Adopt a Highway?

Guest Krepism

Guest Krepism

I was thinking about adopting a Highway in the name of the Geocache sport (not geocaching.com unless Jeremy is ok with it) I think it might bring some good attention to the sport. I could place a cache there with garbage bags in it for everyone to help. Would anyone be willing to do this? I would do it anyway but just wanted to get peoples opinion. I would try and pick a location that would be fun for all to visit and help.

Guest koshea

I think it sounds like a good idea... to show that geocachers care about the environment, and don't just "use" it. I don't think there are enough of us yet to get an official stretch of highway (with the sign and all). I think it looks bad on a group if they're assigned a portion and then are unable to keep it clean. It can be a lot of work! Maybe if we could go in with some other group? Not sure how this is done. I would participate in a geocacher cleanup day.

Guest Krepism

It seems pretty simple. We would have to commit to 2 years and 3 visits to clean a year. We could go early spring, mid summer and late fall. This is a legally binding contract, so if I did it, no matter what happens to Geocaching, I would have to clean it up for for the 2 years. Not that I mind, but I really would like the support of our Geocaching conterparts in Utah. With only 3 posts here I dont think people are really ready commit to supporting this sport for 2 years.

COME ON FOLKS, STAND UP AND SAY YEAH OR NAY. WE NEED TO HEAD OFF SOME OF THESE "MATT" AN "NOLITTER" PUKES BEFORE THEY TAKE AWAY AND DETROY OUR FREEDOMS. Time for some "buzz words" LETS BE PROACTIVE AND NOT REACTIVE.

Guest jeremy

First off, you're portraying a rabid minority as a majority opinion. I'm sure other sports (snowboarding, offroading, mountain biking, etc) have the same sort of rabid opposition.

Second, it's a great idea. However, we are still a small group that are scattered around the US. So where do we decide to have this adopt a highway?

Reactive or proactive doesn't have much to do with this. The sport has been around for 10 months now, so there really hasn't been much time to do anything. That, coupled with the fact that this is not a full time job for me I cannot spend much time on PR campaigns. Until I can concentrate more time on this I can only infuse the site with pro-environment messages and encourage folks to clean up after themselves and others.

It actually makes more sense to do trail cleanups than adopt-a-highway. Just volunteer with one of them and announce yourself as a representative of Geocaching.

Jeremy

Guest WrongWay

I think Krep was talking about forming a local Utah group to adopt a highway not the whole GeoCaching contingent.

I don't think anyone is implying "we aren't doing enough", much the opposite, I believe "we can't do too much".

Adopt-a-highway is a bonus because you get a sign with your groups name on it...I always read those and wonder who the heck they are...

The adopt-a-trail idea is a good one. There are several programs around the country...

Colorado: http://www.coloradotrail.org/adopters/adoptatrail.html

Washington: http://www.cfr.washington.edu/facility.pack/hikes/adopt.html

Many more, just search on "adopt a trail".

regards,

Jim