Does Geocaching cut into your motorcycle riding time?

Well...

I can't say for sure, since I started riding after I started geocaching, but I use the motorcycle for caching trips all the time now... so I think my riding has increased.

Jamie

(although I didn't vote... I really dislike polls.)

quote:
Originally posted by sbukosky:

My miles are WAY down since I began geocaching this last winter. icon_frown.gif How about you?

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

It has slowed down for us. We just started geocaching in april and haven't taken the bikes out like we use to. We don't have saddlebags to hold all our gear, mainly the hiking sticks we just purchased since they aren't compact. We weren't thinking of the bikes when we purchased the hiking sticks. icon_frown.gif

Scarlett

so how far off the road are most of the caches? I've been lurking for the past few months (till I can afford to buy another toy). I've thought it would be fun but most of the time I ride in the mountains, I've got full leathers on and I can't see myself hiking very far into the woods wearing leathers!

maybe one of these days I"ll get an aerostich or something and give that a go...

Jeff

Speedy, in my parts most caches are around .5 miles from where you park. With the twists and turns in the trails, most work out to be a one to two mile hike. Leathers are great for protection from the thorns, but I pretty much ruined my jacket last winter. I bought a new one that will NOT go into the woods with me.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

No, Geocaching is new to us in the last three months, but I have been on a motorcycle for 21 years since I was 14. We just bought a new 1800 Goldwing right when we started caching. The GPS sits right on the display on velcro. I have put more miles on my new wing in the three months than any other year total in the past. Every trip on the 1800 has picked up a cache for us. We look for anything within a mile of pavement on the road. For most of my local caches we need to go off- road to get to and that is OK. I have put on 6500 miles in three months and we have picked up at least 50 caches on the motocycle trips

Maybe you motocycle riders could answer a question for me.

One time I was doing a (virtual) cache at a National Historic Site and a bunch of cyclers pulled up. They seemed, like me, to be on some type of hunt. They had printed sheets that seemed to be a listing of items and they were asking each other if anyone had found such and such yet. The sheets didn't look like geocaching.com pages and they didn't seem to know each other since they were giving introductions to one another.

Is there some type of scavenger hunt that weekend motorcycle riders can get involved with?

Just curious.

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"When your learning to take, the path at your pace...

Every road is worth your while"

SpeedyR: I have an Aerostitch Roadcrafter suit. It is NOT something you want to hike in. It's fairly heavy with armor in the right places. It is NOT flexible for walking. Perfect for riding though...

As for the survey, I ride just as much. I commute on the bike and take the minivan full of kids and friends on the geocaches. Of course, I'm new to the sport of geocaching, so things may change.

- Also Jeff

Smooch,

I don't have the answer to your question in any case... but I think it might be helpful if you knew what kind of bikes they were.

Harley's?

Honda Goldwings?

Sport bikes? (or crotch rockets)

Euro? (BMW, Triumph)

The type of bike might be a strong indicator of the type of activity that was going on.

Jamie

I go through spurts of heavy motorcycle riding then heavy caching. Somewhere in the middle is moto-caching.

I think if it is too hot to cache I will ride.

Talking about jackets, Gotta love that new Firstgear Mesh Tex jacket. It has heavy duty fabric and heavy foam protection for the spine, elbows, and shoulders, but is a mesh that lets the air blow right through it. Might even give marginal protection if some critter wants a bite out of you.

(too hot to cache... so hot my GPSR LCD screen stays black from the heat, somewhere around 150F.)

cycling bach and fourth (how many puns is that now?) keeps me from getting burned out on either sport.

Besides, the Garmin V is right at home on my BMW R1100R...

Well, Your poll doesn't work for me..

It should have had a box "My Riding is Up Becase I cache more on my Bike!"

Bought a new bike at the end of Feb and have 11,000 miles on it now! It only had 4,200 when I got it!

The plates read "GEODASH" that's what I do, Dash out when ever I can!

quote:

My miles are WAY down since I began geocaching this last winter. icon_frown.gif How about you?

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"Just a Short walk" Says....

If You plant a cache they will come.....

I have 98 H-D Sporty. The first year I got it(Last year), I rode 9,000+ miles. This year I may have put 1000 miles on 'er. I usally hunt caches with my kids (3 of them). We all just don't fit on the bike.

I have cached a few times while on my bike. I mounted my GPSr in the middle of the handle bars with velcro and a small bungie cord. Problem is my Garmin Etrex Vista cuts off due to the vibration. It becomes a pain in the rump! So I use my car or van...and believe me the A/C feels great in a cage. icon_cool.gif

to the group ride folks- I would bet either a Poker run (where you get a card at each stop and compare hands at the end to see who "wins". Random winner basically).

The only other group I can think of and it wouldn't be that large would be if the location was on an Iron Butt/Saddle Sore ride. Basically you get points for going to out of the way places between point A and point B. the further away you are, the more points you get (i.e. point A is Miami FL, point B is Outer Band NC. If you can get a photo of you and your bike at some landmark in New Orleans and still make the checkpoint in NC, you get lots of bonus points.). Usually folks on BMW's and Honda Goldwings and Sport touring bikes...

guess I'll have to give it a shot one fo these days when i break down and get a GPSr..

jeff

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

Smooch,

I don't have the answer to your question in any case... but I think it might be helpful if you knew what kind of bikes they were.

Harley's?

Honda Goldwings?

Sport bikes? (or crotch rockets)

Euro? (BMW, Triumph)

The type of bike might be a strong indicator of the type of activity that was going on.

Jamie

Sorry I got back to you late. From the best of my knowledge they were Harleys. Very loud. Tear shaped gas tank. Low seats. Definately not sport bikes or Goldwings. There're the fancy one's I assume?

The riders were all friendly and wore leather everything. Some had headbands. All the guys had beards. I didn't see any Harley insigna.

I'm not a motorcycle person so I hope I'm not sterotyping.

I'm still curious because I saw the same thing again today!

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"When your learning to take, the path at your pace...

Every road is worth your while"

quote:

I want you to appreciate that I'm almost splitting a seam, wanting to make a Honda vs Harley comment about that vibration, but I'm going to be good. icon_biggrin.gif

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

Na, don't hold back.....I can take it. I bought a H-D for serveral reasons.

#1 i have allways wanted a real bike I have had several Yamaha's and still have my 65 Honda 305 SuperHawk. I just allways wanted a H-D.

#2 It holds it's value.

#3 I like the look of the bike, the feel and how easily I can get parts for it.

I don't bash those who prefer "riding rice" I even wave. icon_smile.gif

quote:

I can't argue any of your points. I don't know about ease of finding parts. I've never had to get any! icon_biggrin.gif

By chance do you work for Trane? I know a few guys there.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

No sir, I am a US Army Staff Sergeant currently stationed at Ft. Campbell, KY but I live in Clarksville, TN (it's in my bio).

Now on to the parts I was talking about:

Sissy bar.. oh wait I didn't like that one...I want a taller one...gee...this seat is to big, ok I'll take that one...I also want that seat for when I ride solo, and a quick disconnect for the sissy bar. Well, now the wife and I want to ride together, so I need a fluffy back seat for her and some saddle bags w/ quick disconnect. (facts) not to mention the numerouse amounts of chrome items and performance parts icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by Feros Family on July 17, 2002 at 06:27 PM.]