Local Publicity Opportunity

skydiver

This thread is especially directed toward those of you who've dealt with the media doing news reports about geocaching, however anyone with usefull input is obviously encouraged to speak up.

On Wednesday (9/11), several local geocachers and I are meeting with a news correspondent for a local TV station working on a story about geocaching.

My plan is to 'plant' an unpublicized geocache for her to find. It will involve a very short hike in a popular wilderness recreation area ( she doesn't have the time or desire to to anything really extreem). I intend to downplay the 'treasure finding' portion of the hunt, and emphasize 'it's all about the search', respect for the environment, respect for private property, cache maintenance, etc.

If anyobody has any additional suggestions or input, I've love to hear what you have to say before the big event. Thanks!

---------------------------------------

Friends don't let friends NOT geocache.

Hey, skydiver. Best of luck to you. The only thing I might suggest, is that you take her to a relatively easy cache thats nearby & has been out for a while, if one exists. This has been done up here in Rochester,NY. One of our fellow cachers took a news crew to one of my caches, that had been out for about 2 months. The news anchor was given the gps & after a little instruction, they were on there way. When they got to the cache,they enjoyed reading logs left by previous cachers & discovering the types of things they traded. The trinkets were not the major focus, but the anchor got a real kick out of them & made special note of them. Kind of emphasizes the family outing aspect.Of course, our cacher made sure to talk up the "cache in - trash out" policy & the practice of stewardship of the land & respecting the rights of landowners. Really made for a very nice & well put together story. Hope your outing proves to be as successful as ours was. icon_biggrin.gif

"Gimpy"

Hey, skydiver. Best of luck to you. The only thing I might suggest, is that you take her to a relatively easy cache thats nearby & has been out for a while, if one exists. This has been done up here in Rochester,NY. One of our fellow cachers took a news crew to one of my caches, that had been out for about 2 months. The news anchor was given the gps & after a little instruction, they were on there way. When they got to the cache,they enjoyed reading logs left by previous cachers & discovering the types of things they traded. The trinkets were not the major focus, but the anchor got a real kick out of them & made special note of them. Kind of emphasizes the family outing aspect.Of course, our cacher made sure to talk up the "cache in - trash out" policy & the practice of stewardship of the land & respecting the rights of landowners. Really made for a very nice & well put together story. Hope your outing proves to be as successful as ours was. icon_biggrin.gif

"Gimpy"

Good ideas. Thanks. My only concern with using an existing cache is giving away its location to everyone who watches the show. That's why I wanted to plant an unpublicized one just for her, that I'll then remove after we're done. But that's an excellent point about the log book. Maybe I'll borrow the log book from one of my other caches to put in this one so that there's something to read.

Friends don't let friends NOT geocache.

The show aired on the 5:30 and 10:00 news here tonight. Turned out very well, IMHO. I'll see if I can get someone to turn it into an mpeg that we can post for all to view.

Missoula Organization Of Geocachers (MOOG)

MOOG; Unarguably, the coolest geocaching club acronym to date. icon_cool.gif

The show aired on the 5:30 and 10:00 news here tonight. Turned out very well, IMHO. I'll see if I can get someone to turn it into an mpeg that we can post for all to view.

Missoula Organization Of Geocachers (MOOG)

MOOG; Unarguably, the coolest geocaching club acronym to date. icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by skydiver:

http://198.77.157.217/geo_cache_vcd.mpg

The connection this is comming from isn't exactly blazing, so have patience, and maybe try at off hours.

--

31 Megs. Phew! Even at work with a T1 line, I am reluctant to draw the attention of those pesky Network supervisors if download that one.

Any chance of a lo-res one or a compressed one?

Ok.. after about 25 minutes of D/L time, I watched the video. Pretty good, although I have to say that the newscaster was nothing to look at.

Anyway, I liked the family aspect of the hunt. Bringing the little kid was a nice touch. icon_wink.gif And I liked the "college student" comment. icon_smile.gif After the story, when that woman went though the rules of Geocaching etiquette was good, she seemed a bit unsure of herself or something. Maybe she didn't expect it.

I did notice, though... the misspelling of Geocahcing on one of the screens they showed.

I'm surprised, too, that geocaching wasn't hyped up as some sort of crazy sport where all the caches are hidden underwater or on mountaintops. Seems like most media like that aspect of the activity, even though virtually all caches are fairly simple.

Good show.

Jamie

Ok.. after about 25 minutes of D/L time, I watched the video. Pretty good, although I have to say that the newscaster was nothing to look at.

Anyway, I liked the family aspect of the hunt. Bringing the little kid was a nice touch. icon_wink.gif And I liked the "college student" comment. icon_smile.gif After the story, when that woman went though the rules of Geocaching etiquette was good, she seemed a bit unsure of herself or something. Maybe she didn't expect it.

I did notice, though... the misspelling of Geocahcing on one of the screens they showed.

I'm surprised, too, that geocaching wasn't hyped up as some sort of crazy sport where all the caches are hidden underwater or on mountaintops. Seems like most media like that aspect of the activity, even though virtually all caches are fairly simple.

Good show.

Jamie