Help: multi-caches with coordinates found by arithmetic

wcgreen

I'm about to place a cache that requires some simple arithmetic on the previous waypoint to find the next one. Before I post this, I'd like to compare mine to others to see if I've explained it well enough or if I've forgotten some thing. A search on "puzzle" in the discussions doesn't find exactly what I'm looking for.

Could someone point me in the right direction (or at least give me some accurate coordinates?)

wcgreen

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen@eudoramail.com

Here's one that I'm going to try, weather permitting, later this week. The logs seem to indicate it was pretty fun, but the details are sparse on the description page.

Math Quiz

"Man's ability to weasel out of trouble is what separates us from the animals...except weasels, of course." - Homer Simpson

In my experience, a cache that depends on math based on the GPS reading of a location can go astray pretty easily. Specifically if you say "go to the sign that says 'No Parking' then take the last three digits and multiply by 2, then...". Using the minutes is probably safe, unless the fractional minutes are close to rounding up or down.

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge:

In my experience, a cache that depends on math based on the GPS reading of a location can go astray pretty easily. Specifically if you say "go to the sign that says 'No Parking' then take the last three digits and multiply by 2, then...". Using the minutes is probably safe, unless the fractional minutes are close to rounding up or down.

I'm giving seekers the first coordinates and all computation starts with them. Unless they miscalculate, they should always get the coordinates I want for each stage. I had my husband, who doesn't cache, check my computations and walk the stages with me to critique them--he pointed out that I might have to adjust one stage when the leaves fall.

We'll see how it goes....

wcgreen

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen@eudoramail.com