Cache Owners: Do you mark your containers? If so, How?

My wife and I were talking about this on the way home the other night and wondered if Cache-owners marked their boxes.

If your cache container (ammo box) is not marked, what is to stop someone from "finding it", "taking it", and "reusing it as thier own"? There are some stolen and plundered caches out there. I've read some logs where authorities have picked them up, or that were considered abandoned, but these are few. What is stopping someone from snatching an ammo box and changing the contents and rehiding it, or even selling it on Ebay.

Now, we have seen a few with symbols and such on them and We both believe that most people are good, but there are a few bad apples. I am CERTAINLY not pointing any fingers here, everything is hypothetical. Ting and I will be hiding our first cache soon and had not thought about this until recently.

Bear & Ting

I thought I was a little off, then I looked at my GPS and discovered I accurate to 12 ft.

Geocachers don't NEED to ask for directions!

quote:
Originally posted by Bear & Ting:

My wife and I were talking about this on the way home the other night and wondered if Cache-owners marked their boxes.

Mine is a clear Rubbermaid container with "Geocache" written on two sides with pink nail polish. I doubt any rugged ammo box fans would deign to steal it

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen55@hotmail.com

quote:
Originally posted by Bear & Ting:

If your cache container (ammo box) is not marked, what is to stop someone from "finding it", "taking it", and "reusing it as thier own"? There are some stolen and plundered caches out there. I've read some logs where authorities have picked them up, or that were considered abandoned, but these are few. What is stopping someone from snatching an ammo box and changing the contents and rehiding it, or even selling it on Ebay.

The only things stopping someone from taking a cache that I've hidden are: 1) they have to find it to take it, and 2) common decency.

I've had one cache stolen. It's a bummer but that's the breaks. I refuse to spend time and energy worrying about it. There's some fraction of humans who are worthless scum, and if they find a cache, they're going to take it and trash it regardless of how it's marked.

Marking the cache wouldn't help. If someone steals one of my ammo cans, why, they could just peel the sticker off, or they could paint over any markings. I paint ammo cans before I use'em, and the process takes about five minutes and about 50 cents worth of paint (and I buy expensive paint).

I went into MS Word, & made up a page with GEOCACHE in letters of a very large font. Printed a couple out on a heavy weight paper stock & then with an exacto knife type tool, cut out the letters. I spray the ammo can with a coat or 2 of black or green Rustoleum paint, & then with white Rustoleum, spray the lettering on with the homemade stencil. Really works well. Some of my caches have been out well over a year, & they still look great. icon_biggrin.gif

"Gimpy"

I went into MS Word, & made up a page with GEOCACHE in letters of a very large font. Printed a couple out on a heavy weight paper stock & then with an exacto knife type tool, cut out the letters. I spray the ammo can with a coat or 2 of black or green Rustoleum paint, & then with white Rustoleum, spray the lettering on with the homemade stencil. Really works well. Some of my caches have been out well over a year, & they still look great. icon_biggrin.gif

"Gimpy"

A local cacher, Salvo, has put out at least one well-marked cache. The ammo box is plastered with his name, phone number (Um... I think), and the geocaching logo and web address.

I was very glad to see a local cacher doing that sort of thing. Hopefully more folks will do that. With contact information on the outside of the box, I think there's less chance of trouble with authorities.

Jamie

I spraypaint my ammo boxes in camo, then stencil the words GEOCACHE - NO DANGER - GEOCACHING.COM on it (using black, tan or grey paint depending on where the cache is going). I also add my e-mail address to the outside with a Sharpie marker and glue a laminated copy of the Geocache letter to the inside of the lid.

If I use a plastic container, I place the laminated geocache letter inside, so it can be seen from the outside (using glue to keep it in place) and I also mark the lid with my e-mail address and the website URL

quote:
Originally posted by Bear & Ting: My wife and I were talking about this on the way home the other night and wondered if Cache-owners marked their boxes.

I asked my wife if it was okay for me to mark her box... Well, you-know me...

Don't worry, the eye is healing nicely...

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

quote:
Originally posted by majicman:

--majicman

Maybe if she could attach a lanyard to your "GPS" she would allow it. icon_biggrin.gif

eagle1.jpg

If you fly like an Eagle the Turkeys don't bug you!!!

quote:
Originally posted by majicman:

--majicman

Maybe if she could attach a lanyard to your "GPS" she would allow it. icon_biggrin.gif

eagle1.jpg

If you fly like an Eagle the Turkeys don't bug you!!!

I just put a tracking beacon in mine, disguised with duct tape. Then I can sit at home 24/7 watching the blinking light on my PC. If it ever starts moving, I will just run down there and nab the thief -- that would teach him to run off with my $8.00 can icon_smile.gif

-Brett

I just put a tracking beacon in mine, disguised with duct tape. Then I can sit at home 24/7 watching the blinking light on my PC. If it ever starts moving, I will just run down there and nab the thief -- that would teach him to run off with my $8.00 can icon_smile.gif

-Brett