene... buy, I'd hate to be his girl.

Took the keychain, left some tape on the container to patch the holes and keep out water. Also left a five dollar bill so this guy can buy something that doesn't resemble an empty lunch container from hobo land... "

Yes, Folks... this would be a bad log and probably prevent the guy from placing any more caches. So avoid this kind of log entry at al costs... unless you absolutely, positively want to be a dirtbag. icon_eek.gif